Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harrison Live DSP USB interface exists ?
Users new to the thread: Please dont hesitate to add candidates for audio interfaces that will work with Mixbus on Linux with independent zero latency monitoring, basically same capability as the solutions presented in RED at the end of the post. the more the better. It is silly to invest in recording interfaces if It will result in you buying up the tree as you expand. Therefore buy an interface that has independent zero latency monitoring and recording. You can handle about anything with that and scale up when needed for little cost.

Is there a Harrison live USB DSP interface similar to the presonus 1818VSL in existence that will work on Linux.?
That would be really great as I can then dump the Presonus gear of which I cannot have the Live monitoring on Linux. Since Harrison supports Linux, obviously such interface will work on Linux as a live mixer.
Since I will continue withMixBus, the most unbelievable software mixer daw, I need to find a DSP based audio interface that will work with Harrison MixBus AND allow basically latency free monitoring as Steinberg and Presonus interfaces does on most of their interfaces. I love these interfaces but just cannot continue the windows path with them, so I am looking for similar Linux friendly RACKMOUNT live monitoring interfaces.
If Harrison has a competitive rack mounted live mixer similar to steinberg/presonus that would work with linux it would be great.

As much as I revere the hardware live mixers from Harrison, I prefer to have everything mobile with only a few usb or firewire or ethernet audio interfaces and a PC. It moves easily, so I am definitely not in the market for a hardware mixer.

Here is an image of what I need.
"http://cdn-data.motu.com/site/images/stage-b16/stage-b16-stage-box-diagram.png"
The monitor mixer needs to work Realtime no latency as it drives the stage monitors and therefore must work directly controlling the DSP on the interfaces. The FOH mixer in my case may have some latency, say 16ms would be ok. It does not have to be zero latency as it will be basically for recording with MixBus.
So I need a zero latency monitor mixer (for stage/monitoring) and a latency recording mixer driving the same audio interface that can handle this.
I will eventually buy the MOTU 16CH but for now I want to know if it maybe is possible with low cost existing interfaces.

I also attach a drawing of simplifying what I need.
Please look at that first.

SPECIFICATIONS
1) Must be 19" rack mount
2) Must have XLR inputs preferably XLR/Line combo inputs
3) Must be able to configure the DSP in the audio interface to control the monitor channels separately (e.g. through ethernet separately from USB recording) from the recording interface ( e.g. USB with MixBus). Basically same as MOTU UltraLite AVB Audio Interface does.
4) Must be able to be run from Linux and work with MixBus.
(else I would be using presonus or Steinberg which I currently do but cannot continue with)
5) Must be able to work fully with MixBus.

* Basically what I want is something with the same functionality as the MOTU UltraLite AVB, but with XLR/line inputs and 19" Rack mount. *
Thanks

===================================================
Summary of Solutions Presented:
*madmaxmiller suggested*
1) MOTU UltraLite AVB Audio Interface.
It unfortunately does not have inputs as XLR & Line which makes it unusable to me. Recording with Mixbus in Linux + Internal DSP control through Webinterface for zero latency Monitoring outputs.
This would get full marks except for the fact re XLR mentioned above and that it is not intended for 19" rack mount.
I now confirmed through a youtube Motu official video that all the current Motu Live Mixers / Stage Boxes Lixe the Stagebox 16 has the same functionality as the Motu Ultralite AVB which has separate ethernet live zero latency monitoring.
Motu Stage B16: This is seemingly a turnkey solution for Mixbus on Linux + Live Zero Latency monitoring.

2) Allen & Heath Qu32
Unfortunately it is a hardware mixer and I dont want to carry that around separately, I want a rack version. No Dsp Control from within Linux. So it is thoroughly cancelled for me

*Sthauge suggested*
Zoom L12 or the L20
Unfortunately it is a hardware mixer and I dont want to carry that around separately, I want a rack version.

PascalC suggested
1) RME UCX + Preamp
Unfortunately all inputs are not XLR and it is not rack mount.
2) Yamaha MGXU
It is a hardware mixingdesk not what I want.

knutzn suggested RME Multiface
AVlinux together with HDSPconf and the Alsa firmwareloaders
With the softwaremixer you can route and control all the inputs to any output of your choice with zero latency cause everything is done in the box without going through your computer.
It therefore has linux control of onboard DSP, but probably cannot record with Mixbus simultaneously to the zero latency monitoring.

jabney suggested
UMC1820
Solves all requirements and manual claims it does zero latency monitoring.
Unfortunately it is not sure if the monitoring can be done and mixed separately from the recording mixer. Doesnt seem so as it has only one usb interface. Probably must use a non mixbus dedicated mixer.

Might be a turnkey solution for MixBus on Linux + Live Zero Latency Monitoring pending more information.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Harrison do not make an audio interface dedicated to Mixbus, however I think madmaxmiller answered your questions in one of your previous threads...
http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...l#pid39766
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Maybe not what you are looking for, but anyway check out the Zoom L12 or the "big brother" , L20. They are digital USB Live mixers, audio interface(14/4, 22/4) plus record to SD and 5 independent zero latency monitor mixes. And they works great with Linux.

