Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audible hiss / interference every few seconds on export.
(02-15-2024, 07:11 PM)Dingo Wrote:
(02-15-2024, 06:52 PM)ikhider Wrote: @Nathan@Harrison wrote "I have exhausted my usual suggestions for correcting licensing issues yet there are only so many things it could be."

Your company needs to do better not leave the client hanging.

@Dingo wrote "Do not post your text licenses in the Forum."

I will not spread malware to others.

OK if you are not getting the licensing noise burst during normal operation, but only getting it on Export then it is unlikely to be a licensing issue.

If it has been working... what has changed ? What format are you exporting to ?

Please describe the rate and duration of the noise bursts you are getting or provide a link to an example of the audio export.

Could you be hearing digital breakup, a corruption in the file or clocking noise ?

There are plenty of Linux users out there successfully using Mixbus.

Any inference that it is malware or that the factory is not supplying support is perhaps just heat of the moment stuff.

Stop and consider before blasting someone trying to help you.

I would zip up the session and post it to Harrison to see what they may find.

There are two kinds of support exchanges, one via forum and one via email.

I have described the problem and sent an email to support. They told me to uninstall version 9. This indicates support has not read my email. Then support suggested I copied and pasted the license incorrectly. This indicates support does not know how Mixbus licensing works on Linux (or other OS). Then support says to re-install the license (re-download text files, ridiculous--and did not solve the issue) that work on different computers and operating systems. At some point, I wonder if support cares or even comprehends what I am asking for or a combination of both.

It is not 'heat of the moment' when a pattern of behaviour becomes evident. We all have bad days, but the final comment, "I have exhausted my usual suggestions for correcting licensing issues yet there are only so many things it could be." clinched it. This has eroded my trust of Harrison Consoles and their products.

A better way would be, "Let us get back to you..."

One way to perhaps fix the problem is just get Verison 9. I spent a lot of money (for me) on several plugins and it would be a shame to lose all that. But then I think, "okay, you buy version 9 and with that attitude, do you think they will address other problems differently? For instance, I have had issues with 4K and 2K (this cuts off the interface) dual screen setup with Mixbus on Linux which spans versions(but not with programs like DaVinci Resolve which handles them just fine) and support response was, "just make both screens 2K resolution"-- okay, so why did I get a 4K screen then? Again, this points to pattern of behaviour. If I buy version 9, then it becomes my fault for seeing the pattern of behaviour and continuing.

If I want to be forward thinking and consider the future, based on past behaviour, logic says to cut my losses and never deal with this company again.
The noise could be caused by an unregistered third-party plug in as well.
(02-15-2024, 11:40 PM)BSchmitty Wrote: The noise could be caused by an unregistered third-party plug in as well.

Would I not have to deploy the plugin to get it to add the noises? Or are some plugins so malicious that it will mess with all exports, even if not added to the project?

Unlikely, but thanks.

I have other DAWs I use on Windows and Linux, the reason I used Mixbus is that I invested in their ecosystem over years. On Linux, the file system (ext 4) is superior to Windows NTFS. Linux is far more stable and better environment for audio / video work than Windows. There are just not as many software options on Linux as there are on Windows, but this is changing. When I first started using mixbus, things were worse, now there are more options. I *get* that Linux is too niche for HM to care, but they forget that really high end studios use Linux, not OSX. I am talking about the places that produce the Star Wars and Marvel and Transformers monster films. The Linux user base, however modest, is growing. That Apple is increasingly becoming an untenable OS for it's high prices and increasingly user-hostile environs. That Windows users constantly re-learn why you do not want to do multimedia work on WindowsOS. By all means, Harrison Consoles can dismiss me. What's a Linux user? Piffle. But other companies are emerging and saying, "Fine, I'll take that as we grow our marketshare."
@ikhider ,
If you still want to try and get things working ? I would ask the following...
Was Mixbus 8 working for you prior to installing v9. If yes, then perhaps there is an obscure issue caused by that install.
If I was in your position I would delete my Preferences, re-install Mixbus and try to Export your session again.
A few caveats... if you trash your preferences you will need to do a re-scan of plugins... you will also need to reset any individual preferences - colours etc that you may have changed. Keep a copy of the Preferences folder if in doubt.
Refer to this section of the manual for details about were your preferences are..
If you did not keep a copy of your v8 installer you can download it from this page.

