Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Master Bus Compressor question.
I have SSL bus compr, I know lot guys like it , I do not, found that muffles the sound a hair that I do not like.
The Glue (not cheep) is way better than SSL. I would try any compr you have and see if you like the sound.
Most compressors create harmonic distortion that makes the difference and also some other features, No two compr are doing the same.

SSL channel is great in leveler mode, SSL Bus compr is not my kind....
If you do not have some compressors use, for the time being, as others suggested the leveler mode in the mixbus strip.
Also the built in leveler on/off makes the difference or other brickwall (Loudmax free is great even has intersample protection!)
I do not use the built in leveler but an Izotpe or Loudmax, since I mix to ceiling -0.3 -0.4 dB instead of -1 the built in is set to. Iprefer higher dynamic ranges.
but that is another story..

My opinion on master compressors usage is that if it is doing more than 0.3-0.7 dB it is better to restart mixing the songSmile
best
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
Tassy!! Great reply, thanks! Look, today I run a little experiment after mixing some drums.
Ending the mix session I decided to insert the waves ssl on the master and load the CLA mix finalizer preset.
Basically is doing 4:1 10ms atrq and auto release.
Reducing almost those 4db on peaks.
Have in mind Im mixing a punk pop song so yeah, there are no so much dynamics here, everithing has to be pumping up.
So then I bypassed the waves ans started to fiddle with the Harrison master strip comp in compressor mode, 4:1 and setting the threshold to do almost the same as CLA preset.
Honestly? I liked... then after several tweaking minutes yes I listened what the Waves were doing, like sofocating much the whole song.
Was ok but I get the same effect with the compressor built in so, I dont have any other compressor than waves.
Will try the glue if there is a demo period and try to get to your point, thanks for all the info Tassy!!!
Its great to share this experiences somewhere in the box hehe
You are welcome
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
A great free Plug is, "Limiter No. 6" by Vlad
https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/limiter6/
Very versatile, 2 different GUI's, stereo or mono, comp/limit or limit/comp, change with just a click. it's very analog-ish and does not have presets, you actually have to learn what the controls do. Yes, it takes a little practice but it works very well, I will say that from my experience if it sounds bad, you need to keep adjusting. I guaranty that if you learn to use what it has to offer it will perform very well. And if you don't like it, remember, it's free (it is a quality piece of software). It kind of reminds of a Gates Sta-Level. It took me a bit of practice to use this tool properly. It is my only non-Mixbuss plugin. I own all the XT plugs and the X-42 plugs. I don't seem to need anything else, but as always, Your Mileage May Vary!
Have fun experimenting!
Best of Luck
Alex
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
thanks Alex! I will give it a try of course!
Today I took the built in compressor off in the master strip, and returned to SSL one "just because" that was my feeling today. So subjective everything is...
Im downloading the Limiter N6 and The Glue!
(07-04-2020, 10:45 AM)Pi_K Wrote: thanks Alex! I will give it a try of course!
Today I took the built in compressor off in the master strip, and returned to SSL one "just because" that was my feeling today. So subjective everything is...
Im downloading the Limiter N6 and The Glue!

I may suggest a free dynamic EQ for you and it is one of the few plugs that can be can be side-chained in MB. Great plug:TDR Nova.
Tassy
A little advice. When using Limiter No.6, I shut off the built in limiter and I leave the built in comp/limiter/leveler off, also, I put the Limiter No.6 Post Fader on the master to start and adjust and listen from there.
Best
Alex
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
Thanks for those tips Alex!
But Tassy, you lost me on this one. You use a dyn eq on the mixing stage? Do you save something for the mastering?
Could be this a genere specific differenciation?
Yeah, Im lost
(07-04-2020, 12:58 PM)Pi_K Wrote: Thanks for those tips Alex!
But Tassy, you lost me on this one. You use a dyn eq on the mixing stage? Do you save something for the mastering?
Could be this a genere specific differenciation?
Yeah, Im lost
In the past about ten thousand mixing hours I have been using dyn eqs old/new voxengo Gliss EQ and nowadays Nova for a special sidechain task on a bus.
I do not trust "rules" what to do or what not. If it sounds good it is goodSmile
As to mastering I have my ideas:
https://mixcoach.com/mastering-separatel...on-the-go/
Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Tassy
"I do not trust "rules" what to do or what not. If it sounds good it is good."

No truer words were ever spoken.
I do not trust one solution for all issues. And I don't like presets. I like to start from zero, from the beginning and work my way to the finish. Also, if your customer can afford it, send the finished mix to a Mastering Engineer. Gateway Mastering (Bob Ludwig) is less than an hour from my studio.
Alex