Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mid/side mixing?
does anyone use mid/side mixing when doing final mixdowns?

like having 2 busses with voxengo msed,one for mid one for side??
(08-22-2014, 10:36 AM)Subbase Dnb Crossbreed Wrote: does anyone use mid/side mixing when doing final mixdowns?

like having 2 busses with voxengo msed,one for mid one for side??

Me personally - I only ever used M/S processing when working as a mastering engineer. It is useful for repairing mix deficiencies when you don't have access to the stems.

For my own mixes - I balance the elements so that M/S processing isn't needed...at least not in the sense that I would use it.

Best,

Tim
Quite agree with Tim. Mixdown never. Just on mastering someone else's stuff, or maybe on stems. I have Voxengo msed and used it only once in a mix when got just a stem track of the drums and it helped to get more present snare sound out of it in the mix.
Also shaped some backing tracks with it when the guy was sticking to what he did on Midi and wanted me to record some other instruments to it live.

On the other hand Voxengo msed does not need two buses, the plug handles both M and S. Except if you want to do further processing on either side.

Just a thought: 100% M and 100% S on two tracks together not sure will sound the same as the original since the plug works on its extremes. Maybe I do test the plug only to learn its quality, but will never use like that.
i produce dark Dnb and dubstep,and havent really mixed or mastered using mid/side,the only mid/side i have used is in some eqs

but is interested in this process especially for learning
when i record instruments with stereo mics (which i do quite often), i use mide/side processing for adjusting the image (if needed) in the mixing stage.
but it's a tricky thing. it is easy to destroy the sound, so you have to listen carefully.
make stereo/mono comparisons to check.
when you have coincident stereosystems, you can't go wrong.
adjusting mid/side levels will never sound bad.
it gets tricky with any kind of spaced stereosystem, where you need to examine if it really helps or you just made a bad micing decision, which can not be edited in that way.

it is also possible to pan the mid or side part of a stereosound/-recording independently, which can give some useful options in mixing.
when recording drums i often use a MS setup as a second set of overheads.
i set up both signals in a subgroup (mixbus) copy the side signal to another channel, pan both side channels to left and right, revert the phase of one channel and adjust the stereoimage with the volume of the midsignal.
Just take a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereophoni...tereophony

If you have harsh sounding cymbals MS with a ribbonmic as sidemic might sound better than two condensers as overheads.
seems you guys dont do electronic music??
Electronic not really. Thanks for posting the link, good knowledge base it is.
(08-23-2014, 05:26 AM)Subbase Dnb Crossbreed Wrote: seems you guys dont do electronic music??

80% are bands or singer/songwriter, but sometimes i record drums or reamp instruments for electronic musicians who also use 'real instruments', like exchampion (you'll find him at spotify). But if you want a big sounding dubstep record, i would be the wrong mixer.
(08-23-2014, 05:26 AM)Subbase Dnb Crossbreed Wrote: seems you guys dont do electronic music??

I do some.

Haven't heard of M/S being used much...but side-chaining seems to be quite popular. There may be some new techniques that I'm not familiar with...

Best,

Tim