Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
32 i/o with Presonus FireStudio?
Excellent, thanks! I do like the QU32, but I am using digital boards already. I really liked the idea of 32 ADAT ports available in my PC, but I have an extra PCI slot (I'm on a 12 core PC), so I'm starting to look at the PCI-424 stuff from MOTU on the used market because all I need is the i/o and it works. I used to use a large setup, but I sold it and have been on Pro Tools HD for the last 8 years. Now that I am using Mixbus more, I want my other i/o back!! :-) I like that it's expandable. I really appreciate the comments, I've steered away from the firewire interface for now.
(10-04-2018, 07:05 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Generally spoken, I would go away from Firewire and especially the Presonus devices are fussy with Firewire cards - so you need to find a compatible PCIe card - which brings me to the next topic: PCI. Everything PCI is cheap because virtually all new consumer mainboards have PCIe only, so that's a thing to steer away from unless you are planning to build a dedicated IO unit with an older board and connect via netjack to the actual DAW machine. If that is all greek to you - steer away from PCI Smile

There are plenty of FW PCIe cards currently available. But you are right, getting the right compatible FW chipset is the magic and that may be very well my friend's issue. I agree, stay away from firewire. It is dated tech and needs to go away. I have an Echo Audiofire 12, which is an awesome interface, except for the fact that it is FW. Is there such a thing as a FW to USB adapter? That would be killer if there is...provided there was no conversion latency.
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor 32GB RAM
M-Audio Delta 1010 / Echo AudioFire 12
Mixbus v7.x on Fedora 33 64bit
Yeah it might become a driver problem with the next Windows version.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
If you want 32 ADAT ports then the RME Digiface USB might be worth a look.
Thanks!!