Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sidechaining external plugins in V3
Thanks man Wink
(07-10-2015, 10:38 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: We need to document both of these items in a video. I'll put that on the list.

-Ben

PLease do it!! SmileSmileSmile
Another faster idea is to put some extra pages in MB's manual
Cheers
(07-17-2015, 05:37 AM)BHBstudio Wrote: Yes it is quite easy the builtin but only if you want to use it for one instrument. How i'm I going to assign my hi hat to synth? my Kick drum to bass?

I agree, how can we do that ? I'd like an explanation, cause till now the sidechaining on Mixbus2 seemed much more efficient.
Second test:

First one was done on Windows and fabfilter multicomp plugin
it works (but with latency issue)

Second one, same plugin on Mac
same settings and it doesn't work, bus with 3 input doesn't allow to insert the plugin

Is this an Ardour issue or VST vs AU plugin format ?

Thanks
d
Normally from the easy going approach of Harrison, I would never expect a headache like this to create side chain. this ">" button right there could have done everything with a popup screen asking me to send a side chain to the builtin compressor bus, Plugins compressor, gate, eq, you name it. I really don't know what Harrison is thinking about it.
(07-20-2015, 12:37 PM)BHBstudio Wrote: Normally from the easy going approach of Harrison, I would never expect a headache like this to create side chain. this ">" button right there could have done everything with a popup screen asking me to send a side chain to the builtin compressor bus, Plugins compressor, gate, eq, you name it. I really don't know what Harrison is thinking about it.

I think the ">" button is great, but it is just one and we usually need more sidechain features

kick on bass
vocal on pads
vocals on efx
etc.

if it couldn't be possible to sidechain external plugin, at least we could have a popup menu from the > button to redirect those to different busses
we'ld need also more busses available (12 ?)
the 8 are ok, plus 4 for special routing (latency compensated)

Ben, could be done ?
Thanks
d
Anyone solved this puzzle? for me, it's still charadeSmile Ben said. that it is easier than ever, But I like can't understand that. It is not logical. I see a matrix, see Sidechaining is red, but I do not see where you select the entry with the desired track for me. V 2.5 was this more helpfulSmile
So I can't simply put sidechain on my bass track. I need to send it to a special bus? So I'm going to loose plugin delay compensation? Am I right?
(09-01-2015, 07:58 AM)Yriisem Wrote: Anyone solved this puzzle? for me, it's still charadeSmile Ben said. that it is easier than ever, But I like can't understand that. It is not logical. I see a matrix, see Sidechaining is red, but I do not see where you select the entry with the desired track for me. V 2.5 was this more helpfulSmile

I know! Even with the builtin compression method Version 2 is a lot more superior. So my only option is to use plugin for side-chaining however I couldn't figure out or may be it is not working. That's my main reason which got me back to studio one 3 and honestly it is growing on me right now. Since I don't worry about whether it is working or not. I know it works and it is not a rocket science there, It is just a click away. I'm enjoying mixing experience with waves NLS and ssl plugins. No problem, I still have love for Harrison Mixbus but, I will use it when I get extra busses and the side chain working.
I still think that we should have a gate on every channel strip.
Some may argue that:
1) mixbus is already bogged down dspwise
2) How often would a gate be used by many people
But in keeping with the spirit of and analog console and workflow, I think that having a gate per channel it does make sense and once it's there, I am sure that a lot of people would find uses for it such as a simple de-esser for vocals, tightening up kick drum hits, and generally creating space in the mix etc.
I don't know how much more dsp it will take to implement these gates, but once mixbus is up and running correctly, i think that the next step should be to see if the dsp load could be reduced so as to give more overhead.
By the way, I am the one who said that not having a gate on every channel is just not civilized.

Jouvert
Mixbus/Windows- VST Plugins