Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixbus32C v8 - with Clip Launching - Now Available!
Is there documentation or examples of what's changed with MCU? I think whether it should be backward grafted to v7 has a lot to do with what "improvement" means. Bug fixes, sure--you should apply it back...but, new functionality? I mean that's what a new version does right? 

Did you ever include Ardour's Tranzport code? I'd buy the upgrade JUST for that. Wink 

I will say...don't "get" the cue thing. Sure. Ableton. Is there something more "traditionally" useful with the feature: example: Like working in Chunks in DP always was...Cubase has it's Arranger Track that functions similarly...will this work that way? Where I can carve up the multitrack recording into sections (setting cue markers?) and reorg the sections as needed...? That's something Mixbus has been lacking that I do use on occasion. Or is this a loop browser/arranging thing like Ableton?
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com
(03-23-2022, 03:58 PM)razvan75 Wrote: New version sounds exciting but still doesn't fix the issues introduced by the new plug-in manager post version 7.0. Mixbus 8.0 crashes for me while searching for VST plugins.

I am unable to use any version after 7.0 so unfortunately, I guess it's the end of the road for me as far as new Mixbus releases. Yes, I did open tickets with Harrison and it all boils down to
"If Mixbus loads normally without plugins but then fails during startup after you've scanned, then your only option is to remove the VST plugins from your vst folder(s), and replace them a few at a time, until you find the plugin that is preventing Mixbus from loading."
after going though deletion of preference and re-installing.

I'm using Reaper, ProTools and Cubase AND Mixbus32c v 7.0 & Mixbus 6.x with no issues. Using Mixbus because it sounds much better out of the box than all the others but I suppose I'm out of luck for now.

Let me know which plugins are giving you trouble and I can do some testing on my end.
The Doctor
Getting Surgical with Audio
(03-23-2022, 03:59 PM)dspasic Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 01:50 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: (2) anecdotally, most people don't really want 'serious midi' at all... they just want the abstract concepts of flexible musical arrangement, variety of sounds, tempo changes without audio compromise, and, in short, a drum-machine/jam-along buddy which the new Cues page does extremely well.    

Also also also,  before you condemn the Cues page too much, I highly encourage you to investigate the "Cue Markers" feature which (afaict) does not exist in any other DAW, and takes clip-launching to another level when applied to 'linear' song arrangements.

Thank you very much for your thoughts.

-Ben
depends on how many people you've listened to in general, but 'midi complaints' are present since day one.. this includes ardour of course.. Bug tracker is full of those.. Smile. That's only about midi issues, we are still not talking about features how one could handle midi better (which was suggested many times). Not trying to insult or anything alike, just giving my opinion..

Ben@Harrison

Also also also,  before you condemn the Cues page too much, I highly encourage you to investigate the "Cue Markers" feature which (afaict) does not exist in any other DAW, and takes clip-launching to another level when applied to 'linear' song arrangements.

just because it is 'unique' does not mean it is better than other approach. 
first example that crosses my mind which shows how cue markers are lacking > in bitwig or (ableton) live, you record directly midi from scenes/cue into timeline, not  markers. This means that you are able to edit small variations, which in Mixbus at current state - no way one could achieve.. 

@andy76
This is an Ardour team decision. I can see the logic here is that there is no Abletone-type software under Linux which is the main target audience for Ardour. There is Reaper with its MIDI for Linux. So maybe they thought that this looper functionality would attract a lot of new and young users to Ardour raising the support and the financial stability for the project.

> you should check Bitwig. It's native linux for a long time, another approach from Mixbus/ardour in general, but you got a lot of other benefits.. Ardour simply cannot reach that state in 5 years (by current progress), so why waste time re-inventing the wheel?

just my humble opinion
Printing to the timeline is not fully developed but its being worked on.
The Doctor
Congratulations Harrison with the new 8 version!
Whatever the criticism, it is still a big step forward!
and the desires of the midi world will be heard and created!
This is a great product! And everyone has minuses!
Congratulations again and I hope MIDI will be great
what customers want!
I enjoyed using Mixbus32C v6, but when I updated to v7 the massive increase use of resources made the program unusable.
I reverted to an different program, and it works fine.

v7 of 32C, with no plugins runs with DSP at 92%.

Computer is HP I7 w/1tb SDD, 32gb RAM  Audio connection: Tascam US 16x08

Upgrading to 32C v8 seems like a waste if it is also unusable

If I am doing something wrong, and v7 /v8 can run on my system, please let me know, as I liked the functionality of Mixbus.

Jim
Best to download the demo and try it out.

Cheers!
Patrick
(03-24-2022, 09:58 AM)jsmollon Wrote: I enjoyed using Mixbus32C v6, but when I updated to v7 the massive increase use of resources made the program unusable.

If I am doing something wrong, and v7 /v8 can run on my system, please let me know, as I liked the functionality of Mixbus.

Jim
Hi J,

Do you have your Tascam plugged into its own USB port and not a hub?  It rare that you would get such high DSP from a souped up system like you have.  Also make sure any anti virus software or something else is not interfering with Mixbus.  Send us an email for further support. mixbus@harrisonconsoles.com
The Doctor
$79 upgrade price will be €95-100 in Europe tax included. I don’t see any new feature that justifies paying this money. I hope version 9 will bring a GUI change for the better. After using the 32c Channel and Bus plugins in another DAW, I find it hard mixing in MB7 32c with the small EQ panels and readings. Not to mention.. “Customized keybindings and theme colors are intentionally not carried forward between versions.  You should write our support email if you need to convert those files from v7 to v8.”  Why? lol
(03-25-2022, 05:30 AM)Lese Wrote: $79 upgrade price will be €95-100 in Europe tax included. I don’t see any new feature that justifies paying this money.

Paid 74,73 € without VAT yesterday. One year after MB7 this is like less than 7€/month which I feel is like cheap just for getting ongoing support from Harrison. But i get this view may differ if one isn't using it for work and just checks the new features in 8.0 (which for the most part I can gladly ignore)

That being said:  I'm really looking forward to 8.1 to bring the variable high band frequency control from the Bus-PlugIn to the 32C-Mixer!  Wink
(03-24-2022, 12:08 PM)Nathan@Harrison Wrote:
(03-24-2022, 09:58 AM)jsmollon Wrote: I enjoyed using Mixbus32C v6, but when I updated to v7 the massive increase use of resources made the program unusable.

Jim
Hi J,

Do you have your Tascam plugged into its own USB port and not a hub?  It rare that you would get such high DSP from a souped up system like you have.  Also make sure any anti virus software or something else is not interfering with Mixbus.  Send us an email for further support. mixbus@harrisonconsoles.com

I have the Tascam USB cable plugged directly in to the USB 3.0 of the computer. I have updated all USB, Tascam, motherboard drivers. Killed all unnecessary running programs and computer protection. The only other program running on the computer is a mixer control program by Lectrosonics to control the Aspen 1624 mixer I am using. In a test, I used a laptop to control the mixer, and saw no noticeable change in the processing rate of Mixbus. The Aspen 1624 just feeds analog audio to the Tascam, so getting it off the main computer isn't an issue. (I also control the 1624 with an iPad or Android tablet using software I wrote, but that has no effect on Mixbus system usage.)
I was using Mixbus v6 earlier with no issues. I upgraded to 32C v7, and if I remember correctly started having issues after that, or after a minor v7 upgrade.
As I mentioned, I like the layout of 32C. I like the sound and functionally, but if adding a flange or chorus puts the DSP over 100%... I can't use it.
(I have a spare Tascam 16x08, and tried it as well. Same issue.)
Any thought would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim Smollon