Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I think Mixbus crashes on Windows
(07-18-2015, 01:27 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: What happens when you set the sample rate in the ASIO control application first and only then start Mixbus?

Here's what I do for changing buffer sizes, in case it helps...

1) Start Mixbus at whatever sample rate / buffer size is currently showing and load a session.

2) With the session open, launch the control app for my ASIO device (ASIO4ALL in my case) and use it to change to the desired buffer size.

3) Save the session, shut down Mixbus and re-launch. In my case it will now re-launch with the new buffer size.

With ASIO4ALL, I don't normally need to do this for sample rate changes but maybe it'll be relevant for some devices(?) On my system, ASIO4ALL is the only ASIO driver I have available.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
Hi madmaxmiller,

thanks for the reply. Actually this time, when I start MB3, instead of choosing 'ASIO', I went for 'Port Audio' instead. Under 'Port Audio', you're still allowed to choose the audio interface of your liking, so that's cool.

This time round, MB3 starts a 48khz session smoothly. Perhaps I'll use this for now.

Gonna be playing around with this for awhile, see what else crops up.
(07-18-2015, 05:36 PM)BHBstudio Wrote: .

BHB

the screenshot you included has a virus.

Better check your machine ..

Frank
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
Okays, some first impressions here. First off; my specs:

Win7 64bit
i7 2600k 8 core
32G ram
gaming videocard

'Bugs':

1. Certain plugins like iZotope and Slate do not work when inserted into any channel. In my case I don't even see the signals coming in, inside the plugins.

2. Display-oriented bugs. Whenever I go under 'View' and summon up other windows like meter bridge, it stubbornly hides behind the editor and mixer windows. I have to shift windows around just to access those and drag them to another area. This could just be a Windows-specific problem...you know..Aero settings..openGL...etc

3. The Input-Trim seems to be more gain/'distortion'-based, rather than volume-based. Although adjusting the gain on the audio events themselves work just the same.

'Nice To Haves':

1. It would be nice to be able to simply select ANY group of channels, 'link' them, and adjust ANY perimeter collectively. Be it the faders, input trims, pans, EQs, or even inserting a plugin. Right now MB3 has the 'grouping' system (accessed on the left side of the mixer window), which is nice. But to have to create a group, and then removing the group is quite a hassle. Why not just have a quick 'link' or 'unlink' button?

Sometimes I want to adjust both the bass and guitars, but other times I want to adjust the guitars and something else. It would be good to be able to fluidly select a bunch of channels and collectively adjust whatever you need, and then just simply 'unlink' them.

2. 8 mixbusses is really not quite enough. Especially for work that involves a shitload of tracks, where there is alot more bussing involved, where a handful of busses are routed to OTHER buses, before finally reaching the Master output.
Be it orchestral work, hybrid score work, or basically anything that requires alot of busses.

For example, if I have a woodwinds section with Flute 1,2, Oboes 1,2, Clarinets 1,2 Bassoons 1,2, I'd like to be able to group each instrument pair to a bus of their own, and then route ALL the busses into a MAIN bus called 'Woodwinds', before that goes to the Master fader.

Right now, MB3's mixbusses do not seem to be able to be routed to other mixbusses...or am I missing something here?

Loves:

1. The panning sounds and works as it should. No weird phasing or stereo-typical issues (excuse the pun)

2. The EQs are transparent and fantastic. Not too crazy about the compressors though, although could take alittle getting used to

3. Able to change color themes without having to restart the program. Fuck yeah.

4. It took me alot LESS time to mix a session I previously attempted in Nuendo, and the mix sounded BETTER! Everything just sits together like a bunch of babies' backsides nestled in a circle of pillows, without the elements actually disrupting each other. Goddaaaaaaaaaaamnn....

Just importing the audio tracks into MB3 makes a HUGE difference. I can't explain it, but Harrison has definitely done something very right here, unlike other neutral DAWs.

Since my work primarily involves compositional work, I will still use Cubase for sequencing, editing and basic mixing, because for one I'm used to it and I just move alot faster within that environment. DAWs like Logic, Cubase, FL are really quite unbeatable for MIDI capability.

Harrison is really on to something here. Hope the bugs and improvements get addressed, because just the default sound of this thing is worth the price of admission in the workflow.
(08-03-2015, 01:53 AM)Teo Wrote: Hi madmaxmiller,

thanks for the reply. Actually this time, when I start MB3, instead of choosing 'ASIO', I went for 'Port Audio' instead. Under 'Port Audio', you're still allowed to choose the audio interface of your liking, so that's cool.

This time round, MB3 starts a 48khz session smoothly. Perhaps I'll use this for now.

The sound engine for me a bit confusing in V3.
On V2 it listed some and they were all real
onV3 more are listed and can be choosen though not exist in reality
my system soundcard does not have ASIO but I can select it as an option, though false, in V3

I mean more combinations of "Audio System" and "Device" can be chosen than physically exist. Sometimes a "non existing" works better.

