Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
32 i/o with Presonus FireStudio?
I'm looking for a way to get 32 i/o with Mixbus. Do you think this older firewire interface will work? 32 i/o on ADAT.
(10-03-2018, 12:26 PM)Mixing The Band Wrote: I'm looking for a way to get 32 i/o with Mixbus. Do you think this older firewire interface will work? 32 i/o on ADAT.

Worked like a charm in my old studio. I only switched to the current MOTU for the web control interface (I'm a Linuxer)

MMM
Tha best answer is: Try!
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
Agree with both comments above. I currently use the 2626 with digi FS and spdif for 18 tracks at 88k with no problems. 32 tr at 48k should be fine. As Tassy says try it. If you are having to buy and purchase those units, I would look to put money on newer interfaces.
Win 7-64/Dell Precision Dual Quad 3ghz/20gb-MX v5.3/32C v8.2.170-RME UFX/RME ff800
Thanks! I would have to buy it to try it, so that's why I was asking. Looks like it would work, and it's not a lot of money. I am also looking at the older MOTU PCI424 systems, as all that stuff is a bargain prices now, and they are expandable. I haven't made a decision yet. I appreciate the advice and comments! When you say newer interfaces, which ones do you recommend? I basically want 32 or more i/o, and much of it can be digital.
Is not there a money back guarantee for buying it?
Ask Harrison before buying maybe they have tested this interface
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
(10-04-2018, 03:24 PM)Tassy Wrote: Is not there a money back guarantee for buying it?
Ask Harrison before buying maybe they have tested this interface
These units are old and discontinued, so they are only available on the used market, like ebay. The seller has listed the item as "no returns", so I would say no, there is no money back guarantee. I am asking here to see what other users have experienced with this Lightpipe unit before making the purchase. Obviously you have not used it, and I appreciate the suggestion to see what Harrison has tested. Do you have a link to approved or tested interfaces for Mixbus? Thanks!
My buddy has an older PreSonus StudioLive 32x4x2 Firewire mixer. Although he can record with it using jackd just fine, he has never been able to send from jackd back to the board. His workaround is using a secondary internal analog sound card to send audio back for monitoring, which is awful IMO.
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor 32GB RAM
M-Audio Delta 1010 / Echo AudioFire 12
Mixbus v7.x on Fedora 33 64bit
Good to know, thanks! I am looking at MOTU interfaces with the 424 card too. What is everybody else using for lots of i/o?
(10-04-2018, 12:55 PM)Mixing The Band Wrote: Thanks! I would have to buy it to try it, so that's why I was asking. Looks like it would work, and it's not a lot of money. I am also looking at the older MOTU PCI424 systems, as all that stuff is a bargain prices now, and they are expandable. I haven't made a decision yet. I appreciate the advice and comments! When you say newer interfaces, which ones do you recommend? I basically want 32 or more i/o, and much of it can be digital.

The 2626 worked fine with me, I had 2 of them plus a Behringer ADA8200.
Generally spoken, I would go away from Firewire and especially the Presonus devices are fussy with Firewire cards - so you need to find a compatible PCIe card - which brings me to the next topic: PCI. Everything PCI is cheap because virtually all new consumer mainboards have PCIe only, so that's a thing to steer away from unless you are planning to build a dedicated IO unit with an older board and connect via netjack to the actual DAW machine. If that is all greek to you - steer away from PCI Smile
I once ran an Allen & Heath Qu-32 as an interface: 32x 48kHz over USB and it worked like a charm, too, plus I had latency free CR mix + several headphone mixes with FX conveniently on faders, fantastic workflow. I would have kept it had I not shrunk down my studio to shed size where 8 IO are sufficient. Certainly something to consider for you.

Atm I'm using the MOTU Ultralite AVB with some external Pre-s where needed and if I need more some day it will be expandable via ADAT and vie AVB. Big advantage is the built in web server to control the built in DSP with any device which can run a browser, including personal views for each muso, so you have a personal monitoring system for free included. The interface is the same for all MOTU units, so if you expand you don't have to relearn the software.
(Oh btw remote control was a big plus with the Qu-32, too, iPhone and Android apps for personal monitoring and complete remote control as well)

So, if you don't have Firestudios already, I recommend to buy something more modern, with remote capabilities (think about line checks and gain settings) and expandability.

Cheers,
MMM