Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
v3 and control surfaces
(01-24-2016, 11:58 AM)Yriisem Wrote: Overmann
Quote: Are you guys here on the forum using something that your very happy with and that translates well to mixbus 3?
I use BCF2000 of everything is enough. Harrison I think shortly will add the button of management of aux and then there will be a full management of a mixer
foto:
http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...hp?aid=511
http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...hp?aid=513
http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...hp?aid=518
http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...hp?aid=512
http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...hp?aid=517

Thanks for the info, Yriisem! That looks workable. I admit to not being particularly clear on what someone can expect from such a controller. The whole shift + thing is probably tranferable to any other controller as well. In that case my options increase! This is great. Ill look into BCF2000 and similar options.
(01-23-2016, 09:36 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(01-23-2016, 07:56 PM)Grumpy Wrote: It's very nice to hear that the MCU (Pro) with extenders is now supported...

Just do it now. $40 is the best you can get and the 3.1 update will be free anyway. Also, as a forum member you can download the latest interim release and use it with your license, so you have most of the 3.1 functionality (including MCU) right now...

HTH
MMM

OK, I just bought the upgrade. Can you point me to the best source for info about how to implement the Mackie MCU w/Extenders/V-pots?

Thanks.
It's in the settings under control surfaces. I started a thread here when it was first implemented. But it's straight forward anyway.
Cheers MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(01-25-2016, 06:28 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: It's in the settings under control surfaces. I started a thread here when it was first implemented. But it's straight forward anyway.
Cheers MMM

OK, thanks. I'll give it a look whenever I get around to breathing life into the Mixbus system again (if I ever get to do so).
Well, I've read your other thread... I had 20 years IT and 10 with Linux experience when I first started making music with Linux and Ardour. It took me a while to get my head around Alsa, Jack, Ardour, plugins etc
May I suggest you start with a stock distro with defaults and explore things first? Building the killer recording and mixing system will ne mote fun after that. Have a nice day, I will now preparing to fire up the Australia Day BBQ :-)
MMM

*be more fun, stupid phone keyboard...
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(01-25-2016, 11:11 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Well, I've read your other thread... I had 20 years IT and 10 with Linux experience when I first started making music with Linux and Ardour. It took me a while to get my head around Alsa, Jack, Ardour, plugins etc
May I suggest you start with a stock distro with defaults and explore things first? Building the killer recording and mixing system will ne mote fun after that. Have a nice day, I will now preparing to fire up the Australia Day BBQ :-)
MMM

*be more fun, stupid phone keyboard...

I've read enough of your posts to have already gotten that impression about you. And if you won't mind, I'm sure that I'll want to pick your brain about things at various points.

Personally, having reached an age where it feels like there's only about half an hour left to go, I have abandoned the M.O. of starting with something and then evolving towards something else. That makes more sense for people who haven't traveled as far down the path as I have, and/or have lots of time ahead of them.

At this point, I am likely to initially bring up some workable Linux distro (probably Ubuntu Studio as Frank suggested) so that I can play with Mixbus sooner rather than later. But in the background, if I can manage to spend the time to do so, I will get up to speed with Gentoo Linux, so as to gain complete control over the OS. I'll work my way through (every page of) Bryan Ward's How Linux Works with Christopher Negus's Linux Bible close at hand. Te reason why I want to do that is to decouple myself from the likes of Microsoft and Apple, both of whom are Hell-bent on dumbing down their OSs to make them the same as smartphones (which makes sense for them).

I am already spending about 12-16 hours a day, studying open source programming languages, tools, etc., version control systems, language-aware editors (like Atom and Sublime Text), etc. and have been doing so for months, trying to resurrect/sharpen my programming abilities. I used to do soup-to-nuts system design (both analog & digital electronics as well as the system software and user interfaces to run on it), but have spent the past couple of decades doing media creation, marketing projects, writing and other things. Anyway, it remains to be seen whether or not I can run down the runway fast enough to accomplish lift-off after all this time.

I'd like to supplement my all high-end analog audio recording/mixing gear with Mixbus, to facilitate more automated "sound-for-film" work here. I've tried using other DAW software in the past (including the most expensive stuff out there) but have never gotten anywhere with it. I've had Mixbus since v2 came out, but have never actually used it. What little DAW-oriented work I have done has been in Reaper. But I like the feel and sound character of Mixbus, and am familiar with film scoring and hit record production work done by friends of mine who have been married to large-frame Harrison consoles. So Mixbus appeals to me on multiple levels.
(01-11-2016, 04:02 PM)colejustesen Wrote: I was curious if Mixbus 3 would support the Nektar Panorama P1? If anyone knows the answer I would appreciate knowing. Thanks!

EDIT: I went ahead and bought this controller as I was told it would work if Mixbus supported Mackie Control (which I believe it does). Here is to easier mixing...

Cole

I think that the P1 would work very well with MixBus after some tweaking. Keep in mind that the Nektar-supported DAWs such as Reaper and Cubase use custom mapping. It may take some time if Nektar doesn't work up such a profile for MixBus, but you should be able to do it with a bit of forethought and some time. I wrote to Tim at Nektar a while back and suggested that they take a look at MixBus and develop a profile for it. You may want to do the same as a show of support for MixBus profiles.
I had a short meeting with the Nektar "chief" at NAMM; I think you can expect some collaboration in the future although I certainly can't estimate a schedule or featureset at this early stage.

Best,
-Ben
(01-26-2016, 02:41 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: I had a short meeting with the Nektar "chief" at NAMM; I think you can expect some collaboration in the future although I certainly can't estimate a schedule or featureset at this early stage.

Best,
-Ben

That would be great! Thanks for the heads up. I need to figure out how for Mixbus to recognize the P1 right now. I am hoping this will be able to keep me entertained until the control surface for Mixbus is released...

Cole