Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online Jamming
(05-03-2020, 05:43 AM)wango Wrote:
(05-03-2020, 05:34 AM)kzpm Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 12:28 PM)drumkilling Wrote: Due to the actual situation I'm looking for a solution for online jamming with my band mates. Ideally something like a plugin that I can insert into mixbus. The only thing I've found so far is something called "NINJAM" that is bound to Reaper.
Any ideas or hints?
Is it a feasible approach jamming online or is it still not possible due to the latency of the Internet?

Thanks in advance!

I have very good experience with Jamulus. Jamulus works on Linux with Jack-audio and on Windows with ASIO. Both low latency setups.
Jamulus is open-source. You can even design your on server, for private jamming with your fellow bandmembers.

Regards, Kees

Hi Kees (Dutch?)

Interesting! I'm on Mac and before I get into this, how many ms latency
do you call a "low" latency setup?

Best regards
Ab van Goor

Yes Dutch. When buffering in QJackCtl or ASIO is set to 128 frames, latency is often reduced to less then 40ms and a ping time of about 20 -40 ms within 5 minutes.
These latency figures will depend on the location of Jamulus servers, so in our case we need Jamulus servers in The Netherlands, Belgium or Germany.

Regards, Kees
(05-03-2020, 05:52 AM)kzpm Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 12:28 PM)drumkilling Wrote: Due to the actual situation I'm looking for a solution for online jamming with my band mates. Ideally something like a plugin that I can insert into mixbus. The only thing I've found so far is something called "NINJAM" that is bound to Reaper.
Any ideas or hints?
Is it a feasible approach jamming online or is it still not possible due to the latency of the Internet?

Thanks in advance!

I have very good experience with Jamulus. Jamulus works on Linux with Jack-audio and on Windows with ASIO. Both low latency setups.
Jamulus is open-source. You can even design your on server, for private jamming with your fellow bandmembers.

Regards, Kees

Hi Kees (Dutch?)

Best regards
Ab van Goor

Yes Dutch. When buffering in QJackCtl or ASIO is set to 128 frames, latency is often reduced to less then 40ms and a ping time of about 20 -40 ms within 5 minutes.
These latency figures will depend on the location of Jamulus servers, so in our case we need Jamulus servers in The Netherlands, Belgium or Germany.

Regards, Kees

Thanks, I'll check it out

Best regards,
Ab
Any ideas or hints?

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Kees

Hi Kees (Dutch?)

Best regards
Ab van Goor

Yes Dutch. When connecting with my own Jamulus server (located in Almere NL) the latency is lower than 30ms. When I join a jam session in The Netherlands, Germany or Belgium latency is often lower than 40 ms. But you should wait up to 2 or 3 minutes to reach this good latency.
And.. use a wired connection! Wifi will add latency.
You should setup Jack-Audio or Asio with the lowest possible frame buffering. Just try. Mine is 128 frames per period. The period setting for my USB Behringer audio interface is 3.