Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online Jamming
Due to the actual situation I'm looking for a solution for online jamming with my band mates. Ideally something like a plugin that I can insert into mixbus. The only thing I've found so far is something called "NINJAM" that is bound to Reaper.
Any ideas or hints?
Is it a feasible approach jamming online or is it still not possible due to the latency of the Internet?

Thanks in advance!
Una de las mejores opciones hoy es JamKazam, pero no estoy seguro de como intengrarlo com Mixbus
From what I can tell from the Video (not wanting to join another email list) JamKazam is a closed system: the recordings stay on their server and no obvious mention of downloading individual tracks for mixing... all links via their app.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Eso es cierto! Pero quiza una solucion práctica a esto sería que cada uno a su vez tambien grabe en su propia oc lo que está tocando en línea.
OK I see what you mean, use JamKazam as a monitor mix in realtime, but remotely everyone records locally then using time stamp or count in you could build a session from files created in seperate locations....
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(04-10-2020, 03:13 AM)Dingo Wrote: OK I see what you mean, use JamKazam as a monitor mix in realtime, but remotely everyone records locally then using time stamp or count in you could build a session from files created in seperate locations....

Exactamente. Me parece lo mas facil. Por lo menos ese es el modo en que se me ocurre a mi hacerlo con los recursos que conozco.
thanks for your replies. In the meantime I've found nothing really working no soafasession and no jamkazam. Hours of configuration, high latency. Frustrating.
The current state of the Internet Technology, that is available to the general public,
makes this a difficult, if not impossible, undertaking. The issue is in point-to-point
latency. Because no two (remote) points are on the same LAN, communications
between them requires one or more (usually many!) packet routing devices. Each of
these devices adds a time lag (latency) to the delivery of the packets. Apply this
knowledge to online jamming:

If one member of the jam session acts as a broadcast node and sends out a time-code,
metronome or reference mix of a song, then all the other members can receive this
broadcast and play along with it. Note: the drummer might be "hearing" this ref mix
after, say 200ms of network time delay; the guitarist, at 350ms; the bass player, at
1140ms, etc. This is not a problem on the individual end as each participant is in
sync with the ref mix - at their site. However... If each member then transmits their
performance back out to all members, the other members will receive those parts
at different times, as dictated by the network latencies between them and each other member - in a total CF.

However, the session doesn't have to be a total waste of time...
1) Each member can send the - end result - of their performance out to each other
member. Those members can then import those tracks into their favorite DAW
and enjoy the combined result.
2) Or, they can send their end results back to the broadcast node. There, the tracks
can be imported into a DAW, mixed and sent out to all participating members, and
others, to enjoy.

While this is not a real-time jam it does allow remote members to collaborate
during these times of social distancing.

Given the two options, above, I recommend the 2nd option, for the following reason:
Unless the broadcast node includes a computer-based time-clock (SMPTE or other)
along with the ref mix, there is a very real possibility of every participating member's
tracks will "wander" in and out of sync with the other members. It will be a PitA for
the mix engineer at the broadcast node to cut and paste all of the received tracks
into a listenable result... but that is far more desirable than expecting every member
of the jam to do the same thing!!

Cheers!
Patrick
(04-02-2020, 12:28 PM)drumkilling Wrote: Due to the actual situation I'm looking for a solution for online jamming with my band mates. Ideally something like a plugin that I can insert into mixbus. The only thing I've found so far is something called "NINJAM" that is bound to Reaper.
Any ideas or hints?
Is it a feasible approach jamming online or is it still not possible due to the latency of the Internet?

Thanks in advance!

I have very good experience with Jamulus. Jamulus works on Linux with Jack-audio and on Windows with ASIO. Both low latency setups.
Jamulus is open-source. You can even design your on server, for private jamming with your fellow bandmembers.

Regards, Kees
(05-03-2020, 05:34 AM)kzpm Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 12:28 PM)drumkilling Wrote: Due to the actual situation I'm looking for a solution for online jamming with my band mates. Ideally something like a plugin that I can insert into mixbus. The only thing I've found so far is something called "NINJAM" that is bound to Reaper.
Any ideas or hints?

Thanks in advance!

I have very good experience with Jamulus. Jamulus works on Linux with Jack-audio and on Windows with ASIO. Both low latency setups.
Jamulus is open-source. You can even design your on server, for private jamming with your fellow bandmembers.

Regards, Kees

Hi Kees (Dutch?)

Interesting! I'm on Mac and before I get into this, how many ms latency
do you call a "low" latency setup?

Best regards
Ab van Goor