Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing a distro: what does Harrison recommend??
Use the distribution that you personally like best and supports your hardware best as well as providing the software dependencies/needs best.

Quote:# Distributions >> https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/distributions
# Linux Audio Bundles and Distributions >> https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/categor...tributions
# Pro Audio Linux Distributions >> https://thecrocoduckspond.wordpress.com/...ributions/
# Search Distributions ([X] Multimedia) >> https://distrowatch.com/search.php#advanced
GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9845

DIY, for example Debian - transferable to all distributions: GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW >> https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?p=92293#p92293

I'll take Gentoo and Debian.
I see that nobody wants to have a standard full tested and certified Harrison Linux Distro Sad
That´s not my opinion ! I wolud like to have a real pro and serious solution for Harrison Mixbus 32C under Linux , but if I am alone that´s Ok Sad
Perhaps sometime in the future people my change Smile
Kind Regards
H.C.
(07-06-2019, 06:36 AM)herminio.cerqueira Wrote: I see that nobody wants to have a standard full tested and certified Harrison Linux Distro Sad

Nope. Right on the 2nd page of this thread I mentioned that I'm in favour. As it makes total sense. That's what Bitwig is doing. They test using Ubuntu and that's it. They might try other distros but officially it's Ubuntu. A very popular, well-supported distro.

(07-06-2019, 06:02 AM)khz Wrote: Use the distribution that you personally like best and supports your hardware best as well as providing the software dependencies/needs best.

Well, I'll take Gobo Linux. You know, " GoboLinux is an alternative Linux distribution which redefines the entire filesystem hierarchy. In GoboLinux you don't need a package database because the filesystem is the database: each program resides in its own directory,"

Or if not I'll take BLFS, that I've built with my own hands from scratch.

And then I'll write bug reports to Harrison support.
(07-06-2019, 03:31 PM)jonetsu Wrote:
(07-06-2019, 06:36 AM)herminio.cerqueira Wrote: I see that nobody wants to have a standard full tested and certified Harrison Linux Distro Sad

Nope. Right on the 2nd page of this thread I mentioned that I'm in favour. As it makes total sense. That's what Bitwig is doing. They test using Ubuntu and that's it. They might try other distros but officially it's Ubuntu. A very popular, well-supported distro.

And still, while I'll admit that it makes *some* sense to have a referenced distro as a last chance hand or at least an easy way to check wtf the maintainers of other distros or that one have made that'd introduce that new trouble in our chimney, still then you immediatly take the \example/ of the riskiest choice as a parangon :-)
(and well I'd understand there is a difference between popular an populist, at least it should be there is Big Grin )

(07-06-2019, 03:31 PM)jonetsu Wrote:
(07-06-2019, 06:02 AM)khz Wrote: Use the distribution that you personally like best and supports your hardware best as well as providing the software dependencies/needs best.

Well, I'll take Gobo Linux. You know, " GoboLinux is an alternative Linux distribution which redefines the entire filesystem hierarchy. In GoboLinux you don't need a package database because the filesystem is the database: each program resides in its own directory,"

Or if not I'll take BLFS, that I've built with my own hands from scratch.

And then I'll write bug reports to Harrison support.

And it is now clear that in your region you're are suffering of the same heatwave as I'm at the moment Wink
Mixbus/32C 5.3.22, 6.2.407 and 7.1.92 on Manjaro midtower i5-6600K 3.5GHz and Manjaro or LibraZik3 on Lenovo X250 i5
Mixbus 5.3.22 and 6.2.407 on Win10x64/Lenovo T40 i7 and X250 i5
audiocards: Scarlett 2i4, Tascam US4x4HR
(07-06-2019, 03:59 PM)Harvey Stuart Wrote: And still, while I'll admit that it makes *some* sense to have a referenced distro as a last chance hand or at least an easy way to check wtf the maintainers of other distros or that one have made that'd introduce that new trouble in our chimney, still then you immediatly take the \example/ of the riskiest choice as a parangon :-) (and well I'd understand there is a difference between popular an populist, at least it should be there is Big Grin )

Well yes. Illustration by extreme examples, gets the point across fast.

As for choosing a distro and mostly sticking to it for development it just makes practical sense. Unless Harrison has a well-furnished QA dept. it does not make sense to test on a variety of distros and moreover it makes much less sense to start analyzing why it does not work on 3 of the bunch. And then what, write to them and wait for them to add/fix packages while meanwhile dsitributing to new Linux customers a 3-page setup instruction that specifies which gcc, autotools they need to be able to mix their music Dodgy

(07-06-2019, 03:59 PM)Harvey Stuart Wrote: And it is now clear that in your region you're are suffering of the same heatwave as I'm at the moment Wink

If only there was a way to stock it up for winter. Cool
Is anybody from Harrisons listen to us ?
I ask if you please consider to have a Standard Linux Distro to run Mixbus 32C Smile
(07-07-2019, 08:40 AM)herminio.cerqueira Wrote: Is anybody from Harrisons listen to us ?
I ask if you please consider to have a Standard Linux Distro to run Mixbus 32C Smile

Your question was already answered by x42 who suggested AVLinux. It's about as standard as you can get being based on Debian and has a bunch of audio configuration already done for you. All you have to do is install it (or even run it live), set up your sound card in Mixbus, and go.
(07-07-2019, 10:45 AM)sunrat Wrote:
(07-07-2019, 08:40 AM)herminio.cerqueira Wrote: Is anybody from Harrisons listen to us ?

Your question was already answered by x42 who suggested AVLinux. It's about as standard as you can get being based on Debian and has a bunch of audio configuration already done for you. All you have to do is install it (or even run it live), set up your sound card in Mixbus, and go.

AVLinus ias not a real install option I do not like de way they do a Linux distro with a noinstall application Sad , 'Systemback' is for backup Sad I the like to have a safety waqy to install it Sad
And that's exactly the point into not having a "standard" distro. Everyone should use whatever they think it's the best for them.

I never saw a person here with an issue where the solution was "you have to change distribution".
That´s what you thik about. I prefer always a more professional aproach Smile