Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mixbus vs. Cubase vs. SSL - Sound Comparison (Audio Page 7)
Multitracks:
It is coming from the old-time, where we have one tape (reel)
1" or 2" with Multi Tracks - 16 or 24 tracks. It's one-piece with multiple tracks on it.

Stems:
As we do not have (many) Multi-Track Recorders anymore, just a session in a DAW (our reel), we have multiple tracks there.
But we do not record a guitar from beginning to end - Juts some Audio elements within these tracks. Same for a Voice etc.

Stem export means the DAW creates from all these multi-tracks with single audio elements one equal piece of audio - a stem.
So all "multi tracks" start from zero with the exact same lengths in order to have them in sync wherever you go.
iMac 5K Retina, i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB Flash, Catalina; Harrison Mixbus 32Cv6; Nuendo 10; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; Qcon Pro G2; Genelec 8020A & 7040APM
(04-25-2020, 03:22 AM)Till Wrote: Multitracks:
It is coming from the old-time, where we have one tape (reel)
1" or 2" with Multi Tracks - 16 or 24 tracks. It's one-piece with multiple tracks on it.

Stems:
As we do not have (many) Multi-Track Recorders anymore, just a session in a DAW (our reel), we have multiple tracks there.
But we do not record a guitar from beginning to end - Juts some Audio elements within these tracks. Same for a Voice etc.

Stem export means the DAW creates from all these multi-tracks with single audio elements one equal piece of audio - a stem.
So all "multi tracks" start from zero with the exact same lengths in order to have them in sync wherever you go.

Sorry Herr Till, this is something you made up. A track (within a multitrack) is consistent, no matter how often you punched in/out. That was so in tapes times (an acoustic guitar track coud become an accordion at 2:31 (lol)) and is still valid in a DAW environment. Even if you are a "patcher" you place your patches in a track on a time line.
A stem is a processed piece of a group of instruments. Ask any mastering engineer about stem mastering (as opposed to two track mastering). He will tell you what he thinks about your 26 "stems".

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Reopened but please keep to the topic
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
I tested on a pair of Eve Audio sc204, Presonus eris 4.5 and Senheiser HD 650, Mixbus is by far the best!!
"we do not record guitar from beginning to end"

Speak for yourself. Wink

I think calling is stem export, especially given that the older version of 32c I'm using you LITERALLY CAN'T export from the busses (thus ACTUAL stems), is silly. But, if I took DAW makers to task for their silly misuse of traditional nomenclature, I'd just piss people off. Presonus uses "Stem export" too. I think LogicX is THE model for track exporting, if anyone cares. And I don't think it's the model for much, for the record. But, it's far and away the best for that. Only one I trust clients can do without me detailing the how for them in an email.

But, I mean we exist in a world where you have Reaper with nothing BUT "tracks"...need a stereo aux bus in your mixer? "add new track" and then configure it's IO like an aux. It's why I would never in a million years recommend that app to anyone starting out.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com
(04-30-2020, 11:57 AM)JamieLang Wrote: But, I mean we exist in a world where you have Reaper with nothing BUT "tracks"...need a stereo aux bus in your mixer? "add new track" and then configure it's IO like an aux. It's why I would never in a million years recommend that app to anyone starting out.

Ehm, this discussion has been moved here:
http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...-9007.html

How is your experience with the sound of Mixbus in comparison to other DAW's (using just the onboard tools only?)
I usually mix quickly (I like to aim for about an hour) so I often mix songs in both Studio One and MixBus and then A/B compare them loaded side by side and level matched. Sometimes I do MixBus first, sometimes I do Studio One first. I'm not looking for a null but rather which one I like best. In either case, right now my mixes in MixBus and Studio One are usually very close. Sometimes I prefer MixBus, sometimes I prefer Studio One. If there are differences they are not deal breakers either way and I don't think the casual listener would notice. I mixed the song mentioned in the OP in both DAWs and the mixes are really similar with an A/B. I do the same polarity tweaks in each (which is potentially huge; it was in this song), and similar dynamics treatments. The built-in tools of course for MixBus. Other DAWs have nothing built-in, so I usually select the functionally comparable Waves Omnichannel for Studio One channels and busses. The thing I like best about MixBus is the immediate access to the core tools.
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
The sound of Mixbus is ONLY reason I use it. And that's versus other DAWs WITH third party plug ins. Other DAWs with their built in plug ins is not even an apples to apples discussion....except maybe LogicX, which has more than enough analog circuit models to go around.

My only sonic complaints are only that the reverb is...challengingly bad....(easily solved by third party plug in-and technically the reverb is a paid add on, which makes it an even EASIER decision)...and that you can't use a -4.5db pan law like god intended Wink -so I have to do twice the mono checks, or maybe more specifically twice the fader modifications AFTER mono checks as on a -4.5....
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com
(04-30-2020, 11:13 PM)JamieLang Wrote: My only sonic complaints are only that the reverb is...challengingly bad....(easily solved by third party plug in-and technically the reverb is a paid add on, which makes it an even EASIER decision)

The Reverb in Mixbus is awful. Thats why I bought this Plug-In now.
It's excellent - give it a try.
However, I can see Mixbus suddenly gets jerky with it.
Hi everybody,

I have to chime back in here to say that I did a client mix today in Studio One. This evening I've exported the tracks and imported them into MixBus 32C. After maybe 30 minutes I have a mix. Compared side by side, this time I prefer the MixBus version. Since it's for a client, it's a bigger deal. I just used my coupon for the V6 upgrade, LOL.
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA