Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Master Bus Compressor question.
Hello Mixbusers! (?)
Can I have any comments on using the strip compressor on the master strip in replacement of the famous ssl master bus?
Someone use it that way? Or for the master there is no way of using the Harrison's one?

I appreciate any opinions and thoughts!
Thanks!!!!
Heyyyy nobody wanna share some?
Im trying to learn from here guys yeah.
Trying the "compressor" mode in the drum mixbus with a 2:1 trying to replicate the Pump mode from waves ssl master bus.

Hope somebody else can share secret sauces Wink
I've seen some post of people using the "Leveler" mode on the master bus, stating the results were good. Give it a go and let us know how it worked for you ... I've yet to try it my self but thanks for reminding me as I usually grab my go to comp automatically. Guess I'll try it on my next mix ...
Itsik Friedman
Storm Productions
http://www.stormproductions.co.il
I'm a little confused here...
Are you:
1) Looking for comments and experiences from others who have used the
Harrison Master channel strip Lev/Comp/Lim to finalize their mixes?
Or,
2) Are you looking for comments specifically comparing the Harrison Master channel
strip Lev/Com/Lim capabilities to those of an SSL plugin on the Master mixbus?

1) There are many of use who have used the Lev/Com/Lim feature of the Master
channel strip and are satisfied with the results. There are also many of us who have
purchased Harrison's XT and AVA plugins with the hopes that they might produce
better results. I think the fact that Harrison has made their XT and AVA plugins
available is an acknowledgment that something better than the Lev/Comp/Lim
might be better suited for mix finalizing. But that is not to say that the Lev/Comp/Lim
is not a useful or capable tool.

2) So your question, I guess, should be more along the line of comparison of the
SSL plugin to the Harrison XT / AVA Mastering plugins as they were developed
to address the same target use as the SSL (and others) products.

Cheers!
Patrick
Hey Sub-Zero and Patrick!
yes, yes to all! English is not my native languaje so maybe that's why I tend to confuse instead to make good questions, sorry about that!

What Im trying to seek here is to narrow down the "missinformation" round there and trying ro replicate real concepts with the tools itself.
I will go deeper on this one, for example Im learning from a mixing course that uses ProTools, and to this particular Drums treatment this mentor sets a Drums Bus with the G Master from Waves with the "punch" preset, that is basically a 30ms attq and 1 release.
Now that I read my previous post and what I've done yesterday during the mix, and reading more forum posts and even the manual, I must say that LEVELER is the mode that I will choose instead of Compressor mode, always speaking about strip compressors. That intention is just not go and insert a master plugin on the drum bus just because the teacher did it, Im trying to break it down the concept and then see if I've already have the tools in the strip, not to be redundant on something that's (maybe) already there.

And yes, then is the Master Bus, that in the course this persons uses a 10ms attq and Auto release.
of course Im lost there on how to replicate the "auto" with Harrison's compressors as a mix finalizer.
And I know that I can try and hear, of course, Im on it. But I wanted to ask you guys that I assume are more experienced in the field how are you dealing with this kind of workflow.

Thanks for share! and hope you can still replying!
Pi_K -

All great questions!
It would be so nice to be able to attend a Master Class on Mix Refinement & Mastering,
using ONLY Harrison Mixbus and its built-in features... But I have not seen that offered
anywhere. THAT, I think, would address your, my, and many other's questions here.
In the meantime, what is available are the in-person classes and many online tutorials (YouTube videos, etc.)
that cover subject matter using other DAWs and plugins, from which one must
reconstruct using those tools that we currently own. Not always straight forward.

We're a pretty diverse group of members here and so language does, occasionally,
cloud the intention of the poster. That's ok... Just revise your questions as best you
can and stay on topic. But remember, it might take a while for the right person to decide to read old
posts and come across your request. In the meantime, persist... experiment...
and report your findings - they may be helpful to others!

Cheers!
Patrick
Thanks a lot Patrick!
I know that the easy way is inserting waves plugin and that's it, mimicing what the mentor does and forget about it, move to other things on the mix.
But let's be honest, since we choose Mixbus instead, let's say, P. Tools we know that we are not built that way...
If you are learning how to mix here some of my posts years ago on compressors on Mixcoach and on my yotube channel
that helped others a lot
https://mixcoach.com/setting-threshold-compressors/
https://mixcoach.com/mastering-separatel...on-the-go/
about leveller:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev6uXg6vtDY
Have a great study
best
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
I've found that "Leveler" works really well. It's all I use on channel strips and the masterbus. I don't have any other plugins to use anyway.
I also use the "Limiter" on the masterbus just to tame the peaks.
hey thanks Tassy and stixstudios!
oh yeah, Im always learning indeed. Right now Im having a mix course but the mentor uses ProTools and this Waves SSL bus compressor that Im trying to replace with the strip compressor on the mixbuses, and also I was asking about the same concept for the master bus.
Still confused by the settings of the knobs from Waves vs. the fixed parameters in Harrison's.