Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
win7 versus win10
(05-23-2019, 01:58 AM)johne53 Wrote: apparently, support for Windows 7 will be officially ending in January 2020. Sad

I don't quite get this... that web page says:-

Quote:after support has ended on January 14, 2020, your PC will still work, but it may become more vulnerable to security risks

but I seem to be still getting the security updates... it's only the actual OS updates that have stopped Huh
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
Maybe the final rollup? - https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/mi...d-of-life/
I also read somewhere that MS released an out-of-cycle fix for a new crypto malware but couldn't find it in a quick search. Affects all Windows XP - 8.1 IIRC.
Windows 7 is reported to be used by nearly 25% of Windows users - https://gs.statcounter.com/os-version-ma...812-201912
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

(02-03-2020, 07:53 AM)sunrat Wrote: Maybe the final rollup? - https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/mi...d-of-life/
I also read somewhere that MS released an out-of-cycle fix for a new crypto malware but couldn't find it in a quick search. Affects all Windows XP - 8.1 IIRC.
Windows 7 is reported to be used by nearly 25% of Windows users - https://gs.statcounter.com/os-version-ma...812-201912
I do not think I would need MS "support". Not any so far "updates" made any good compared the one before without them.
Latest 32c works fine with my win7/64.
The problem will come when other producers take side with MS and produce their shit only for win10 like attached

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
(02-03-2020, 10:38 AM)Tassy Wrote: The problem will come when other producers take side with MS and produce their shit only for win10 like attached

This is inevitable, unfortunately, and is what Microsoft rely on. Otherwise we would all still sit on Windows 2000 - the best (and only acceptable) Windows they ever produced. W2k was lean, stable and fast - and was phased out by not adding USB support. It was the only Windows which could have made me using it. Now I'm happy I made the decision for Linux and be free from OS pushing.

MMM
(02-03-2020, 06:33 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 10:38 AM)Tassy Wrote: The problem will come when other producers take side with MS and produce their shit only for win10 like attached

This is inevitable, unfortunately, and is what Microsoft rely on. Otherwise we would all still sit on Windows 2000

C'mon guys, I think you're being a bit unfair to Microsoft here... since as far back as the 1990's Windows has been the only OS to consistently support apps written for an older version. Historically, this was rarely possible with MacOS or Linux. In fact, right up to Windows 8.1 it was still possible to run programs written for Win95.

Admittedly, something does seem to have changed in Windows 10. I have a couple of older apps here. And although they'll still run okay in Win10, they do kinda look a bit strange (wrong colours etc...)
(02-05-2020, 07:51 AM)johne53 Wrote: C'mon guys, I think you're being a bit unfair to Microsoft here... since as far back as the 1990's Windows has been the only OS to consistently support apps written for an older version. Historically, this was rarely possible with MacOS or Linux. In fact, right up to Windows 8.1 it was still possible to run programs written for Win95.

Fully agree for CrApple, but for Linux I believe if I compile an old version of xyz on my current machine it will run. Ok most of them. Plus, I could compile them statically-linked with the old libraries. Plus, I can download any compatible older Linux version and do the static build.
I think we can't compare OSS and closed source here.
Back to Windows: how long again did it take until XP was usable? XP could only establish itself because of the USB issue. With Vista and W8 MS weren't so fortunate. And W10 is an even number, too, and it took them 4 years of massive pressure to establish it and still 25% of Windows users are on 7.
Shouldn't the users ask for new versions and be impatiently waiting to lay their hands on it? Instead of being forced to give up what they are used to and even like?

But nothing is so bad that it can't serve as a bad example Angel

MMM
(02-05-2020, 06:35 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Fully agree for CrApple, but for Linux I believe if I compile an old version of xyz on my current machine it will run. Ok most of them. Plus, I could compile them statically-linked with the old libraries. Plus, I can download any compatible older Linux version and do the static build.

To be honest Max, that's pretty much my point... historically, you could never take an old app and just run it on a different distro (or a even newer version of the same distro) you almost always needed to rebuild it - or in the case of Apple, you'd often need to re-purchase software each time you updated your OS... In fairness to both OS's that's become less of a problem these days but historically that was the case for both of them.

In contrast, that was never the case for Windows. If you updated your WinOS, your old apps would just carry on working.
(02-06-2020, 02:37 AM)johne53 Wrote: In contrast, that was never the case for Windows. If you updated your WinOS, your old apps would just carry on working.

You have a point there, Sir. Smile
MMM
One of the few things that Windows got right !! Big Grin
Yeah, their API roadmapping and backward/foward compatibility is the thing. Im even using a 12+ year old 64bit (vista?) driver for the Frontier Tranzport.

Sorry. Theres been no better OS on that level than Microsoft. And they have plenty of flaws....this justisnt one. As a little personal tech challenge, when i built the new box last year I wanted to see if I could get all the Tomb Raider games running. Answer? Yes. And all but the very oldest is using an Xbox wireless controller and running at full 19x12 resolution(my monitor native). And for those that dont remember, the oldest was written for DOS....and hard coded for a proprietary video accelerator chip. Now that one, I think someone recompiled to use DX is why it mostly runs now....anyway, Ive played it zero hours since setting it up, but that wasnt really the point. I had to rup some audio....make some ISO images to mount for some-and some later ones require the actual DVD be in the drive...i think I had to change some file permissions here or there....but, they all work well in 1903, or whichever I froze my machine at...

Ive used mainly Apple computers and devices for....a long time...decades if you count the 90s where i own zero Windows anything....but, in my studio, ever since Gigastudio, its been a windows machine specifically because of the TOC. I have thousands of dollars in audio software and hardware peripherals....maybe more....I don't so much care about the price of the computer box, as I do that every time I need a new one, I have to rebuy or replace almost all the peripherals and upgrade softwares just to function on the new mac. The long term cost of the Pc is like...a fraction of the cost.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com