Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
win7 versus win10
Just interesting
I worked in win7/64 bit for ages, recently v5 had some crazy things, so I changed for win 10 for a try.
All my issues vanished. 32C5.2 64 bit works fine under win 10.

Now the interesting. I installed the 32 bit V5 and the newly created sessions seem ok, under win10, but opening older win7 sessions in win10 by 32bit V5 this happens:
funny
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jl2lxe5c3ur1aa...0.mp4?dl=0

older 64 bit sessions (win7) open fine in 64bit MB (win10)

seems the 32 bit MB sessions are treated differently by win10 than in win7
Only info for the developers, maybe useful, no complaint
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
Yeah, we were all discussing this a few days ago... it's called DLL Hell !!

As an unrelated issue Tassy - can you get 32-bit graphics out of Windows 10? No matter what I do, Win10 insists on reporting just 8-bit - it's driving me nuts... Sad

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
I do not understand clearly what 32 bit graphics and the picture, but some new things:

I opened in win10 4 years old sessions sure win7 and MB2 both 32bit then.
Interesting: first opened and NO plugins loaded, another open, some plugs appear, seems win10 needs some time, some try to "learn" or find the path what to do. The 4th and on... old sessions open all the plugs there and work. Old 32bit MB2 win7 sessions now work fine on my win10/64 bit platform

I did not want to tell when the very first on win10/64 bit and installed 32C then changing the mixer scale and fonts was crazy, could not memorize the settings came up bigger, half of the mixer view was missing from the monitor etc. After doing the settings and reopening some 4-5 times the scale settings appeared fine and good and work fine ever since.
It also needed some "learning" period. Sounds foolish but now that it happened to MB2 old sessions to appear with all plugs it had did the same I do not think it so foolish any more.

Cannot recall for sure but seems that win7/32 sessions open better in win10/64 than 32 bit sessions from win7/64, if it makes any sense.
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
To see your settings, right-click on the desktop and then choose 'Display settings'. You'll probably see an option saying 'Advanced scaling' but ignore that. Scroll down a bit further and you'll see 'Advanced display settings'. Clicking that option should bring up the dialog I posted.

FWIW 8-bit graphics give only 256 colours whereas 32-bit gives a lot more (a few trillion I think...) 8-bit colours look very old fashioned - like a hark back to the days of DOS and Windows 3 Sad
I have the same behavior in my win10 VM.

It seems it's per channel: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/com...bit_depth/
(04-27-2019, 05:28 AM)johne53 Wrote: To see your settings, right-click on the desktop and then choose 'Display settings'. You'll probably see an option saying 'Advanced scaling' but ignore that. Scroll down a bit further and you'll see 'Advanced display settings'. Clicking that option should bring up the dialog I posted.

FWIW 8-bit graphics give only 256 colours whereas 32-bit gives a lot more (a few trillion I think...) 8-bit colours look very old fashioned - like a hark back to the days of DOS and Windows 3 Sad

Yeah, I found, The most developed Microsoft shit Win10, the same here 8 bit

Another question:
in win10 all plugins and even the opening box of mb appear a lot larger, that is good to see the items better. Also bigger in other daws,
My question is whether plugs should appear of the same bigger size in win7, too and only mine Pc shows smaller plugs on win7?

Thanks guys - I was starting to think it was just me !
Hi Guys, I finished my trip to win10.
This was the last straw:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0s64k2z0108eb...w.mp4?dl=0
So win10 bye bye...

My consequences:

win10/64 bit
FOR:
- treated 32C-5.2 (130) 64 bit well as processing audio,
- scanning waves plugins smoth, no popups for missing bla bla bla...
- open plugins could be moved displayed (show window content) while moving well seen.

AGAINST:
- the letters, characters were a wailed, (maybe due to this 8bit issue as well)
- the whole look (graphics) of the mixer was not as nice as in win7,
- LEDs small,
- place for plugins smaller. (could not be set in the same balanced proportions as in win7)
- win10/64 definitely cannot handle any 32 bit DAWs I have, maybe other 32 bit softwares either I did not test, but cannot handle Mixcraft (has been working great from win3.1 on any dammed win), nor MB not 32C 32 bit versions. 32 bit DAW cannot open, cannot be used at all.

Win7/64 (pro)
FOR:
- can handle all my 64 and 32 bit DAWs,
- all the 32 and 64 bit plugins.
- Characters nice sharp contours.

AGAINST:
- scanning waves plugs it misses a lot times the "genericmulticoreprocessor.dll ..." but patient clicking OKs solves the case
- open plugins scattering, not smooth move even if window content unseen.
- Known issues may appear, but so far not.

So I am now on a brand new US based setup win7/64 pro. Only the keyboard settings I changed later to Hungarian. Win7 installed in Hungarian based setup introduced a lot crazy things you may have read in the past.
As Ben explained they may come from a poor character conversion
(I remember in the age of win3,-95,-98 ..., the Hungarian őőúí etc letters were fully missing, simply forgotten, from windows, and squares, dots and other strange characters were shown instead, so I can imagine that if the characters in a program are "replaced" randomly it sure can cause foolish issues.)

Win10 is forgotten for me
Tassy
Hi Tassy,

You might try using Windows 8.1. You can try it for 90 days by downloading the 'free demo' 8.1 Enterprise version. Using 8.1 Enterprise is a hassle - you have have to buy the OS in bulk from Microsoft, or use a totally wiped drive to re-install 8.1 Enterprise at the end of each 90 day period. The good thing about 8.1 Enterprise is that all the extra junk is already removed. Makes a big difference. I like 8.1 better than 10 after 'pruning' 8.1 to feel like Enterprise 8.1.
(04-28-2019, 04:10 PM)jabney Wrote: Hi Tassy,

You might try using Windows 8.1. You can try it for 90 days by downloading the 'free demo' 8.1 Enterprise version. Using 8.1 Enterprise is a hassle - you have have to buy the OS in bulk from Microsoft, or use a totally wiped drive to re-install 8.1 Enterprise at the end of each 90 day period. The good thing about 8.1 Enterprise is that all the extra junk is already removed. Makes a big difference. I like 8.1 better than 10 after 'pruning' 8.1 to feel like Enterprise 8.1.
Thanks Jabney,
If the present win7 makes some unexpected new tricks on me, 8.1 will be my next try.

Here is an example of a character issue: A Hungarian town home page, all sub pages read well in Hungarian, sure they use full Hungarian Windows installed, but the font they used in their info page looks like that on my US based PC: And the contrary sure possible in any software.
So any character can be confused on different Language character windows I am sure and then the software containing it fails to work normally