Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waves vocal Rider Sidechain
sorry to resurrect this thread, but im trying to figure out if vocal rider is capable of writing to a fader automation line? I cant seem to figure this out and it leads me to believe that it cannot be done.
I believe it can be done - according to a review of the plugin in the Jan 2010 issue of Sound On Sound Magazine-lots of good info in the review about setting up that plugin also-if you go to their website you can look up their back issues-totally worth it!
I was able to automate the plugin itself. But I wondered if vocal rider is able to automate the channel faster or gain automation. Things like that. Couldn’t figure out how to do that. In ableton, I was able to have vocal rider automate the clip gain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm late here, but I'm working on a mix and trying to use dynamic EQ for a task. Waves F6 is simply not reacting to the sidechain setup in MB (I'm using 32c v5). Is this still the case of an inability in Mixbus to work with plugs based on sidechaining ability?
If a plugin has the capability to have a side chain then v5 or v6 MB or 32C can feed that.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Actually no - Tassy is right. If you instantiate Waves F6 on a track, the sidechain pinout for Mixbus won't let you actually assign a pinout to whatever channel you select as a sidechain. (Works perfectly on Reaper, by the way.).

I just took Tassy's advice and used TDR Nova. As he said, and not sure why this is the case, instantiating the plugin generates the screenshot he posted above. Here you can both select the channel to use as the ext. sidechain AND Mixbus generates a pinout to drag to the second "block's" input(s). Works a treat - just can't use the 100s of other plugins (that I own) that can work with sidechaining, though.
(07-08-2020, 12:20 AM)Dingo Wrote: If a plugin has the capability to have a side chain then v5 or v6 MB or 32C can feed that.

I have found some Waves plugs that have outside sidechain option in their GUI but MB does not give the extra pins for that to be used.
I do not have time now but H-EQ, Vocal rider and some more cannot generate the pins. I think it cannot be solved since it is the "problem" of the plugin algorithm.

I will check the waves I guess and report for you to test.
best
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
@Tassy - you are correct. you can add the F6 Dynamic EQ to that list as well. MB does not generate the extra pins necessary to use it as it is designed.

I'm glad that TDR Nova works, but it is highly disappointing that such a mainstream set of products like Waves cannot be used in this fashion within MB.
Please don't hate me for pulling this old topic up again, but I'm going crazy here.

I've read this thread several times, because I'm stubborn and want to make Vocal Rider work with sidechaining. If I understand Tassy correctly, the problem is that there are no "pins" on the waves plug in to accept the side chain. But that does not seem to be the problem I'm running into. I'm wondering if between the time this thread was started now the pin configuration issue was addressed (either by Waves or Harrison)? 

I can establish the connection. I use the drop down box, select bus 12 ( which is band with no vocals) and use that as the sidechain trigger for Vocal rider( which is installed on the vocal bus.)  The problem I run into is that as soon as that sidechain link is established, I get a red feedback warning light at the top center of my screen, and the auto leveling will not work. Vocal rider, without the side chain, works. And connecting the sidechain seems to work as well, I just can't figure out where the feedback loop is coming from.

The set up is this; 8 channels of drums all sent to a drum bus, with the snare also being sent to the reverb bus; one bass channel sent directly to master; three guitar channels, stereo piano, and stereo synth all sent to the band buss; 4 vocal channels all sent to the vocal buss as well as to reverb and delay busses. I insert the vocal rider on the vocal bus. I create a new bus that includes all channels that are not vocals (not taken from the busses, but from the individual channels) and use that bus to side chain Vocal rider on the vocal bus.

Now, somewhere in that set up, there is apparently a loop of some kind that MixBus does not like. I simply can't find it.  Any ideas?

If my problem is actually the same as was being discussed 2 years ago, and I'm just too new to see it, please forgive me.
@Brian Mills, no problem opening an old thread that's what the forum is about...
Sidechain to waves plugins is a mixed bag. In VST3 Vocal Rider Stereo presents as a four in two out plugin.
Whilst it is possible to route a sidechain signal, the UI as we see it does not have a SC enable switch and applying sidechain audio does not seen to do anything.
Strange though that with the H_Comp Stereo applying SC does seem to work despite no SC enable.
Not sure why you are getting loop feedback. Perhaps post a screenshot of your pinouts or set up a simple test session and make sure you have not re-routed signals in the Audio Connections Manager
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5