Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do not Update OS or is there a trick?
this why you don't update your computer till after a everything has been well tested.  You are responsible for your own studio setup. 

I have not even downloaded Sonoma on my work computer though eventually im sure I will for testing purposes.
The Doctor
Getting Surgical with Audio
So you tell me that Harrison purposefully did not test Mixbus 9.2 with the currently available version of the Operating Systems it officially supports? Despite being released months later?

You should at least put a compatibility notice on the store page that clearly states “not tested on macOS 14, use on your own risk”.

Besides: you do realize that new Macs are shipped with Sonoma from the factory, so new customers might not even have the possibility to “not upgrade”?
Most of the companies listed in Sweetwaters Sonoma compatibility chart either say 'avoid upgrading' or 'not provided information'.... so it's very early days for Sonoma.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
That’s fine. And exactly why Harrison should also put a compatibility notice on their website to clearly state which OS versions their products have been tested with.
(11-22-2023, 04:56 PM)marratj Wrote: Besides: you do realize that new Macs are shipped with Sonoma from the factory, so new customers might not even have the possibility to “not upgrade”?

Yes and that is always the case with macOS, new buyers always find themselves on the 'bleeding' edge... every time I have purchased a new Mac, the OS has been ahead of all the developers and the first day is spent downloading updated OS and security patches.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(11-22-2023, 05:34 PM)marratj Wrote: That’s fine. And exactly why Harrison should also put a compatibility notice on their website to clearly state which OS versions their products have been tested with.

When you go to the Store to download you will see.....

“10.10 and newer including Ventura”. Yeah, you could interpret this as “Sonoma not supported”.

But it also only states “Windows 64 bit”. How can I know if Windows 11 is already supported or only Windows 10 was tested still?

It’s complicated.
And all that was the reason I made this forum post, just to warn others from doing my silly mistake.

I personally am able to work with sessions freshly created in Mixbus32cV9 on Sonoma, just the sessions created before makes troubles, so I will be patient and upgrade my mixbus as soon as possible. I have Logic as a backup DAW, so if things go massively wrong in mixbus I am still able to work (although I am not a hughe fan of logics workflow, but that one is on me).
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
Thing is, as I use my MacBook also for other stuff besides music making, I was kinda forced to upgrade to Sonoma. So simply downgrading is currently not an option for me. One option might be to configure a dual-boot system with Ventura as second option for Mixbus.

But then still the macOS UI scaling bug (https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/thread-11221.html) that Mixbus introduced with version 8 is still there in v9, but this was not really a dealbreaker to me in the past.

Let's see what the future will bring. Logic as an alternative surely is an option as it's as macOS-native as it can get, but I'm not sure if I want to go down that rabbit hole, after really digging Mixbus' workflow over the past years. They have a 90-day trial, might as well just check it out in parallel...
Here is the main problem with OS support with Mac in particular:

One wants to get a nice, new, capable, and fast computer, so one spends their hard earned money on a fast new M3 Max computer that touts being so much faster than the M1 you got just a year or so ago :p

The nice fast computer ONLY comes with Apple's newest OS, 14 at this point, AND, WILL NOT downgrade to 13.
Hardware is locked out.

Now all the software companies out there should have been working with Apple in tandem, on the beta versions of the upcoming OS, so they could have their bread and butter apps ready for their loyal customers that are getting a nice new system for Christmas or their birthday.

So the purchaser of the new super fast computer, can't even use it on their favorite software, because it is darn near a year of so after the new OS on the new computer they bought will be capable of running the finally updated version of their audio software.
(But by then, a new faster machine is now out, on an OS version that is once again, not validated or "supported")

Some people would not be capable of keeping their old system and using it for a year while longingly watching their expensive new system just sit there.
They would save what money they could by trading in their old system, to offset the cost of the new one as much as possible, and sooner rather than later, so they get more for their trade.
A year later would net much less money.

So it saddens me to hear when someone hasn't even tested yet with developer beta version, which was available Jun 5th of this year, and here it is 6 months later and they haven't even started the process (at least would seem that way to a layman by the statement above).

Now..
I went through the process of downgrading to 13, finishing this morning, and have been able to get the video lag back to an acceptable level.
I was not able to do that with any amount of video tweaking with Mac OS 14 and the monitor settings.
OS 13 is much more usable if you want your meters to keep time with the music.

What would be nice to hear, is not chastising us for trying the newer, more secure OS, but something from Ben and Co. that says something to the effect:
"We have tested on the new OS, and see/verify the issue you are seeing, and have pinned it down to x y and z.
We are actively working on more efficient code that addresses the problem, and will try and have that available on the next .point update/service pack."

For any of us nuts enough to use a 4k TV for a monitor (guilty as charged), I highly recommend you turn off ANY "Enhancement" settings, as they are bound to add latency to the video, as they have to be processed.
On my Sony Bravia 4K VH21;
Smoothing, Motion, Contrast Enhance, Live Color, Reality Creation, Random Noise Reduction, Digital Noise Reduction, Motion Flow, CineMotion, etc.
Experiment with HDR settings as well.
If I can get my hands on a true 4k computer monitor, I will a/b the monitor and the TV, and I expect the TV is most likely going to add a bit more lag than a true monitor.

I wish you all Happy Holidays, and hope you all get new maxed out M3 machines as presents!
I am sure full compatibility is on it's way.
Mixbus 10 Pro 10.0.0
Apple Mac Studio M1 Ventura 13.6.7
PreSonus Quantum 2626
iCON V1-M & 2 Extenders
X-Touch & 2 Extenders