Just for your information.. and others who may come after.
The reason support may have asked you to re-download your license is because:
a/ many people try and modify the text file to change the name to their studio or whatever... this can corrupt the license.
b/ 90% of licensing issues are caused by either manually putting the text file in the wrong location or by not copy and pasting the full challenge code.

Despite what you think there are two ways to install the license.
1. copy the text file to the root of your home directory or
2. copy and paste the challenge code into the license prompt when you launch an un-licensed version.
This was all spelt out in the links I provided earlier... but perhaps you did not read those.

As a sidebar... I know the Linux community is very important to Harrison.
The Mixbus project started as a 'digital dubber' for the Enterprise consoles in Post Production. (which yes use Linux as the engine)
Going against the industry norms (and advice of others) they backed an Open Source community project and still do.
Ardour would not be were it is today without Harrison.

Good luck in getting your system up and running.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(02-16-2024, 01:51 AM)Dingo Wrote: @ikhider ,
If you still want to try and get things working ? I would ask the following...
Was Mixbus 8 working for you prior to installing v9. If yes, then perhaps there is an obscure issue caused by that install.
If I was in your position I would delete my Preferences, re-install Mixbus and try to Export your session again.
A few caveats... if you trash your preferences you will need to do a re-scan of plugins... you will also need to reset any individual preferences - colours etc that you may have changed. Keep a copy of the Preferences folder if in doubt.
Refer to this section of the manual for details about were your preferences are..
If you did not keep a copy of your v8 installer you can download it from this page.

Just for your information.. and others who may come after.
The reason support may have asked you to re-download your license is because:
a/ many people try and modify the text file to change the name to their studio or whatever... this can corrupt the license.
b/ 90% of licensing issues are caused by either manually putting the text file in the wrong location or by not copy and pasting the full challenge code.

Despite what you think there are two ways to install the license.
1. copy the text file to the root of your home directory or
2. copy and paste the challenge code into the license prompt when you launch an un-licensed version.
This was all spelt out in the links I provided earlier... but perhaps you did not read those.

As a sidebar... I know the Linux community is very important to Harrison.
The Mixbus project started as a 'digital dubber' for the Enterprise consoles in Post Production. (which yes use Linux as the engine)
Going against the industry norms (and advice of others) they backed an Open Source community project and still do.
Ardour would not be were it is today without Harrison.

Good luck in getting your system up and running.

Yes, Mixbus 8 was working prior to a 9 install. 9 borked things. My proprietary plugins for Linux are actually Mixbus ones. There are also a lot of opensource ones. @BSchmitty's point about a third party plugin was a good one, I wish the support at Mixbus asked it, though it is not the problem. I have three other DAWs; Traktion, Reaper, Ardour and then DaVinci Resolve for video editing. They all export audio just fine. I had to redo the project on the Windows DAW, another company, and audio worked just fine on that. I was hoping to keep the workflow on Linux.

Ardour is problematic because a lot of the features are not explained and documentation is poor to say the least. It is trial and error and you can end up literally breaking Ardour. Harrison Mixbus documentation has gaps big enough to drive General Patton's army through. So I tend not muck around with that program and go with safe, default settings.

There is no challenge code on Mixbus. I just ran the demo version. I had an issue with the display sizing on my dual monitor setup which was worse than 8, so did not bother. My mind is already working on other long term audio solutions...thanks...
I agree with Dingo that clearing the preferences folder may help reset your v8 to work again. 

All your plugins doesn't go away by clearing your preferences. They are all stored in a separate folder and can be rescanned once the preferences are cleared. 

This solution has worked for others in the past though their issue was not due to licensing.

All the best
The Doctor
Getting Surgical with Audio
EDIT,

The prior session was a noisy music one and it is hard to detect static interference. I just did a quiet session with field recordings and the static noise is still there on export. It has not gone anywhere. Maddening. I need to stop.

Hello,

I tested this and the solution appears to have removed the noise. @Dingo, thanks.

-The uninstall script needs to be written better. I saw a Mixbus 9 file in the config folder. This is sort of like Windows programs where people have to buy additional uninstall software to clean the mess left behind by the "uninstalled" program. 
-This is a convoluted way to solve the problem, to dig into my OS file system and look for folders to delete. 
-Am still on the fence about continuing with Mixbus after this experience. While I poured money into this, my nerve has value too.
@ikhider - can you post a link to an audio sample of the noise you are hearing ?
The noise burst in unlicensed Mixbus is pretty noticeable even with a full mix.
Also the noise nag happens all the time not just injected into an export.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5