Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do not Update OS or is there a trick?
As much as I would like to go "back" forward to Sonoma, I think I should wait anyway, as none of the other things I use seem to be officially supporting Sonoma yet....
Mixbus 10 Pro 10.0.0
Apple Mac Studio M1 Ventura 13.6.7
PreSonus Quantum 2626
iCON V1-M & 2 Extenders
X-Touch & 2 Extenders
so that grafik thing was not it.. I don't know how to get stable performance out of mixbus with my mac mini... one moment all is fine and I can work and a blink of an eye later it is not good at all. controlls lagging shortcuts don't work, sometimes crashing and a moment later all is fine again. Is there any tweek to my mac OS I should really do or is it just starting to pray more?
Perhaps I should not try to compare stability to my old win7 ProTools8 System (which was stable as hell, but probably much less complicated softwarewise).
As I feel it is less stable the more you do arrangement things.. mixing is quite fine (when I get there after all). Perhaps I should give logic a try and just mix in mixbus.. but if that is the intended workflow then: why all these handy composing/arranging enhancements we got in V8 and 9?
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
Are you set to all but one processor?
Mixbus 10 Pro 10.0.0
Apple Mac Studio M1 Ventura 13.6.7
PreSonus Quantum 2626
iCON V1-M & 2 Extenders
X-Touch & 2 Extenders
P.S.  I'm a little embarrassed to admit that my comment regarding "gradient" settings was incorrect.

marratj made a comment about the 'flat button' preference, and intuitively it does seem that drawing the extra gradients would cause more cpu load.  But I later asked myself why that would be the case, since knobs and buttons don't redraw 'all the time' but only when changed.

When I switched 'gradients' off, there's a slight pause while the screen re-draws and then it *seemed* that the meters, playhead, and clocks would draw faster.  But after some objective testing, I see that I was tricking myself into perceiving a difference.

Sorry for the noise!  I'll edit my prior post.

-Ben
Yes, this is what I noticed as well in the Editor window. Setting the gradient for the range backgrounds to different levels doesn't make a difference there for me.

But the 'flat buttons' setting definitely makes for a massive improvement in the Mixer window.
(01-04-2024, 12:59 PM)jeff_sloan Wrote: Are you set to all but one processor?

Yes.
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
(01-05-2024, 05:41 AM)marratj Wrote: Yes, this is what I noticed as well in the Editor window. Setting the gradient for the range backgrounds to different levels doesn't make a difference there for me.

But the 'flat buttons' setting definitely makes for a massive improvement in the Mixer window.

I don't see that here, nor can I think of any reason this should be the case,  since the buttons and knobs gradients are not being redrawn quickly during regular playback.  Only the small meter LED should be changing.

Which version of Mixbus are you using?

-Ben
(01-05-2024, 05:41 AM)marratj Wrote: But the 'flat buttons' setting definitely makes for a massive improvement in the Mixer window.

This might be more a subject to perception than to calculation/rendering.
Mac Pro 5,1 | 6x 3,4Ghz | 48GB | OS X 10.14  | Macbook Pro M1 | 16GB | OS X 14.4 | Metric Halo 2882 3d 
http://www.sounddesign-pro.com
I'm on 9.2.172. Flat buttons is definitely smoother.

I'd like to attach screen recordings to show the difference, but the forum won't let me attach them to the post here because the files are too large, so I'll link them from my Dropbox:

Normal buttons: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/08onddu7b...bm3po&dl=0

Flat buttons: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/1g311eqvw...x0u96&dl=0
(01-08-2024, 02:32 AM)marratj Wrote: I'm on 9.2.172. Flat buttons is definitely smoother.

I'd like to attach screen recordings to show the difference, but the forum won't let me attach them to the post here because the files are too large, so I'll link them from my Dropbox:

Normal buttons: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/08onddu7b...bm3po&dl=0

Flat buttons: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/1g311eqvw...x0u96&dl=0

I too am having some issues lately. I'm on a M1 max macbook pro. I updated to Sonoma and that was a no go for sure. It was very sluggish and would crash on me. 3rd party plug-ins were def having isses. Being unresponsive and sometimes not loading right. So I reverted to Ventura, and it's better. But honestly some of my other daws are definitely working better.

That said, I love Mixbus and want to continue using it. So I noticed it was getting warm and I've read that apple has the fans set to only come on once the cpu is quite hot. Which is what I do seem to experience. So I got a fan control app. And have my fans set to ramp up sooner. Not only is my laptop not getting so hot, the graphics performance does seem to be considerably better. At least until the temp start to climb again.

So it seems to me that there is something graphics related that is influenced by how hot the processor is. This may be why adjusting some of those parameters seem to show an improvement. And why it may be more noticeable on some systems. As every computer will cool differently. And right now I'm definitely still able to get work done with mixbus, but I do wish it were a little more stable.

And I just checked I'm on rev 9.2-172-gc80d313a86 of mixbus.