Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do not Update OS or is there a trick?
Hi, 
I just updated my OS to sonoma and mixbus is on the newest version out yesterday, too. I can't recommend it at all. My sessioin has a load of around 34% DSP but it is not controllable at all, to adjust anything soundwise I have to stop playback, do some tweaks and start playback to listen what changed. That is not a workable state. I hope someone in this forum has a hint, what I could do to get better performance again and if it is a software problem I hope there will soon be an update to that.
Best
Arne
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
another thing I notice: when having the EQ and sends shown on my edit window it becomes to larg for my secondary monitor, to make it small again, so that everything fits onto the display again I have to bring the window to my primary monitor, make it small and then put it back onto my secondary monitor. I know using more than one monitor is "old-school" but I am used to it and love it (and I cant affort buying two of the large screend I use for primary monitor, so have to use what I got...) That is just an issue of comfort and deactivating the mix-strip section in edit window will do for now. but just wanted to mention it, perhaps some clever guys know and better solutions on that.
another thing I did a new session, just three tracks one midi drums and two guitars with a sim, so nothing to crazy. It is much smoother than the one befor, but when arranging using cues and follow functions and when I jump from Cue C to F it crashes Mixbus constantly. I don't know if it is the cues or the arrangement which does not go, but it is quite strange behaviour... (edit: did a quick test, when switching manually it works, just with the follow options it is not) --> this part is solved: one track was pointing to an empty clip, that caused the crash. makes somehow sense, but perhaps in matter of comfort this could be handled little smoother.
There are a number of reports about issues with Sonoma if you can roll back it would be advisable until things settle… not just with DAWs but many graphics intense applications.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
okay, thank you Dingo.. I did update after I read a guy in mixbus facebook group saying that everything is much smoother for him on a similar machine.. but probably you are right.
Yeah, I have the same sluggish graphics issue since upgrading to Sonoma. As my Mac is also used for other tasks, I cannot simply downgrade again just for Mixbus, so I'll need to wait for a "proper" fix and live with the sluggish mixer for the time being... Sad

Small update to this: interestingly it seems to be connected to the width of the window. If I resize the Mixbus window to be narrower, the GUI performance gets better. The narrower the window, the less laggy it is and vice-versa.

And also the Recorder window is not affected at all for me, only the Mixer window.
Nathan told on facebook, that this will be adressed in V10, so I think we have to wait some time...
In V10 only, not in a patch to V9? Are they serious about that? V10 will be obviously a paid upgrade again, so I need to shell out another good amount of $$$ for a bugfix???

I'm a big fan of Mixbus, but I'm starting to question my choice here a bit...
At least that was what I read there, when I wrote that I hope for a soonish bugfix.. It is really a lot of work to have both an up to date and an relyable workstation.
Both 9.2 and its latest patch release 9.2.172 were released well after macOS Sonoma has gone GA.

I usually would assume that such releases are properly tested with the most recent stable OS versions as well.