Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixer as a VI
MadMax -

I LOVE your recommendation to the original posted question.
MB/MB32C certainly have the input and routing capabilities to tack on just about any
recorder/editor front end to then use MB/MB32C as the back-end mixer. Total win!

But I do have to laugh at the context of this thread though...
"In the old days" the entirety of the recording portion of the chain was playing through
a console and directing the results to a tape machine. Pure and simple.
Editing was then either a session of punch-ins or razor cuts as needed.

Both of these phases have been implemented, in various ways, by (name your
favorite DAW), each providing features that go far beyond the simplicity of the olden
methods. But, while the essential basic operations have been provided by all DAWS,
it seems to be the enhancements (bells & whistles) that are debated with the most
enthusiasm and call for inclusion into one's favorite DAW.

Regarding the mixing phase of the project, again, the basic and essential functionality
is provided by (just about) every DAW available, but we've become spoiled by
advanced features that, up until a few years ago, were only available on $$$$$$$
hardware. They have nothing to do with the actual ability to complete the mix,
only the easy by which more and more complicated mixes can be accomplished.

I love the fact that Harrison has focused on Mixer portion of the recording-studio-in-a-box
solution. MB/MB32C indeed provide -all- of the essential mixing functionality, with
a familiar user interface AND they continue to enhance this with more and more of those
features that are now "expected" by their customers. I think Harrison is 100% on
the right track (pun intended) as far as the growth and direction of MB/MB32C.

Cheers!
Patrick
There's no reason to do all the inner app routing. Export the audio files from Cubase when you're ready to mix. Import them into Mixbus.

If you're going to go through the trouble of setting up inter app audio, honestly? Just get AirWindows freeware PurestConsole to fix Cubase's summing and a tape sim to stick on the drum buss (Cubase's sounds fine for that IMO-just don't "drive" it--turn it on in the Channel strip of the Drum buss channel). I love the 32c EQ AND their channel dynamics, but they're not "better" than third party options--they're just baked in and fast due to the automatic stuff. if you'll put the tape saturation LAST on the Cubase Channel strip, so that you're EQ'ing INTO a HF limiter, the combo will go a long way. I think Cubase's UI has gone downhill. I bought the v10 upgrade...with maybe two additions, the UI is worse. The vocal tuning is world class now-the channel strip sounds competitively good...but, in terms of UI, man it's bloat city.

Cut to philosophical point:
I'm a firm believer in the philosophical separation and sanctity of the mixdown. You NEED to set your levels at track level...you need to organize "better" than you do when you're creatively throwing spaghetti at the wall in composition. When I do big string arrangements...I use Cubase...and even if I'm tracking IN Cubase--it gets it's own project, because all I want in the real project are the section stems or sometimes just a stereo string track. My point being--you NEED to export non proprietary timestamped WAV files of your multitrack for the archive. NEED. So, there's no better way to do and TEST that simultaneously as immediately bringing that archived consolidated multitrack into a new project to mix--whether you use Mixbus or Cubase or whatever.

There's a certain amount of engineering hygine that actually impacts the results. Promise. It's not really much more "trouble" to pull them into Mixbus to mix vs into a separate Cubase project. Couple extra clicks--better sounding mixer. Obvi-YMMV.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com
(05-20-2020, 03:32 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 02:45 AM)shadowfax Wrote: I'm not the sharpest tool in the toolbox when it comes to computers and DAW's..in fact I'm more likely to be the most blunt toolConfused

Haha don't be too hard on yourself.
Here's a video:
https://youtu.be/nJKSImri0vA
It's rather old but you could base on that.
The idea is to create one utility bus in Mixbus for every track in Cubase. Then use Jack to connect the single track outputs with these Mixbus utility bus inputs. Disconnect Cubase from your audio hardware.
Now you are routing your audio through Mixbus, just like with a plugin. You compose and edit in Cubase but use the channels in Mixbus. The only downsides are that you have to create a new bus and connection in Mixbus everytime you add one in Cubase and you have to maintain two sessions per project. Oh and you can export the result only in realtime, by recording the Mixbus output in either DAW.

HTH or ask more questions, happy to help.
MMM

P.S.: if you use tracks instead of utility buses you could record the Cubase tracks when finished and do the final mix in Mixbus only Smile

Hi MMM, interesting reply and thanx for the explanation. However I'm in the same boat as the poster: trying to route cubase output to Mixbuss v6 (all tutorials are for other daw's or for earlier mixbuss versions). got Jack up and running, got Cubase up and running (created cubase outputconnections visible in Jackcontrol); but when it comes to configure Mixbuss 6, i stumble on problems: creating aux busses or audiotracks don't give the option to connect to the cubase outputs . Following the tutorials, you should therefor go to the routing grid of the buss or track, and select "others" : where to find the external daw outputs. However this option is nowhere to find or see in the routing grid. Also following the tutorials the audio/midi input should be set to Jack (version 6 gives portaudio as default, with the option to switch to Jack. But as soon you switch to Jack, an error message occures: could not reconnect to audio/midi engine.

So, is it me doing something wrong? Or is it version 6 which workflow is different now from earlier versions to let connect mixbuss to the output of other Daws?
(06-30-2020, 10:00 AM)soniklee Wrote: versions). got Jack up and running, got Cubase up and running (created cubase outputconnections visible in Jackcontrol); but when it comes to configure Mixbuss 6, i stumble on problems: creating aux busses or audiotracks

Connect the mixbus to jack(control) and use the channels as inputs

Thats it
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(06-30-2020, 10:39 AM)Frank Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 10:00 AM)soniklee Wrote: versions). got Jack up and running, got Cubase up and running (created cubase outputconnections visible in Jackcontrol); but when it comes to configure Mixbuss 6, i stumble on problems: creating aux busses or audiotracks

Thats it

Hi Frank, thank you for your input.
however that is just the case:it seems that version 6 does not let it connect to jack. Everytime I tried i get the error: could not reconnect to audio/midi engine.

