Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hardware output assignments on mix buses?
Where can I find the output assignments for the mix buses? I see them for channels and the master fader, but I'm brain farting here trying to send my buses to my console. Thanks!!

I'm on the latest, v6
https://mixingtheband.com
Home of The Ear Training Kit™
Audio Connections Manager Sources (LHS) Mixbus32C Busses should have what you want.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
I see that now, thanks! For some reason I remember the buses having the i/o selections in the strip at the top of the bus channels.
https://mixingtheband.com
Home of The Ear Training Kit™
In the (distant) past, all channels had Output buttons at the bottom of the strip.

The problem was: people (understandably) assumed that these output buttons were typical DAW-routing buttons, and that's how you'd get to subgroups and/or the master bus (rather than use the mixbus-assign or master-assign button in the analog emulation).

So now the button is removed but you can access the direct-outs by either right-clicking in a blank part of the channelstrip, and choosing Output, or visiting Audio Connections as Dingo suggests.

Those direct-out ports are really only for feeding an external mixer, or other cases where you need to pick-off the tracks output, outside of the mixbus mixer. They also used (implicitly) by the Stem Export function.

Best,
-Ben
Just as a note - those direct-out ports are absolutely necessary for those of us that mix in a hybrid fashion (porting audio outboard and summing for a print back into the DAW). This is like working with 2-track tape was (and is), and Mixbus lends itself to this workflow beautifully as long as those outs are easily available and easily assignable.

Quite a few of us, I wager, have a decent collection of outboard gear that we know and trust for different sources, etc. Any DAW that would make it hard to utilize those units would be difficult to justify in our case.
(04-07-2020, 12:27 PM)vicenzajay Wrote: Just as a note - those direct-out ports are absolutely necessary for those of us that mix in a hybrid fashion (porting audio outboard and summing for a print back into the DAW). This is like working with 2-track tape was (and is), and Mixbus lends itself to this workflow beautifully as long as those outs are easily available and easily assignable.

Quite a few of us, I wager, have a decent collection of outboard gear that we know and trust for different sources, etc. Any DAW that would make it hard to utilize those units would be difficult to justify in our case.

Vicenzajay, You are right on the money! I wonder how many on this forum run a hybrid system? I worry that MB could become less analog as the version number grows.
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
Don't forget that we make our own analog consoles; I expect there will always be a version of Mixbus that has direct-outs for a console!

Smile
(04-10-2020, 11:45 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Don't forget that we make our own analog consoles; I expect there will always be a version of Mixbus that has direct-outs for a console!

Smile

My kingdom for a Harrison Console!
Thanks Ben, you put my mind at ease.Cool
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes