Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I think Mixbus crashes on Windows
First of all, I am no computer whiz. I know just enough to help myself.
What I am noticing with Mixbus, when using the ASIO driver option in the set up dialog box is:

1) Mixbus starts up with a default sample rate of 44KHZ, which cannot be changed (on my system) until I change the audio protocol to something else ( for instance - Jack), then change back to ASIO, which then allows me to change to 48khz.

2) What seems to be happening in my case (because I could see a display of the sample settings on my audio interface) is that, even when Mixbus eventually accepts the 48KHZ change in its setup, my audio interface continues to read 44KHZ.
This causes Mixbus to crash and only when i get the sample rates to correspond. will the session open.
Once it opens, it works like a charm ( running a 50 mono tracks session with no crashes or audio stutter at 13% DSP)
Just thought that I will post this observation so that others; including Harrison could look into it.

Jouvert
Mixbus/Windows- VST Plugins
(07-17-2015, 10:34 PM)Jouvert Wrote: This causes Mixbus to crash and only when i get the sample rates to correspond. will the session open.
Once it opens, it works like a charm ( running a 50 mono tracks session with no crashes or audio stutter at 13% DSP)
Just thought that I will post this observation so that others; including Harrison could look into it.

Jouvert

Thanks for your observations Jouvert.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
What happens when you set the sample rate in the ASIO control application first and only then start Mixbus? I mean, tricking Mixbus with setting it up for something else and then switching back cannot work, as you found out yourself. It's like setting the exposure time on a camera in a dark room and then taking a picture in the sunshine Smile

MMM
P.S.: I'm so conservative, I always set up the hardware (with correct sample rates and buffers) before I start software, so I didn't stumble upon this yet...
Exactly the same problem here with my setup: Win 7 prof, 32 bit, Motu 24io.
It makes no difference if I try to change the samplerate to 48khz - for example - in the Motu control panel before, it will jump back to 44,1 when I Launch MB3 and then chrashes when I try to change it.
Ben from Mixbus Support told me to use another driver like Port Audio.... with this trick it worked and I could change the sample rate for my project but I don't trust this solution until it's solved and working in a correct way.
(07-18-2015, 02:19 AM)Twintone Wrote: Exactly the same problem here with my setup: Win 7 prof, 32 bit, Motu 24io.
It makes no difference if I try to change the samplerate to 48khz - for example - in the Motu control panel before, it will jump back to 44,1 when I Launch MB3 and then chrashes when I try to change it.
Ben from Mixbus Support told me to use another driver like Port Audio.... with this trick it worked and I could change the sample rate for my project but I don't trust this solution until it's solved and working in a correct way.

I am noticing the same problem with ASIO sample rates. I was first able to get it to run using PortAudio and it was fairly stable.

After working through a few problems, I was able to get ASIO working and this is where I'm seeing all of the crashes. If PortAudio supported midi, a lot of my problems would be solved.
Agreed with Jouvert, noticed the same issues on my windows computer. I change ASIO sample rate on ASIO4ALl and RME/Yamaha ASIO drivers and then I open MB3. Except on xjadeo issues, it's the only pb I have with MB3. Not bad for a new daw Smile
(07-18-2015, 01:27 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: What happens when you set the sample rate in the ASIO control application first and only then start Mixbus? I mean, tricking Mixbus with setting it up for something else and then switching back cannot work, as you found out yourself. It's like setting the exposure time on a camera in a dark room and then taking a picture in the sunshine Smile

MMM
P.S.: I'm so conservative, I always set up the hardware (with correct sample rates and buffers) before I start software, so I didn't stumble upon this yet...

Yes Madmaxmiller, I do follow best practices and change my sample rate from my audio interface prior to opening mixbus, but it resets to the default sample rate of 44KHZ, once mixbus starts.
It seems that mixbus natively only recognises 44KHZ (ASIO drivers) and when this is change by the user, to something else- when you close and re-open mixbus, it acts like a DAW with Alzheimer's Big Grin (it doesn't remember the new sample rate, even though you saved the project with the new settings).
What I have also noticed is, once you get mixbus running and you are going from one session to another, use the "Close" feature (File Menu) and not the "red X". Mixbus will go back to its start up dialogue box and remember the sample change (The green "active" light will remain on)
V2 always remembered the sample rate change, so I think that Harrison need to see what they did differently in v3.

Jouvert
Thanks Jouvert. As soon as I'm well (have a heavy sinus atm, nearly deaf, couldn't tell a kick drum from a cymbal lol) I will set up a windows machine and try helping. I still believe v3 will work fine as long as you use JACK... See you, MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
that's what i like to see; users of other Os's pitching in to help their fellow mixbuser.
Keep it on the "Down Under" Smile

Jouvert
@Jouvert,

Every time the "Audio Setup" dialog is shown, Mixbus queries all the connected soundcards to see if they support 44, 48, 96, etc. We actually open the soundcard to test it. It appears that some hardware/drivers do not like to be queried very quickly, like that. They can't change sample rates so fast. I think this is why some people have a lot of problems with audio I/O, while others have no trouble at all. We are working on it..