Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixbus32C v9 - New Mixer! New Sound! - Now Available
@Corgan: will fix! That's a typo
(03-23-2023, 06:18 AM)Lars Wrote:
(03-23-2023, 06:10 AM)calimerox Wrote: upgraded, loaded an old session, stupid question: where are the Eq s? The channel is populated with mixbus routing and dynamics (compressor , gate, etc) but nowhere to click to find the equalizer.

Click the "32C EQ" Field next to the Pan-Pot or Key Command "Shift-E"

got it Lars, thank you!!
Does this new version of Mixbus allow the user to copy selected material from one project to another? That's been missing in Mixbus for some time, and it's a feature that every other DAW that I know has. It's needed for recording songs in separate projects, and then combining them into a single project for mastering.
Hi all, this one seems to be an interesting upgrade but i have some questions :
Can i install it and keep my v7 at the same time?
Is the mixer still glitchy when scrolling horizontally?
Are the favorites presets that were removed from v7.2 back in v9? (see my old post https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/thread-10825.html )
Is the new eq sound different than the earlier versions?
Are we now able to select multiple tracks in the track list in the edition windows and make them active,visible or mute/solo etc all at once instead of doing that for each track. Is this also possible in the mixer view?
Can we copy/remove a plugin to multiple selected tracks?
Thanks in advance
Hi Ben,
ok got V9 today, tried it - and - YEPP thats what I needed - already get rid of the XT Gate/Exp. - have to get used to the switching EQ,Comp,Input,Sends etc. but thats easy to do.
Sound is very good - Drive is a big advantage - like in my old days when I mainly worked at Hansa @ the Wall, MAyfair, Townhouse, Sarm East on these SSL Consoles - I have fun !
THX
(03-22-2023, 03:21 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Mixbus32C version 9 is here!

Your best mixes happen when you are 'in the flow'.  The most important feature of a mixer is the unique ability to work on many tracks at once ... boosting a little here, and cutting a little there.  We call this 'mixing in context' and it is largely this ability to stay in the flow that makes Mixbus better than other DAWs.

Mixbus has always been the best workstation for mixing; it has a knob-per function interface that lets you work without leaving the flow state.  But there's always room for improvement!

Version 9 was developed to meet more of your expectations: more 'analog vibe' to further reduce the need for plugins; more controls on the built-in compressor; a channelstrip gate; larger text; and better usage of space on 4k monitors.

With a heavy focus on expanding and improving the sound and workflow of the analog vibe found in Mixbus32C, we have implemented a lot of new features to help you get a whole new sound from your mixes.

What's new in v9 ?
  • The first major upgrade to the Mixbus32C mixer since its inception 7 years ago: we've updated the sound, look, and operation of the mixer page. Scroll down to learn more!
  • Multi-bus VST3 instruments: Mixbus now supports multiple optional busses (when defined by a VST3 plugin) and can create appropriately named tracks. Mixbus informs the plugin about the user's configuration, and smart VST3 plugins can now adapt when your track signal-flow changes.
  • New "Blonde Bop" drum instrument from AVL Drums

The new Mixer Page includes:
  • new high contrast design with an expanded look and feel of a full-featured analog console strip. You can emulate a life-size console on a 4k TV or monitor.
  • re-engineered 32C EQ that provides an even more accurate recreation of the original 1975 analog circuit, with updated EQ curves and a more accurate text representation of the frequency and gain in the channelstrip text display.
  • A new full-featured Compressor on every channel and mixbus, providing all of the sound and control you would expect in a standalone compressor while retaining the popular "mode" selections found in previous versions of Mixbus.  The new 'Emphasis' knob allows you to access more vintage character by forcing the compressor to react more quickly to harsh sounds.  The result is smoother mixes!
  • An exciting new full-featured Gate/Expander that can tame the bleed in your live tracks, or add more expressive and dynamic articulation to pre-recorded loops and sounds.  The new gate reports its gain-reduction beside the fader, just like the channelstrip compressor.  The reciprocal push/pull action of the reduction LEDs provides great feedback 'in context' without having to open any plugins or even the channelstrip element. 
  • A new "Drive" feature on every input channel strip can add 'hair' to bass and vocal tracks, which helps them stand out in a busy mix.
  • high-pass filter on the mixbus 'tone' equalizer allows you to filter your instrument groups and effects without visiting each track in the group.  Filtering the bass from unnecessary elements helps to keep your mixes clean and focused.
  • 2 Tape Saturation colors are now provided for each of the 12 mixbuses, allowing you a choice of 2 different colors ('yellow' and 'orange') as well as the ability to disable the tape saturation entirely by disabling both buttons.  The new 'orange' mode provides a richer harmonic profile than the old tape saturation, and retains more low-end when you drive it hard.
  • The Master bus 'glue' compressor has been re-voiced to work together with the final limiter.  Instead of 3 modes, we now provide a carefully voiced master-bus 'glue' compressor with a progressive ratio, Emphasis knob, and internal 3-stage design that follows your track dynamics to gel your mix.