Someone else pointed out that in version 6 Jack is not longer working... ??
(06-30-2020, 10:49 AM)soniklee Wrote:

Thats it

however that is just the case:it seems that version 6 does not let it connect to jack. Everytime I tried i get the error: could not reconnect to audio/midi engine.

Without explaining the steps you take it is had to assist.

I saw you create a new post on every question you have.

a better way is to check the manual describe what you do and give us the result. And keep it to one thread.
regards

Frank
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(06-30-2020, 12:49 PM)Frank Wrote:

Thats it

a better way is to check the manual describe what you do and give us the result. And keep it to one thread.
regards

Frank

Hi Frank, yes you are absolutaly right and indeed good advice to keep it to 1 thread.
However in my defence:
after i submitted my first thread in which i explained every step and result ( on which i received 1 reply that in version 6 Jack does not work) , i stumbled on this thread.
Here i only replied to MMM's post in which he describes how to fix the problem, and gave my 2 cents of my adventure :
that in version 6; it seems not to work the way he refers to ( which is an old tutorial on how to connect Protools to Mixbuss).

One more thing i want to clear out:
I'm somebody who does read manuals ( and in my humble opinion the manual of version 6 is lacking a lot regarding this point, the online manual of V6 shows even a print of the Audio/Midi Input box totaly different than the one of version 6).
So in my first thread; i explained all the steps i took with the results; alll by reading and following the manuals of both programs - I am not a 16year old puber, and looking at your picture i would say we are from the same age :-)
So I got a lot of experience working with DAW's ; reading their manuals and find solutions to problems.

Mixbuss 6 however does not match the tutorials or manuals regarding routing audio of other DAW's to Mixbuss.
1. Audio/Midi input cannot be set to Jack, gives error : cannot reconnect
2. Creating the necessary aux busses or audio tracks to route the cubase outputs: the option in the grid is lacking the "others" where normally the cubase outputs are stated.

And indeed, i am repeating myself again, and respecting your opinion about that, i will stop :-)

many thanks for trying to help me and all the other people on this forum. Best regards
(06-30-2020, 03:56 PM)soniklee Wrote:

Thats it

regards

Frank

Hi Frank, yes you are absolutaly right and indeed good advice to keep it to 1 thread.
However in my defence:
after i submitted my first thread in which i explained every step and result ( on which i received 1 reply that in version 6 Jack does not work) , i stumbled on this thread.
Here i only replied to MMM's post in which he describes how to fix the problem, and gave my 2 cents of my adventure :
that in version 6; it seems not to work the way he refers to ( which is an old tutorial on how to connect Protools to Mixbuss).

I'm somebody who does read manuals ( and in my humble opinion the manual of version 6 is lacking a lot regarding this point, the online manual of V6 shows even a print of the Audio/Midi Input box totaly different than the one of version 6).
So in my first thread; i explained all the steps i took with the results; alll by reading and following the manuals of both programs - I am not a 16year old puber, and looking at your picture i would say we are from the same age :-)
So I got a lot of experience working with DAW's ; reading there manuals and find solutions to problems.

Mixbuss 6 however does not match the tutorials or manuals regarding routing audio of other DAW's to Mixbuss.
2. Creating the necessary aux busses or audio tracks to route the cubase outputs: the option in the grid is lacking the "others" where normally the cubase outputs are stated.

And indeed, i am repeating myself again, and respecting your opinion about that, i will stop :-)

many thanks for trying to help me and all the other people on this forum. Best regards

Ok now tell us what you do: and what you see, so we can think with you.

Maybe best is to run Mixbus with jack as the engine, than later with Cubase.

I must say that to me it is simpler to export the stems from Cubase, and than import into mixbus

Have fun

Regards

Frank

are you sure i am not 17 ?

(06-30-2020, 04:51 PM)Frank Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 10:39 AM)Frank Wrote: Connect the mixbus to jack(control) and use the channels as inputs

Thats it

regards

Frank

However in my defence:

So I got a lot of experience working with DAW's ; reading there manuals and find solutions to problems.

I must say that to me it is simpler to export the stems from Cubase, and than import into mixbus

Have fun

Regards

Frank

To connect to jack one has to stop the engine : select Jack as the audio device and start the engine again
Frank W. Kooistra

(06-30-2020, 10:39 AM)Frank Wrote: Connect the mixbus to jack(control) and use the channels as inputs

Thats it

regards

Frank

However in my defence:

Have fun

Regards

Frank

(06-30-2020, 10:49 AM)soniklee Wrote: Hi Frank, thank you for your input.

regards

Frank

However in my defence:

Have fun

Regards

Frank

To connect to jack one has to stop the engine : select Jack as the audio device and start the engine again

Good morning Frank, you are an early bird :-) Thanks for staying with me.
Attached i show some printscreens of the error message i get in mixbuss version 6 when I try to start Mixbuss with the Jack engine:
pic1: stopped the default engine portaudio and selecting Jack
pic2: selecting my UAD soundcard (but the same error stays when i select another device, tried them all) and starting the engine again
pic3: error message : could not reconnect to audio/midi engine
Have a nice day!            
(07-01-2020, 02:26 AM)soniklee Wrote: Good morning Frank, you are an early bird :-) Thanks for staying with me.
Attached i show some printscreens of the error message i get in mixbuss version 6 when I try to start Mixbuss with the Jack engine:

Not Frank and it's nearly 9pm here Smile
One question: Have you tried ASIO4ALL or does your UA device have a "normal" Windows driver? I faintly remember that not all ASIO implementations work with Jack.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths