Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't understand performance
Hi all,

I recently updated my system to a brand new notebook i7 12 gen, 32 GB Ram and so on. When in Mixbus I cannot use any low buffer size settings although my CPU and Ram are chilling. Do I miss out on anything substential? Is there any settings I should check? Is Win11 a problem (thats what I am just new to)? Any hint welcome. I think this setup should do fine even with bigger sessions but I have the problems even when just having one track and a plugin alliance amp sim on it.

Best
Arne
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
update: I also have DSP load above 60% with higher buffer settings in a session with just 1 track and a amp simulation while my CPU ist chilling at 3% abd RAM about 20%. I don't get it.
Was this not the case with the same version of Mixbus on the older computer?

Define exactly what "higher buffer settings" are.

Does 1 track mean only one recorded or armed, or only one even showing on the mix window?
I believe every track that is "active", even if there is nothing on it, still has processing going on with the channel strip portion, eq even though not "active", limiter compressor, etc.

Exactly what notebook computer?

What amp simulation?

Audient iD44 MKII or the 1st one?

Not that I could answer based on these answers, but someone will sure want them.

I have had my fill of creation type software giving me problems on my high-end PCs, running Windows from XP to 11 Pro, and higher end low latency promised hardware (like Thunderbolt 3).

It is my thinking that most creation apps like this are developed on Macs, and once they get them acceptable for release, they get ported to Windows.
At this point, they are tired, Windows is more an afterthought and nuisance, and frankly pain in the butt for the developers that are working originally in MAC.
This isn't a slam at Harrison, the guys have been great with any issues I have brought to them. Just my opinions on things in the industry in general.

Therefore, I have just installed my 1st (always said I would never get) Mac Studio M1 Max.
Just need to turn it on and start setting it all up.
I am excited and hopeful that a system so tightly integrated like this will run circles around my purpose-built PCs built around high-end gaming motherboards.
And a bit scared that it may not do much for me... but here is hoping, and I will let you know how it handles 64 or fewer buffers to get round trip in the box recording and monitoring down to an acceptable level.

I do know that with MB, just loading a Waves reverb for the vocal tracking session would really affect how low I could go with the buffers.

Frankly, I am tired of being with a client, with a freshly booted Windows PC, start a MB session with ZERO non Mixbus included plugins, play the client's song, and MB just disappears 20 or so seconds into the song.
I am putting my money on Windows and PC being the weak link at this point, and really hope I don't get burned by it.

So good luck to us both!
Mixbus 10 Pro 10.0.0
Apple Mac Studio M1 Ventura 13.6.7
PreSonus Quantum 2626
iCON V1-M & 2 Extenders
X-Touch & 2 Extenders
Hi Jeff. So this is the notebook i have configuration 32 GB some extra hard disk and win 11 pro: https://www.da-x.de/de/pro-audio-noteboo...rator.html

Session is empty except one track with any amp simulation. First I tried plugin alliance engel savage 120 because it is my favourite. Then I tried others, for example the wall of sound one which is included in the arc bundle from audient (it‘s even worse).

Higher buffer size means 1024 samples and above, so that it impossible to play your instrument through mixbus.

My audient id44 is mkII

My old computer had quite a similar behavior, but it was only a i5 gen 3 with 8GB RAM, so I was sure that the notebook had not enough power to handle all.

So I am clueless atm. There should be a significant boost of performance between these two setups, but it actually is not. I will try Reaper next time I have some spare time, just to be sure it is a software thing and not hardware issue, but I am nearly sure it is mixbus, because windows resource monitor shows nearly no need of power, only mixbus dsp load is bad (and if it reaches 100 it does baaaaad noise). By the way, session with one track and no plugin is at around 40%DSP load.

If anyone needs further information in order to help me, let me know, I will kindly answer all questions on the topic and try everything I understand Wink
Not a Win user, but from the Knowledge base... https://mixbus.helpscoutdocs.com/article...-dsp-usage
Bottom of article are some guides to optimisation in Windows...

Also check Preferences / Performance and make sure DSP CPU Utilisation is set to 'all but one processor'.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
all but one is set, I‘ll try the other tweaks, but am not very full of hope that this will work, becaus DAX normally does optimize the systems they sell for real time application.

Perhaps I have to try connecting my audient to a usb port instead of thunderbold, which in theory should be compatible with usb via usb-c but who knows…
https://www.audinate.com/learning/faqs/h...erformance
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
"extra hard disk" is SSD?
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
I'm not sure if it's a coincidence (or even my imagination!) but recent reports of poor performance often seem to mention the i7 cpu. I haven't noticed if they also involve Win11.

@arthie - I know it's a bit of a faff - but if you're seeing poor performance even without 3rd party plugins, it'd be helpful to know what happens if you install Jack (i.e. do you still see poor figures and poor performance or does Jack improve things? )
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(12-10-2022, 02:45 AM)Tassy Wrote: "extra hard disk" is SSD?

Yes both system and extra hard disk is ssd.