Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynamic range of your mixes or masters
(01-02-2019, 01:55 PM)jonetsu Wrote: There are tales, from a distant past, only told in whispers behind a wall of white noise, about people who used to achieve the same effect as a normalization algorithm but by the sheer power of their audio engineering skills. Fact or fiction ? The legends are all that's left.

*rotfl* Awesome... ^.^

But I guess in the case of peak normalization it's quite a bit easier to hit the desired value (by using a brickwall limiter like in Tassy's example) than in the case of loudness normalization. Wink

So it's the question if, why and to what target you want to normalize to. But no matter what you choose: Normalize only adjusts the overall level and leaves mix, dynamic and loudness ranges intact.

(Though I still think that "dynamic range" is a misnomer for what the TT DR-14 meter does. But maybe more on that later, if I gather enough motivation to write up on that and the difference between it and loudness range meters... - as these measure something completely different.)
Great Jonetsu, I sugest from now on the tales should begin not "Once upon a time beyond the seven seas..." but "Once upon a time behind a wall of white noise...." I love it. Congrats on your sense of humor
best
Tassy

So now that we all agree, I tell why I prefer brickwall to normalize, though they can achive the same (if used with skill as only in legends...Smile
I mix a song say with headroom -6 dB and like how it sounds. Fine!. Then I normalize it in export (peak say -1). fine. But when I listen to the normalized export it is louder and we know that louder cheats us to be better. So it is a bit disturbing for me that what I mixed does not sound the same after this normalized export, though, it is the same only less in volume.
But in my way, mixing it to be -1dB ceiling, I hear the same after export and I am happySmile
But this is top secret! I do not want the old rude king to get to know because he my have me beheadedSad

Another secret I tell after having spent a year in the Tower: I know that TT meter is not doing the same as the other lot loudness meters. But what TT says I know how to understand in the language of misic and that of my ears, I got used to it. So why change for others that I cannot connect unambigously to what I hear . I am simply lazy to learn those new standard numbers.... and to tell the third secret. I do not even careSmile
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,