[Image: v9-4k-excerpt-4-small.png]

How to get version 9:

Visit the Mixbus32C home page

Prior Mixbus32C customers should check your email for a $79 upgrade coupon.

You can try a free demo from our software downloads page.

My Mixbus 9 suggestions 

-The new drive knob in the channels should be a knob cause there is no way to gain signal back to original if needed unless you send to a mixbus but that’s maybe not what every one wants or you can create a slot at the top for a drive knob to drive the signal there then use trim to adjust signal back to levels it was before!! 

-The new compressor mode should be called compressor 2 and be able to be hidden under the 32c eq just like the sends can and the original gain reduction should have 2 full led strips one for original compression mode and another for the new one i really like the older full length meter and not the 4,8 24 I was really not happy about that (honestly it would if been nice if you incorporated the new compression features in the old compression setting area)

-The gate as well should be placed under compression or before as long as we can still rearrange the plugin bars in the mixer of course. But I think maybe the gate section should be only in the mixbusses since it has space for that or it use to have space before this update

-On the mixbusses the HPF button should be at the top instead of EQ because it’s placed above the eq, small fix**

-The hide/show view of mixer sections seems like it can be fixed to look more like a button. It feels like hit and miss, it would be nice if it was lit when enabled and greyed out or something when it’s not.

-The green master enabled button I miss the old button, the new one seems too small

-The compression section on the mixbusses does look a bit odd on top of the drive section it doesn’t feel right

-I know I asked this before but if possible some kind of make up gain for 32c EQ Sad
Wowza!!! I haven’t been this excited about an update in a long time. In fact I’ve not cared for some changes in recent updates. But they were changes in file handling that very few would notice. And I’ve adapted. Smile anyway this new update is beautiful. I did my first mix and barely added any other plug ins. Most eq’s to use as hpf’s before the gates. I like to clean up low end very first in the chain. And I was trying to do the mix with no other plug ins. But I’m okay with doing this. Because everything else is fantastic. 

First I need to say I mostly mix church services recorded live. Not a huge track count, but with live sound there are some challenges. Anyway I’ll start with the gates. What a great addition. So easy to dial in on bgv’s. I always trim up the files too to reduce noise, but I easily add them to help clean up the sound a little more. 

Then the new compressor. I’m in love. I never could tweak the previous compressor like I wanted. It worked on some things. But most of the time I used slate’s vmr. I’ve gotten to really know and like the compressors in it. But didn’t need to use a single one of them today. Finally being able to dial in the built in comp is so nice. 

Then the eq. The eq in 32c has always been nice. But I’ve used the ones in vmr quite a bit too. I mean since I needed it for the comps, I might as well throw an eq on the track while I’m in there. But not today. The new eq seems to do the job even better than before. It’s like it’s cleaner or something. Still ver powerful. But it was super easy to dial in. 

The new drive feature is cool too. I kind of wish there was a way to dial in a little more or a little less. Mostly a little more. And maybe there is and I missed it? 

Then the hpf on the busses. So awesome. I’ve learned that vmr tends to add a lot of low end info on any track. And was constantly putting a hpf on the busses to clean it up. Well after getting the mix to a nice place I did decide to try and add some harmonics via vmr and see if it liked it. I did. But there was now in needed lows. But instead of using a seperate eq, I quickly dialed in the hpf on the busses. 

I also like the new orange tape. It’s kind of easy to overdo, but even then it doesn’t sound bad. I def need to spend some more time playing with this.

Then the new master buss comp. I like it too. Does it’s job without getting in the way. I do normally use a multi band compressor via softube 1973 on the master also. So I added it after the built in comp. Got a nice glue going between it and the built in comp. Then a little final limiting and loudness with fg-x2. My mix was done. 

I’ll back tomorrow and see what all I used. I know I also used a couple of waves maxx volumes. I like those on speakers to help balance their levels. Then I used some reverb plug ins. I used Harrison’s spectral compressor on the back ground vocal buss. And a few vmr’s for character in the drum buss and instrument buss. But I think that was pretty much it. So cool. And with time can probably use even less plugins. So cool. Thanks mixbus team. Job well done.
Tongue 
Aw maaaan.... I finally took the plunge and updated to V8 less than two weeks ago!!

I don't suppose, as today's my birthday, and I'm not even a month into V8 (having had 5, 6 and 7) that I could get a 'gift' from Harrison Rolleyes

Seriously, though, these updates look amazing! I'm taking the plunge next month to upgrade from my old Mac Pro 5,1 to an new M2 machine. Can't wait to try this out on the new hardware.
@spkr4thdd. https://mixbus.helpscoutdocs.com/article...ade-policy Contact support mixbus@harrisonconsoles.com. Happy birthday
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Just up-graded from v6 because this is exactly the version I'd been hoping for.
First impression is, I love it - this now has to be the best sounding and ergonomic mixing environment available anywhere.
Only one minor niggle - the indicator lamps on the sends should have been made the same size as the lamps on the compressor. I'm working on a 65in, 4k screen, but if I use a resolution which allows me to stack modules in the channel strip (which I like to do) the send lamps become almost invisible. On the same resolution, the compressor lamps are fine. An easy fix maybe for 9.1?