Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's under the hood?
(07-23-2015, 01:12 AM)tinoroho Wrote: And there you have it. Freudian displacement. You enticed everyone with a delectable inquiry. Make everyone feel like their responses are inadequate. Then, answer your on query as no one else could. Once you start to get praise for what appears to be the answer to the ultimate question. You proceed to belittle the significance and importance of the very subject. Let me stop.

Basically your last 4 paragraphs confirm what all is true mixbus lovers know. You have to spend thousands of dollars to get the sound of a SEVENTY NINE DOLLAR piece of software. That my friend IS the bottom line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that this is pretty hypocritical and comes across to me like a flame. You are trying to belittle the OP here and then you go on with your own answer to the 'ultimate question' as if it is the end of the matter.

OP was just being inquisitive IMHO, I think it's a harmless and interesting topic. Lets keep it civil.
Just to be clear: the HPF is part of the track EQ. When you engage the EQ, the HPF filter is also engaged, but by default it is at 20Hz. This is not intended to be an audible effect. (but it might have subtle effects on headroom or whatever, if you have subsonic information in your tracks)

By starting the plot scale at 1Hz, it looks like a dramatic effect, which it is not Smile
(07-23-2015, 10:56 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Just to be clear: the HPF is part of the track EQ. When you engage the EQ, the HPF filter is also engaged, but by default it is at 20Hz. This is not intended to be an audible effect. (but it might have subtle effects on headroom or whatever, if you have subsonic information in your tracks)

By starting the plot scale at 1Hz, it looks like a dramatic effect, which it is not Smile

Plus the FFT Analyzer used in RMorgan's screenshots is quite low resolution at low frequencies...

...plus it also displays quite some ripple across the spectrum as you can't really display an accurate frequency response by just putting some pink noise through the DSP and measuring it with such an analyzer with relatively fast response, wich makes it even more inaccurate down there. At least the analyzer should compare the unaffected with the affected noise, so it can use the difference to display a response that's a little more accurate.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Disclaimer: Any resemblance of my nick with a given engineer is purely coincidental!
Desktop: AMD Phenom II x6, 4 GB RAM, Radeon graphics, RME HDSP 9652
Laptop: Thinkpad E560, i3 6100U, 8 GB RAM, Intel graphics, Tascam US-2x2
X32 Rack - Debian GNU/Linux - 32c
(07-23-2015, 10:56 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Just to be clear: the HPF is part of the track EQ. When you engage the EQ, the HPF filter is also engaged, but by default it is at 20Hz. This is not intended to be an audible effect. (but it might have subtle effects on headroom or whatever, if you have subsonic information in your tracks)

(07-23-2015, 11:22 AM)the C.L.A. Wrote: Plus the FFT Analyzer used in RMorgan's screenshots is quite low resolution at low frequencies...

...plus it also displays quite some ripple across the spectrum as you can't really display an accurate frequency response by just putting some pink noise through the DSP and measuring it with such an analyzer with relatively fast response, wich makes it even more inaccurate down there. At least the analyzer should compare the unaffected with the affected noise, so it can use the difference to display a response that's a little more accurate.

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it.

Like I said, I'm far from being an expert in these kind of technicalities.

I was mostly looking for a reasonable visual representation of what Mixbus is actually doing to sound, to satisfy my own curiosity.

I'm certainly aware that it takes a lot more than a couple of hours (and a lot more knowledge) to analyze these kind of things with scientifically sound accuracy.

Please, feel free to correct me any time.Smile