Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixbus32C v8 - with Clip Launching - Now Available!
This may not be the right place to ask this but then I refer you to the post I made in the Linux support part, but this is a more active part of the forum and it is about V8.

Is it normal that there is no content under Groove Monkey MIDI Drums in the bundled content window. as there is for the chords and other loops and stuff
Have there been any upgrades to the Harrison proprietary parts of Mixbus since V6?
Mac Pro 5,1 | 6x 3,4Ghz | 48GB | OS X 10.14  | Macbook Pro M1 | 16GB | OS X 14.4 | Metric Halo 2882 3d 
http://www.sounddesign-pro.com
Thank you Nathan for this video:
https://youtu.be/XW_ZbFXZFVg

Nice!!
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

I think you are on the right track with the cue clip function!
Keep on listening to various groups of users.
Why did Logic imitate Ableton?? Because clip launching is very useful for plenty of users!
You may start with clip mode , as a base for you’re song. In the next step you switch over to more traditional recording methods, still in the same program.
Very Nice!
Why shouldn’t Harrison follow in that direction. And with you’re own touch! Well done!
Also I looking forward to real good implementations with icon gear, even the smaller ones.
Keep on moving!!
(03-23-2022, 01:50 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote:    Also also also,  before you condemn the Cues page too much, I highly encourage you to investigate the "Cue Markers" feature which (afaict) does not exist in any other DAW, and takes clip-launching to another level when applied to 'linear' song arrangements.

Thank you very much for your thoughts.

-Ben

Sorry to say Ben, but you probably know it, Ableton does this exact thing since version 1, more than twenty years ago. I mean the ability to build an arrangement from a non-linear material.
I have a question about this feature : in your screen captures, the Cues are represented by letters. Does that mean you can't use more than 26 cues ?
(03-27-2022, 03:23 AM)Stephane Morisse Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 01:50 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote:    Also also also,  before you condemn the Cues page too much, I highly encourage you to investigate the "Cue Markers" feature which (afaict) does not exist in any other DAW, and takes clip-launching to another level when applied to 'linear' song arrangements.

-Ben

Sorry to say Ben, but you probably know it, Ableton does this exact thing since version 1, more than twenty years ago. I mean the ability to build an arrangement from a non-linear material.
I have a question about this feature : in your screen captures, the Cues are represented by letters. Does that mean you can't use more than 26 cues ?
Stephane,  Ableton has been studied for many months in developing the Cue system now in Mixbus32c and Abelton does not use Cue markers on the timeline.  It was not the goal to copy them exactly but look at what they do and give it a different spin.  Abelton didn't record Michael Jackson on a Abelton console.  It was done a 32c console.  Each hardware and software company can take the best the industry has to offer and adapt it to their own products.  Reaper still hasn't gone down this path but I wouldn't be surprised if they did eventually.
The Doctor
Getting Surgical with Audio
(03-26-2022, 01:01 PM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: Thank you Nathan for this video:
https://youtu.be/XW_ZbFXZFVg

Nice!!

+1
Cool
(03-27-2022, 01:13 PM)Nathan@Harrison Wrote:
(03-27-2022, 03:23 AM)Stephane Morisse Wrote:

-Ben

Stephane,  Ableton has been studied for many months in developing the Cue system now in Mixbus32c and Abelton does not use Cue markers on the timeline.  It was not the goal to copy them exactly but look at what they do and give it a different spin.  Abelton didn't record Michael Jackson on a Abelton console.  It was done a 32c console.  Each hardware and software company can take the best the industry has to offer and adapt it to their own products.  Reaper still hasn't gone down this path but I wouldn't be surprised if they did eventually.

Hi Nathan,
the second part of your answer is totally off topic and sounds condescending to me. Ableton introduced a revolutionary approach to non-linear composition back in 2001 and at that time, almost everyone in the "serious softwares" field laughed at them, albeit someone like Hans Zimmer immediatly understood how it would change his way of working with audio to picture. And yes, you can take a "scene" (in the ableton words) and bring it in the arrangement, and do that back and forth, since day 1. It doesn't automatically create a kind of marker, like it seems to be the case in Mixbus V8, but you can create one manually. Yeah, for sure, this is an extra step...
By the way, I would like to have an answer about my question : "in your screen captures, the Cues are represented by letters. Does that mean you can't use more than 26 cues ?"
@Stephane: there is no software limit to the number of Cues. But for the purposes of shortcut-actions, and easy assignments to cues and such, it seems like 24 rows, A-X is a nice number for the forseeable future. As you mention, we aren't changing our focus to clip-launching but rather including the basic functions ... in the same way that Ableton and Bitwig have less mixer experience but they still have one in the software.

Cue Markers are different from Ableton Scenes in a subtle way: you can assign and arrange Cue Markers on the timeline but the 'contents' of exactly what happens in each Cue (including resulting follow-actions and random Jumps etc) are still changeable on the fly.

Cue Markers don't replace the need to print your tracks to the timeline, but they are something new and slightly different. Like any new development, it will likely take a few iterations with feedback from our users to make the most of this new feature.

-Ben
I came across this thread looking for something that compares Ardour and Mixbus.  My question: if you have Mixbus, is there any reason to get Ardour?  It looks like with Ardour you can get some workaround for the 12 bus limitation, but that's not an issue here. Maybe there are some specific plugins, but we have hundreds of 3rd party plugins.   Does Ardour do anything significant that Mixbus doesn't, or anything better?  Is Mixbus basically Ardour with emulated Harrison channel strips? 

I'd also echo an earlier question in this thread about whether there are any changes to Mixbus since V6 that are specific to Mixbus, or whether all of them are changes to Ardour.  I have 32C V7, terabytes of content, and no interest in Cues (which as Ben points out is an Ardour feature, rather than something specific to Mixbus).  Does Mixbus 8 add anything beyond changes to the underlying Ardour code?
----
Mini 2018 32G i7, OS X 14.6, MB32C7, DP 10.13, Logic 10.5, Focusrite 18i8