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
I updated the suggested solutions In my original post and will continue doing so.

Dingo
Yes he did and I thanked him for it. It was however in an unrelated post and that was one person's opinion.
I asked this question because I want several people's opinion on just this subject.
I dont understand the issue, but I think you can understand that I want several users opinion as that was a side comment in that thread from a single user right ?

(12-01-2018, 07:06 PM)Dingo Wrote: Harrison do not make an audio interface dedicated to Mixbus, however I think madmaxmiller answered your questions in one of your previous threads...
http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...l#pid39766

Sthauge
Thank you very much, I did not even know these brands so you give me some good options with this post and I will see what else they have

Unfortunately though they are hardware mixers. I am looking for a *rack mount* version. I dont want hardware sliders,knobs & switches. I need to take just a rack and pc.

(12-01-2018, 07:20 PM)Sthauge Wrote: Maybe not what you are looking for, but anyway check out the Zoom L12 or the "big brother" , L20. They are digital USB Live mixers, audio interface(14/4, 22/4) plus record to SD and 5 independent zero latency monitor mixes. And they works great with Linux.

Mixbus32c 5.0.208 on Kubuntu Linux 64 18.04 with KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60GHz - 12 Gb RAM

I cannot figure out if
Moto stage B16
http://motu.com/products/avb/stage-b16

Has the same zero latency monitor channels that can be accessed through a web interface separately from the standard ethernet or usb channels.

I guess I will have to contact them and ask.
Otherwise please add more interfaces with the specifications as in the original mail.
I will make it more clear by editing it there.
RME UCX + Preamp
Yamaha MGXU
MGXU is not a rackmount unit but a hardware mixer, which is definitely not what I want and out of the conditions I set.

I cannot figure out if the RME UCX + Preamp has a way to control the monitoring outputs separate from the recording inputs.
I need zero latency monitor outputs that can be controlled independently from Mixbus on Linux which does the non-zero latency recording. But regardless, it does not have all analog XLR inputs, what I need. I cant work with jack inputs only.

As Madmaxmiller stated his suggestion (MOTU UltraLite AVB) could control 4 monitor output channels at no latency through a web interface, while he could use MixBus through usb/firewire to record.
That is what I am after. Both processes are independent.

From Yamaha what I would be interested in is Tio1608-D, but nowhere they mention how the monitoring outputs are controlled.

(12-01-2018, 10:22 PM)PascalC Wrote: RME UCX + Preamp
Yamaha MGXU
"I cannot figure out if the RME UCX + Preamp has a way to control the monitoring outputs separate from the recording inputs."

You can control it with the HDSPmixer.
Unfortunately not the built in FX but all the in/out faders and routing.

I have an older Multiface with Octamic an it works great.
°°°
Mac Mini M1 --> RME Multiface II
MacBook Air M1
Thinkpad T430 16gb --> Ubuntustudio 64bit --> Multiface II / SoundDevices USBpre2
I went through the specifications of both Multiface & Octamic but cannot see that you can control the DSP from Linux for monitor mixes.
Question: How do you get a zero latency monitor mix separate from recording ?

(12-02-2018, 07:08 AM)knutzn Wrote: "I cannot figure out if the RME UCX + Preamp has a way to control the monitoring outputs separate from the recording inputs."

(12-02-2018, 02:40 PM)zimbodel Wrote: I went through the specifications of both Multiface & Octamic but cannot see that you can control the DSP from Linux for monitor mixes.
Question: How do you get a zero latency monitor mix separate from recording ?

(12-02-2018, 07:08 AM)knutzn Wrote: "I cannot figure out if the RME UCX + Preamp has a way to control the monitoring outputs separate from the recording inputs."

HDSPmixer is not the official mixer from RME. This is Totalmix. HDSPmixer is the Linux version from the older Totalmix. I think it is pre-installed in AVlinux together with HDSPconf and the Alsa firmwareloaders witch you will need when you use the Multiface.
With the softwaremixer you can route and control all the inputs to any output of your choice with zero latency cause everything is done in the box without going thru your computer.
An other option for you maybe is the Octamic xtc. You can use it as a preamp for an other soundcard via adat but you can also use it like capturedivice via USB. But it has only to stereo jack outputs.
°°°
Mac Mini M1 --> RME Multiface II
MacBook Air M1
Thinkpad T430 16gb --> Ubuntustudio 64bit --> Multiface II / SoundDevices USBpre2
If 16 XLR inputs (plus 2 TRS) could work for you, then the Behringer UMC1820 (8 XLR inputs) plus another 8 XLR inputs via a Behringer ADA8200 (or an ADA8000) might do it. Should give you 8 XLR outputs (ADA8200) and enough TRS outs (UMC1820).

That's in two U 19" rack spaces. Adding 2 more U spaces could let you route all the XLR inputs to the back (with some more wiring).

I haven't had much luck below 512 (crackling, etc) with an older workstation -(HP XW4600 with minimal RAM and a middling XEON and running AVLinux 64) but 512 and up seems to sound good.

Note, I have to turn off the UMC1820 before turning on the XW4600. Then, once the XW4600 begins to run, turning on the UMC1820 works fine.