Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
32C Bus plugin
I can't believe they added the attack and release for the plugin before we get it on Mixbus Channel strip. That is what I have been begging Harrison for years since day one. And also Q value for EQ.
(03-08-2022, 04:43 PM)milanradjen Wrote:
(03-08-2022, 04:02 PM)Theotherguy Wrote: I DO NOT have any inside information but I think v8 is soon to arrive. It's about the right time.
I could be wrong, but ...    just a guess.

Is it me or It Doesn't Sound The Same?? I tested today and first,metering on Drive is barely moving on some strong signal (Kick drum around -4dbfs for example) and the sound of it is so smoother in Mixbus 32C. Tell me i m wrong because i wish so much that i could finaly use this in any DAW. Love Mixbus 32C for the sound but it's a hustle for serious work. Hope this change in the near future...

It will be the same like with the channel plugin: The Mixbus DAW has a certain ramping/gain staging at its inputs, which the plugin doesn't have. It's like an "insert" on an analogue console, it comes after the input stage. The input stage belongs to the console/DAW, not to the fx-unit/plugin.
For reference see the thread on the channel plugin.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(03-08-2022, 07:33 PM)Studio Saturn Wrote: I can't believe they added the attack and release for the plugin before we get it on Mixbus Channel strip. That is what I have been begging Harrison for years since day one. And also Q value for EQ.

With the plugin you only get the Compressor model and not the leveler and limiter so adding attack and release was necessary to make it as versatile as possible. 

With a LA2A you only get Gain and Peak reduction knobs so having limitations is not a bad thing.
The Doctor
Getting Surgical with Audio
(03-08-2022, 08:31 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(03-08-2022, 04:43 PM)milanradjen Wrote:
(03-08-2022, 04:02 PM)Theotherguy Wrote: I DO NOT have any inside information but I think v8 is soon to arrive. It's about the right time.
I could be wrong, but ...    just a guess.

Is it me or It Doesn't Sound The Same?? I tested today and first,metering on Drive is barely moving on some strong signal (Kick drum around -4dbfs for example) and the sound of it is so smoother in Mixbus 32C. Tell me i m wrong because i wish so much that i could finaly use this in any DAW. Love Mixbus 32C for the sound but it's a hustle for serious work. Hope this change in the near future...

It will be the same like with the channel plugin: The Mixbus DAW has a certain ramping/gain staging at its inputs, which the plugin doesn't have. It's like an "insert" on an analogue console, it comes after the input stage. The input stage belongs to the console/DAW, not to the fx-unit/plugin.
For reference see the thread on the channel plugin.

MMM

Excellent way of explaining it.  The DAW is optimized to work together like a console.  A plugin will sound good on its own but its missing the sum of the rest of the parts.  
The Doctor
Getting Surgical with Audio
(03-08-2022, 07:33 PM)Studio Saturn Wrote: I can't believe they added the attack and release for the plugin before we get it on Mixbus Channel strip. That is what I have been begging Harrison for years since day one. And also Q value for EQ.

This discussion comes up from time to time, but it's been a while now so I chime in with my personal opinions:

All these are actually some of THE features that IMO are strong selling points for Mixbus and Mixbus32C. These are instrumental for making Mixbus/Mixbus32C stand out compared with other DAWS and contributes very much to the fast workflow when you are mixing:
  • The simple settings of the compressors cover most of the needs for compressors, perhaps at least 90% of the time. These settings are based upon tried and tested real work over a very long time.
  • The EQs bands have variable Q values, they are narrow when you turn the level knobs to the extreme and wider on more neutral positions. This makes it easy to find problem frequencies or sweet spots and helps to have natural sounds when the levels are rolled back closer to neutral, at least if the recorded tracks have reasonable quality. 
These are some of the really important top 5 key points that make Mixbus and Mixbus32C what they are IMO.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
(03-08-2022, 06:59 PM)Nathan@Harrison Wrote:
(03-08-2022, 06:18 PM)milanradjen Wrote:
(03-08-2022, 05:08 PM)Dingo Wrote: You can adjust the input trim to hit the needle harder.  

I m quite a long time in this job and i know as this much. Wink  Input trim only raises the level (as it should) of the signal going in,but i said already that the signal i tested (kick drum) was hitting around -4 Dbfs and that's quite enough for needle to start doing something. The signal was sent from a channel to a Bus where i put 32 BUs plugin,so it's a workflow as it is in Mixbus,so it should behave the same but it's Not! And that is my point! If you give to the people the tools for the job,make sure that it works properly. Channel is working pretty much the same (tested that to) but BUS...No! Maybe it sounds similar,but we already have "similar" tools (Nls,Slate etc) but It's Not The Same. Harrison is better by far and maybe the only thing ITB that would give you the same feel as Analog desk. I think that if this small adjustments are made,that it would atract a lot of folks that secretly love MB and wait this to be implemented in there's curent workflow. 
(03-09-2022, 07:57 AM)milanradjen Wrote:
(03-08-2022, 05:08 PM)Dingo Wrote: You can adjust the input trim to hit the needle harder.  

I m quite a long time in this job and i know as this much. Wink  Input trim only raises the level (as it should) of the signal going in,but i said already that the signal i tested (kick drum) was hitting around -4 Dbfs and that's quite enough for needle to start doing something. The signal was sent from a channel to a Bus where i put 32 BUs plugin,so it's a workflow as it is in Mixbus,so it should behave the same but it's Not! And that is my point! If you give to the people the tools for the job,make sure that it works properly. Channel is working pretty much the same (tested that to) but BUS...No! Maybe it sounds similar,but we already have "similar" tools (Nls,Slate etc) but It's Not The Same. Harrison is better by far and maybe the only thing ITB that would give you the same feel as Analog desk. I think that if this small adjustments are made,that it would atract a lot of folks that secretly love MB and wait this to be implemented in there's curent workflow. 

Looks like I need to find time for another test, like with the channel plugin - unless Mr milanradjen does it himself and puts some evidence in here.
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(03-09-2022, 07:26 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(03-09-2022, 07:57 AM)milanradjen Wrote:

Looks like I need to find time for another test, like with the channel plugin - unless Mr milanradjen does it himself and puts some evidence in here.
MMM

It doesn't let me to Upload Video file. I tried Mov,Avi,Mpeg1 and Mp4 format. What format is allowed?
@milanradjen, I think you need a minimum amount of posts before you can add attachments. You should be able to add a link to video streaming service.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(03-10-2022, 02:20 PM)Dingo Wrote: @milanradjen, I think you need a minimum amount of posts before you can add attachments. You should be able to add a link to video streaming service.

Then i want be able to prove my concerns?! Anyways,everybody can try this. Put some strong signal,Kick drum for example in your DAW of choice and let it be close to 0 Dbfs and route it to a Bus with 32C Bus plugin on it in default state. The needle will barelly move. The same thing in Mixbus will make the needle dance around 12'o'clock and maybe little more closer to the right. Why is that?? Simple question?! If i start moving the DRIVE knob on the plugin version,it start to saturate to much when not even make it to mid position with the needle. What's the point of metering then?? It should work the same as in the Mixbus,then would all make some sense! I hope i m clear...