Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
myriad of issues (VST3,PDC,CRASHING)
(05-25-2022, 02:32 AM)dna598 Wrote: Many of my VST3 plug ins that work fine in Reaper do not get their outputs seen by Mixbus, therefore preventing mutli-timbral operation.

When i use a plugin that has latency. it is not compensated for,  throwing the timing off.

I tested pitch shifting a region (one little snare sample) which results in a guaranteed crash.

This is all a bit much to accept, even at sale price.

Wintel10 x64

New user of V8 since yesterday.

Late to the discussion but maybe this will help a little dna598:
1. VST3 multitimbral outputs have been tricky in V7 too. I think it's under construction. Ben and Nathan had to do some handholding when I chose to compose a project in 32C running a vienna ensemble server. In the end I used the VST (not VST3) version because the multi ins/outs were easier to manage in Mixbus. I still can't figure out how to use multiple ports, but it's not a huge deal. TLDR: composing and multichannel are not Mixbus core competencies.

2. You're not kidding about latencies. Maybe this will help: for me it is specific, usually VST3 plugins. The culprits tend to have "secret" or duplicate internal latencies that Mixbus isn't seeing. Example: u-he Satin refuses to correctly compensate. I dug through the manual and apparently the plug, in normal mode, runs a SECOND DUPLICATE instance inside itself just to display detailed metering. I think it can be disabled. A few other plugins do this to me - Melodyne I think, a few other big heavies here and there, and printing through them causes latency that I have to rectify manually. Sorry you have to deal with it.

3. Pitch shift/time stretch/rubber band, I, and the Harrison support team have had a frothy love triangle going on for the last two or so years. I'm so glad Nathan mentioned waveform redraw as one of the tripping points; that was one of my non-expert theories. It's better in some releases than others. CONSIDER THIS IN THE MEANTIME:
3a. This behavior, for me, is exacerbated in larger sessions. The more regions, the more unstable. Smells like graphics to me.
3b. This behavior, for me, is exacerbated by midi and/or running an ensemble server.
3c. In some cases, it's exacerbated by having more heavy plugins running.

Are you getting 100% instant crash to desktop or do you ever get hangs before crashes? I started differenting after the first 300 crashes that sometimes it was actually hanging (due to Harrison not being able to ignore something it should, like a plugin running,) then processing, then crashing when trying to redraw the waveform. Sometimes there is no crash, the waveform redraws incorrectly, and an avalanche of entropy begins, ending in a crash usually within a minute or two. The latest 32c V7.X has been the most stable for me. 

Sorry for the frustration.