Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A bit of help with uninstalling...
I'm primarily a Windows user although I can boot into linux using a bootable memory stick. It's Zorin linux although that's probably not important.

Maybe 8 or 9 months ago I added MB32C ver7 to my Zorin setup and I'd now like to update it to ver8. But for the life of me I can't figure out how to uninstall ver7. I'm probably missing something very obvious so would some kind soul give me a hint please?
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(05-05-2022, 09:38 AM)johne53 Wrote: I'm primarily a Windows user although I can boot into linux using a bootable memory stick. It's Zorin linux although that's probably not important.

Maybe 8 or 9 months ago I added MB32C ver7 to my Zorin setup and I'd now like to update it to ver8. But for the life of me I can't figure out how to uninstall ver7. I'm probably missing something very obvious so would some kind soul give me a hint please?

Usual simplest way is to start the installer for the new version and at some time just before installling the last it will suggest to uninstall previous old versions, one question for each one you've kept (it's safer to keep the ones you still have some projects unfinished on).
And if you missed that you'll still have the choice to do it by hand in a CLI console, or GUI if any are nowadays capable, go to the /opt dir and execute the script named along :
Mixbus-VERSIONNUMBERS.uninstall.sh
Mixbus/32C 5.3.22, 6.2.407, 7.2.0, 8.2.184, 9.2.105, 10.0.0 on Manjaro midtower i5-6600K 3.5GHz and Lenovo X250 i5
Mixbus 5.3.22, 6.2.407 on Win10x64/Lenovo T40 i7 and X250 i5
audiocards: Scarlett 2i4, Tascam US4x4HR
Like the Windows installer, on the Linux side it should also ask if you want to uninstall the old version. But you can also uninstall it by deleting the Mixbus folder from the opt directory. I don't know if that's the right way though.

I do have AVLinux MXE though

Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

(05-05-2022, 12:10 PM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: But you can also uninstall it by deleting the Mixbus folder from the opt directory. I don't know if that's the right way though.

Better to run the uninstall script as there are Mixbus resources in other directories than /opt, eg. a symlink in /usr/local/bin
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

@john53, do you need to uninstall v7 to install v8 ?
The two versions should be able to co-exist.
I have v6, 7 and 8 on my system with out issue
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Many thanks guys. With your help I made the changeover but it seemed to rely very heavily on terminals and shell commands and running bash scripts etc. Do you Linux guys enjoy stuff like this? I find scripts and text stuff a bit too much like hard work (give me mouse clicking any day...  Smile  )
(05-06-2022, 08:15 AM)johne53 Wrote: Many thanks guys. With your help I made the changeover but it seemed to rely very heavily on terminals and shell commands and running bash scripts etc. Do you Linux guys enjoy stuff like this? I find scripts and text stuff a bit too much like hard work (give me mouse clicking any day...  Smile  )
Yes I think they do John... like you I prefer a mouse click.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(05-06-2022, 06:07 PM)Dingo Wrote:
(05-06-2022, 08:15 AM)johne53 Wrote: Many thanks guys. With your help I made the changeover but it seemed to rely very heavily on terminals and shell commands and running bash scripts etc. Do you Linux guys enjoy stuff like this? I find scripts and text stuff a bit too much like hard work (give me mouse clicking any day...  Smile  )
Yes I think they do John... like you I prefer a mouse click.

I do lots of mouse clicking, but after a few years of Linux use the terminal becomes familiar and many things are faster than GUI. And some things are not possible with GUI. So it's not a matter of liking terminal so much as working more efficiently.
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

I'm not sure if it's in all Linuxes but Zorin has an app that's a bit like a cutdown version of Windows Control Panel.. It lists all the installed apps with a button to remove them easily.

But for whatever reason, Mixbus never gets listed there (maybe because it's a text based installer ?)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(05-07-2022, 02:37 AM)johne53 Wrote: I'm not sure if it's in all Linuxes but Zorin has an app that's a bit like a cutdown version of Windows Control Panel.. It lists all the installed apps with a button to remove them easily.

But for whatever reason, Mixbus never gets listed there (maybe because it's a text based installer ?)

KDE has Discover and Gnome has Gnome Software which do exactly that. There is also Synaptic which can be installed on most Linuxi. Generally these only manage software which has been installed by a system package manager. Mixbus is manually installed so will not be seen by these applications.