Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio Out Options
I'm new with DAW's and with Mixbus. We are trying to set this up for live streaming ( using Mixbus to create a mix for broadcast that is different than our FOH mix.) Using a direct USB connection from our Yamaha TF5 console, I'm able to capture 34 channels, using the Yamaha/Steinberg USB driver. And that is the Input and Output device that comes up in the Audio/MIDI set up window.

As you all probably know, Windows 10 won't let you use one "device" for input and another for output. And we don't want to simply send this newly created mix back to the TF5. So I installed Voexngo Recorder as a plugin on the master channel. That works great for getting the audio out.

Here are my two questions; ( one may be more of a general Mixbus question than a Windows question....sorry.)

1. Am I able to use the Monitor section in this arrangement? I would like to be able to use it for control room sound. If so, how do I actually capture the audio from the Monitor Section and route it to the control room. Right now, in the drop down box, all that shows up are the 34 channels from the TF5.

2. I've tried to enable the "Stereo Mix" option in Windows to be able to have audio output from two jacks on the PC; front panel for headphones/control room and rear connection for feed to the live stream. Doesn't seem to work. The desired condition would be for different volume levels for each. Is there a way that we can accomplish this?

Thanks for the help!
(10-30-2020, 07:19 PM)Brian Mills Wrote: I'm new with DAW's and with Mixbus. We are trying to set this up for live streaming ( using Mixbus to create a mix for broadcast that is different than our FOH mix.) Using a direct USB connection from our Yamaha TF5 console, I'm able to capture 34 channels, using the Yamaha/Steinberg USB driver. And that is the Input and Output device that comes up in the Audio/MIDI set up window.

As you all probably know, Windows 10 won't let you use one "device" for input and another for output. And we don't want to simply send this newly created mix back to the TF5. So I installed Voexngo Recorder as a plugin on the master channel. That works great for getting the audio out.

Here are my two questions; ( one may be more of a general Mixbus question than a Windows question....sorry.)

1. Am I able to use the Monitor section in this arrangement? I would like to be able to use it for control room sound. If so, how do I actually capture the audio from the Monitor Section and route it to the control room. Right now, in the drop down box, all that shows up are the 34 channels from the TF5.

2. I've tried to enable the "Stereo Mix" option in Windows to be able to have audio output from two jacks on the PC; front panel for headphones/control room and rear connection for feed to the live stream. Doesn't seem to work. The desired condition would be for different volume levels for each. Is there a way that we can accomplish this?

Thanks for the help!

You might want to look into Jack - it will let you do all these things, using different devices, monitoring separately from master fader etc and more
https://jackaudio.org/faq/jack_on_windows.html

HTH
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(10-30-2020, 08:18 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(10-30-2020, 07:19 PM)Brian Mills Wrote: I'm new with DAW's and with Mixbus. We are trying to set this up for live streaming ( using Mixbus to create a mix for broadcast that is different than our FOH mix.) Using a direct USB connection from our Yamaha TF5 console, I'm able to capture 34 channels, using the Yamaha/Steinberg USB driver. And that is the Input and Output device that comes up in the Audio/MIDI set up window.

Thanks for the help!

You might want to look into Jack - it will let you do all these things, using different devices, monitoring separately from master fader etc and more

HTH
MMM

Max, thanks for the reply. I'm puzzled though because on the Harrison website I found this info : "On Windows and MacOS, JACK has become (mostly) a tool for developers and is no longer widely used. JACK is no longer necessary, or desired, for Mixbus version 3 and newer."

Is there some functionality built into Mixbus 6 that replicates the process of Jack? Have you used Jack in your setup?
From a MB/MB32C perspective that is true. That is, you do not need to run JACK in order to use MB/MB32C.
However, in order to implement connectivity to/from any other music related software apps that you want to use
you need some non-MB arbitrator whose job is to maintain all of those connections, audio and MIDI.
THAT is when you would want to run JACK, or any other similar tool.

Cheers!
Patrick
Spot on Patrick.

I add that the "no longer required for Mixbus" comes from the history of Ardour (the basis of Mixbus). Then in the Olden Times™ audio routing in Linux didn't exist, so Paul Davis created Jack in order to create Ardour.
With the inclusion of other platforms (Windows, OSX) and the development of Linux audio Jack became obsolete for the basic functionality, but still is a valuable tool which I don't want to miss ever. Especially the transparent routing between machines through the network is priceless!

MMM
Linux throughout!

(10-31-2020, 05:19 PM)PBuryk Wrote: From a MB/MB32C perspective that is true. That is, you do not need to run JACK in order to use MB/MB32C.
However, in order to implement connectivity to/from any other music related software apps that you want to use
you need some non-MB arbitrator whose job is to maintain all of those connections, audio and MIDI.
THAT is when you would want to run JACK, or any other similar tool.

Cheers!
Patrick

Patrick,

Thanks for that great info, and Mmax for the ditto. You mention "any other similar tool". Being a DAW novice, does Voxengo Recorder fit in that category? Also, what kind of latency will JACK introduce. Remember that this setup is for live streaming a band.
@Brian Mills,
by "any other similar tool" I assume MMM is talking about any Virtual Audio Device, Jack Audio (which works tri-platform) is one, Soundflower and VB-Audio etc..are others.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(10-31-2020, 09:28 PM)Brian Mills Wrote: Also, what kind of latency will JACK introduce. Remember that this setup is for live streaming a band.

No latency added. https://jackaudio.org/faq/no_extra_latency.html

Besides: yes you are live streaming, but will the audience notice a few milliseconds delay? Only if they are in the same room and hear the original at the same time, plus, that also diminshes the farther away they are from stage... and why would they listen to the broadcast anyway?

At work we do a lot of video conferencing with noticeable latencies, but noticed only if you listen to your own speech from the live stream via room speakers - the 2 seconds until feedback blares that is Smile

MMM
Linux throughout!

(11-01-2020, 12:08 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 09:28 PM)Brian Mills Wrote: Also, what kind of latency will JACK introduce. Remember that this setup is for live streaming a band.

No latency added. https://jackaudio.org/faq/no_extra_latency.html

Besides: yes you are live streaming, but will the audience notice a few milliseconds delay? Only if they are in the same room and hear the original at the same time, plus, that also diminshes the farther away they are from stage... and why would they listen to the broadcast anyway?

At work we do a lot of video conferencing with noticeable latencies, but noticed only if you listen to your own speech from the live stream via room speakers - the 2 seconds until feedback blares that is Smile

MMM

MMM, my only concern with latency is to not be too far out of sync with the video once the two are joined. No, the "viewing" audience will not notice a few milliseconds.
Sad 
(10-30-2020, 08:18 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:

Thanks for the help!

HTH
MMM

MMM<

Well, I tried to load Jack onto my Windows 10 machine, and apparently the 64bit version is not quite ready for prime time. The install instructions for Windows on the Jack web site are old and refer to a process of having to register the JackRouter.dll. That .dll does not exist in Jack2. However, the Jack Controller starts right up, but will not do anything because the connection to the jack server will not happen. So.......