Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynamic range of your mixes or masters
Is there a easy way no Mixbus to see the dynamic range of my mixes, I’m thinking I should get a plugin but is there any free ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In vst I have, it is TT Dynamic Range Meter there is an offline version as well. I love both.
The new "loudness meters" I consider just confusing poor marketing s...

Trick1: if you set a VU meter like Klangheim to -10 dB and needle hits 0 the DR will be around 10, (if not red in clipping) the traditional VU emulations show it like that but not all are accurate. Maybe I have a video about it on my youtube channel I check when go home and send a link

Trick 2: if the K14 meter on the master hits in the red in the upper regions, the DR is also around 10dB (14 - 4 = 10)
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
There's not a useful way to do it as a real time process. By nature, all it can do is read a MOMENTARY dynamic range. Some of them try to buffer, but you need to use the offline TT tool to get an apples to apples reading.

That said...Mixbus will do loudness analysis of bounced files. Not "the" TT meter...but, newer broadcast standards.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com
(12-06-2018, 05:29 AM)mrskytown11 Wrote: Is there a easy way no Mixbus to see the dynamic range of my mixes, I’m thinking I should get a plugin but is there any free ones.

In Mixbus the analysis done when for instance exporting a stereo track will have the LUFS and LU values for your mix. There's a x42 meter plugin that will display the cumulative values as well, made by Robin Gareus who posts here from time to time (also Mixbus/Ardour developer) that's part of a meter package referenced from the Harrison Mixbus web site.
Does LU stand for DB or is it measured a different way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
New standards are not TT...DR really, but not musical either. Since I measured 0-3 dB as dynamic range on spotify on Bluegrass, I think the new lot diferent standards are just trash. Just another way to worldwide lower all traditional values in everything including music.
That's my opinion, will never change. Maybe bacause I saw and heard "ppp" and "fff" in sheet music for 20 years when playig timpani in 3 symphonic orchestras, so even in disco the "ff-fff" dynamic range is not my standardSmile
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
LUFS is a standard measurement. Loudness Units Full Scale.

The TT DR meter is more meaningful to me because of all my knowledge of what it sounds like and ultimately means from analyzing SO much over so many years. I've never warmed up to LUFS BUT...if you're not familiar with either--and wanting to measure NOW--use the actual standard. Learn what IT sounds like. IMO.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
(12-14-2018, 10:18 PM)JamieLang Wrote: LUFS is a standard measurement. Loudness Units Full Scale.

The TT DR meter is more meaningful to me because of all my knowledge of what it sounds like and ultimately means from analyzing SO much over so many years. I've never warmed up to LUFS BUT...if you're not familiar with either--and wanting to measure NOW--use the actual standard. Learn what IT sounds like. IMO.
Just mixed a song and TT offline meter reasurred me I have not done a very bad job on it. Like Jamie said TT is more meaningful.... and tells exactly how I succeded. Something I can trust.
Tassy

Attached Files
.txt   mix Hold Your finished DR.txt (Size: 481 bytes / Downloads: 19)
A DR9 “mix” has been limited. Theres no solid reason to lookahead a mix thats intended to be final at all. Mixbus will auto normalize during export (and store those settings ina preset)....if you simply need it exported full scale.
I never use normalize. It changes all I have done.