Also if V2 is opened after V3 it cannot find Jack if they were stealing Jack from one anotherSmile it depends which audio engine combination was chosen before but to many variations to remember which causes what. any ASIO freezes 90 % on my dual core laptop win7
(08-03-2015, 09:18 AM)Tassy Wrote:
(08-03-2015, 01:53 AM)Teo Wrote: Hi madmaxmiller,

The sound engine for me a bit confusing in V3.
On V2 it listed some and they were all real
onV3 more are listed and can be choosen though not exist in reality
my system soundcard does not have ASIO but I can select it as an option, though false, in V3

I mean more combinations of "Audio System" and "Device" can be chosen than physically exist. Sometimes a "non existing" works better.

Also if V2 is opened after V3 it cannot find Jack if they were stealing Jack from one anotherSmile it depends which audio engine combination was chosen before but to many variations to remember which causes what. any ASIO freezes 90 % on my dual core laptop win7

Interesting. I know there's something to it, and was hoping that would be considered by the makers. Plus, being able to select a hardware of your choice without 'virtual' methods should be a basic thing, regardless if you run dual-core or 8 core. We'll see how this turns out.

I've also run into problems regarding getting audio from Youtube or browsers or just even my normal media player, while MB3 is running. Other DAWs don't seem to have this problem. I think you're right - MB3 has somehow 'hijacked' the output on my RME interface, that does not allow other programs to utilize audio. Which is weird, because my RME interface has multiple outs. But I think since MB3 utilizes the 'multiple-route' capability at the hardware level inside the mixer, I'm not surprised that MB3 would hog the entire interface for itself.

I guess...which means I have to get a separate soundcard to do 'normal media playback' routines, which means I can't switch in between speakers during my mixing because the consumer speaker has to be connected to the soundcard instead of the fireface (which drivers I use for work).

Stuff like that is definitely not in the 'win7 or win10' arena.

There's quite a few show-stoppers unfortunately...but damn, the sound of this thing....arrrgh!
For example, if I have a woodwinds section with Flute 1,2, Oboes 1,2, Clarinets 1,2 Bassoons 1,2, I'd like to be able to group each instrument pair to a bus of their own, and then route ALL the busses into a MAIN bus called 'Woodwinds', before that goes to the Master fader.

you can route each pair to a bus, and all the bus to a mixbus , no ??

For the sample rate, I use to click on the " Device Control Panel", then you change your sample rate, or just click sur OK, then you can open the "Sample Rate" or "Buffer Size" then OK, and it goes.
(08-03-2015, 03:23 PM)Ivanoff Wrote: For example, if I have a woodwinds section with Flute 1,2, Oboes 1,2, Clarinets 1,2 Bassoons 1,2, I'd like to be able to group each instrument pair to a bus of their own, and then route ALL the busses into a MAIN bus called 'Woodwinds', before that goes to the Master fader.

you can route each pair to a bus, and all the bus to a mixbus , no ??

For the sample rate, I use to click on the " Device Control Panel", then you change your sample rate, or just click sur OK, then you can open the "Sample Rate" or "Buffer Size" then OK, and it goes.

In regards to the bussing....nope...can't seem to find a direct way of connecting these up. Plus if I can't mass-modify any selection of tracks at the same time, it just feels really off.

Already tried the device control panel thing. It keeps getting slapped back into 44.1khz everytime I start MB3 under 'ASIO'. Then it tells me 'could not open session'. I turn off MB3. Go to device panel, switch it back to 48khz. Turn on MB3, and 'viola', it forces my device to go back into 44.1khz.
(08-04-2015, 02:35 AM)Teo Wrote: Already tried the device control panel thing. It keeps getting slapped back into 44.1khz everytime I start MB3 under 'ASIO'. Then it tells me 'could not open session'. I turn off MB3. Go to device panel, switch it back to 48khz. Turn on MB3, and 'viola', it forces my device to go back into 44.1khz.

This issue affects some specific ASIO devices, and we believe we have resolved the problem. The fix will be in the next "interim release" which we hope to publish later this week. (no guarantees though).

You can email your system specs ( including your OS version and I/O interface ) to mixbus@harrisonconsoles.com and (if we don't already have someone with that setup) we might choose to send you a link to a beta package.
(08-04-2015, 11:41 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote:
(08-04-2015, 02:35 AM)Teo Wrote: Already tried the device control panel thing. It keeps getting slapped back into 44.1khz everytime I start MB3 under 'ASIO'. Then it tells me 'could not open session'. I turn off MB3. Go to device panel, switch it back to 48khz. Turn on MB3, and 'viola', it forces my device to go back into 44.1khz.

This issue affects some specific ASIO devices, and we believe we have resolved the problem. The fix will be in the next "interim release" which we hope to publish later this week. (no guarantees though).

You can email your system specs ( including your OS version and I/O interface ) to mixbus@harrisonconsoles.com and (if we don't already have someone with that setup) we might choose to send you a link to a beta package.

Sounds good... of course in this journey, nothing's guaranteed...I just really appreciate the good stuff that you guys have come up with in terms of sound. Kindly forgive my 'generation kind'...heha.

I'll do that, not because I expect my system that's been giving me hell since I started to run MB3 'smoother'...but if any info helps, why not.
Thank you so much for your aesthetics.