Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recording VSTi (MIDI)
Am I missing something? The only way I can record my VSTi(MIDI instrument) is to first add an Audio track (and the audio track must have audio in it...like an audio file/loop) to the project. Only then can I record my VSTi.
have you checked the steps in the manual?

http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/m...rding-midi
I guess my question was worded poorly. I don't have any issues with recording MIDI. My issue is that I cannot record MIDI (MIDI track) to a project unless that project already has an audio track with audio data in it. Sometimes I begin a project by playing a melody on a VSTi, record that melody, and then build the rest of the song/project around that melody. Mixbus doesn't seem to allow me to begin recording like that. I must first open an audio track...import an audio file to that audio track and only then can I record to MIDI.

(06-02-2019, 12:55 AM)durutti Wrote: have you checked the steps in the manual?

http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/m...rding-midi
That's weird. Can you describe the steps you follow in an empty project. Which version of Mixbus do you use
1) load a new project
2) create 2 midi tracks
3) load Native Instruments Maschine in one midi track
a) Maschine has the drum track/beat I will use for the project
4) load Omnisphere/Kontakt/etc in 2nd Midi track
5) arm 2nd midi track to record
6) goto Transport>record w/count-in...
7) Nothing...

So, to get around this, I create an audio track. I import any audio file to that track. I mute that audio track and voila, I can now record into my midi track. It's like Harrison doesn't recognize the midi track for recording unless there is an accompanying audio track in the project. Please understand that I can PLAY midi/VSTi with NO issues without adding the audio track, I just can't RECORD without adding the audio track.

I use 32c v5
(06-03-2019, 09:44 AM)dovin2 Wrote: 1) load a new project
2) create 2 midi tracks
7) Nothing...

So, to get around this, I create an audio track. I import any audio file to that track. I mute that audio track and voila, I can now record into my midi track. It's like Harrison doesn't recognize the midi track for recording unless there is an accompanying audio track in the project. Please understand that I can PLAY midi/VSTi with NO issues without adding the audio track, I just can't RECORD without adding the audio track.

I use 32c v5
Recording multi in/out VSTi worked in MB3 where there was routing option from the midi instrument to audio tracks.
It would be much needed to bring back this feature. I do not even understand why it was removed.
I hope it is also on the to-be-done list of Harrison's for MB6
Great would be for drum instruments like EZdrummer
Tassy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
That feature still exists in v5. However, I will say it took me a few hours to understand how the routing lined up. From Mixbus perspective, my mono midi instruments are on channels 3, 5, 7, and 9; but from Maschine's perspective, they are on channels 2,3,4 and 5. I banged my head for a few hours until I figured it out.

(06-03-2019, 11:44 AM)Tassy Wrote:
(06-03-2019, 09:44 AM)dovin2 Wrote: 1) load a new project
2) create 2 midi tracks
7) Nothing...

I use 32c v5
Recording multi in/out VSTi worked in MB3 where there was routing option from the midi instrument to audio tracks.
It would be much needed to bring back this feature. I do not even understand why it was removed.
I hope it is also on the to-be-done list of Harrison's for MB6
Great would be for drum instruments like EZdrummer
Tassy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Yes these odd numbers I made a video years ago, but I still cannot route the 16 midi outs to different audio tracks inputs to record.
This feature is not there among the routing grid. Or needs years also for me to find.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWPQ3vF0R5U&t=193s
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
I think, in your video, if you had the midi out from channel 1 go to the left and the midi out for channel 2 go to the right, you will achieve what you are looking for (at least on my, the midi signal main outs go out channels 1 and 2). Copying channel 1 to both left and right is more like dual mono...I think

(06-03-2019, 01:02 PM)Tassy Wrote: Yes these odd numbers I made a video years ago, but I still cannot route the 16 midi outs to different audio tracks inputs to record.
This feature is not there among the routing grid. Or needs years also for me to find.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWPQ3vF0R5U&t=193s
I meant to have all the 8 or any drumkit parts to record to 8 or any audio tracks separately all at once.