Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
32C Channel on Youtube
May I draw your attention to the following YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSHexh1yNoc&t=5s
Dan Worrall tested the 32C Channel some time ago and expressed some criticism, mainly about the marketing but also about the technical implementation of the equaliser.
He has now received a reply from Harrison, which I find quite impertinent, as it makes the customers - i.e. us - responsible for false assumptions.
Beyond the fact that the justifications put forward are technically very questionable, I also think it is very counterproductive not to admit to a marketing error.
I think we all know here why we use the Mixbus DAW, but as a new customer with at least basic knowledge of audio processing, Harrison's statements would probably discourage me from trying out a product.
Would it perhaps be advisable to give the marketing department - and I very much hope that they are the ones causing this - a hint that they are mainly dealing with (semi)professionals here who see through such arguments and to publish a corresponding apology?
MB 32C 9.1.324 / Ubuntu 22.04 LTS - KDE / Kernel 5.14.0 / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core / NVIDIA GP108 Driver 390.147 / Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Hey Holger,

I am the "idiot" who made the response and no harm was intended. As for the customer comment I was trying to show that there are two stories being told here and the Harrison story has much more weight than a reviewer on youtube. Just because he thinks the plugin/DAW should have saturation doesn't mean it needs to or the intent of the console 45 years ago was aiming at doing that either. The plugin and the DAW are providing tools for mixing that function the same way the console did. A digital EQ will cramp but that is not what's important when using our products.

A proper video response is in the works.

You can read this page in the manual to better understand the history and goal of the company.
https://rsrc.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus...out-mixbus

Hope that helps
The Doctor
Getting Surgical with Audio
Some parties need to prove that Mixbus products are snake oil. Sorry to tell them that they are actually excellent tools. However, you don't have to use them. You can always record on the answering machine if it feels better and mix with a blender. Big Grin
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

(09-20-2022, 01:46 PM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: Some parties need to prove that Mixbus products are snake oil. Sorry to tell them that they are actually excellent tools. However, you don't have to use them. You can always record on the answering machine if it feels better and mix with a blender. Big Grin

answering machines would definitely impart some lo-fi distortion to the sound. Could start a new trend.
The Doctor
I made a comment on that video. "RattusSolarus" username. It really dismays me on the internet how so many uninformed commenters like to jump on bandwagons and rant about things they don't understand just because other commenters do the same. Moronic sheeples. The internet is a game to them of "How much shit can I pour into the world today?".
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

Sunrat sees it clear and tells the truth.
Net is a shit and so is facebook.
99% harm
It is a pity that some useful or important things can be arranged only on them and not on decent pages.
For example a good band does not have or have a not-uptodate homepage and their concerts can be known only by facebook
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
Nathan,
sorry, honestly I didn't expect that ;-) I hope the 'idot' was ironic, that's a label I would never give you! I'm a regular watcher and fan of your videos - as I am with Dan's videos. (And no - I'm not a binchwatcher, there are only two others I regular watch...)
However, if we abstract from 'he wants to make us look bad', 'their software is rubbish', Dan simply has some points that are undeniable from my point of view. Just as one example: There are no complete linear analog devices, therefore the statement "every resistor, transistor and capacitor is included in the model" simply wrong.
Moreover, what is this statement supposed to trigger in the minds of us - the customers: Oh great, this is an absolutely clinical linear equaliser? Com'on...
I would be more pleased with a factual correction than with the insistence on such statements.
Holger
MB 32C 9.1.324 / Ubuntu 22.04 LTS - KDE / Kernel 5.14.0 / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core / NVIDIA GP108 Driver 390.147 / Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
(09-21-2022, 11:35 AM)Holger Wrote: Nathan,
sorry, honestly I didn't expect that ;-) I hope the 'idot' was ironic, that's a label I would never give you! I'm a regular watcher and fan of your videos - as I am with Dan's videos. (And no - I'm not a binchwatcher, there are only two others I regular watch...)
However, if we abstract from 'he wants to make us look bad', 'their software is rubbish', Dan simply has some points that are undeniable from my point of view. Just as one example: There are no complete linear analog devices, therefore the statement "every resistor, transistor and capacitor is included in the model" simply wrong.
Moreover, what is this statement supposed to trigger in the minds of us - the customers: Oh great, this is an absolutely clinical linear equaliser? Com'on...
I would be more pleased with a factual correction than with the insistence on such statements.
Holger

from what I understand by working with the guy who actually designed the EQ and console for that matter is that whatever "non linearties" were in the console a is was marginally small and wasn't the main focus of what made the console great.   The parts and values were chosen to get the desired EQ curve and were not chosen because they imparted a certain amount of "analog mojo".   Just because you can match the EQ curves with a run of the mill stock plugin doesn't take away from the fact that using the Harrison EQ can get the job done faster and ultimately sound better because you were able to think like an engineer and not someone analyzing what the tool is actually doing. 

There are official responses on the gear page thread that was started a year ago that tells the story better than I ever can. 

I found Mixbus after using Reaper for 10 years and I much enjoy using Mixbus way more than I ever did in Reaper.  The proof is in the results of my mixes and that has to count for something.
The Doctor
"I much enjoy using Mixbus": We can agree on this.
Let's leave it at that ;-)
(09-21-2022, 02:13 PM)Nathan@Harrison Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 11:35 AM)Holger Wrote: Nathan,
Holger

from what I understand by working with the guy who actually designed the EQ and console for that matter is that whatever "non linearties" were in the console a is was marginally small and wasn't the main focus of what made the console great.   The parts and values were chosen to get the desired EQ curve and were not chosen because they imparted a certain amount of "analog mojo".   Just because you can match the EQ curves with a run of the mill stock plugin doesn't take away from the fact that using the Harrison EQ can get the job done faster and ultimately sound better because you were able to think like an engineer and not someone analyzing what the tool is actually doing. 

There are official responses on the gear page thread that was started a year ago that tells the story better than I ever can. 

I found Mixbus after using Reaper for 10 years and I much enjoy using Mixbus way more than I ever did in Reaper.  The proof is in the results of my mixes and that has to count for something.

coming from proTools and can confirm: using mixbus did make my mixes better, too. I have not yet analized why, but I enjoy that it is this way. I just realised that I have to invest in a computer with more power (the macbook in my singanture would do the job but it is from work and for my private use I need something better then the lenovo. Having lots of crashes in the past few days, probably because CPU is at a very high load - even while at 2048 Samples buffer Big Grin )
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2