Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
32C EQ
Please forgive my "little knowledge"(which is dangerous).

I admit, I've never touched SSL, Neve nor Harrison 32c mixer(desk).
But, according to rumors which are spread like a wild-flower; SSL is considered clean.
So, what I'm guessing is; SSL is for clean-style mixing.

Whereas, Harrison's mixbus32c has "TAPE". And, it is great for "ANALOG WARMTH". [But, WOW, FLUTTER and speed can not be adjustable]

Thus, my understanding is; SSL and mixbus32c is different.

Similarly, SSL has G-Bus(s) compressor. mixbus32c has compressor too. Now the question is; are they similar ?

So, for mixing SSL is advocated(Hyped) by Tutors/Books.

And, as I've said/wrote in my previous section/post; mixbus32c is an alternative for SSL.

Please, I really want to understand and clear my wrong-understanding. Please, help me.

Thanks !
Heart

(03-26-2018, 09:20 AM)superb Wrote: learn to listen (train your ear), and experiment.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I'm trying to learn the art of Hearing. And, I'm improving my room's acoustic treatment too.
I'm developing into LEDE broadcast-standard Listening room.

Well...
One of my ear hears 6k to 9k few dB less. And, Another ear hears lower Hz few dB less.

So, now I've few extra steps to hear.

1) MONO
2) front facing and back facing listening position. (Recently, I finally bought a revolving chair.)
3) Visual confirmation. Lots of Visual metering plugins.
4) I close my ears with fingers, and press spacebar with elbow; I ran outside room. Listen song out-side room.

Please, provide me with tips/tricks.

PLUS :
I've bought an anti-blue computer-glass for Eyes. (Which protects eyes)

Thank you !
Heart
Win 7 x64(Desktop), Win 7 x32(two Laptops) and Win 8 x64(Laptop)

Audio-interface :
  1. Soundcraft analog mixer [USB]
  2. Komplete Audio 6 [USB]
  3. Roland Adirol [USB]

mixbus32c
(03-29-2018, 09:02 PM)BruceGA Wrote: Ian, I was in Memphis in the '70s, and visited a studio that had built a desk from Auditronics schematics. It looked pretty crude, but sounded nice. They didn't have many channels built up...

Bruce
I liked the Auditronics, it had good headroom and the EQ was pretty powerful.
Like a lot of small US manufacturers, they went the way of the Passenger pigeon under pressure from a waning recording industry, cheaper imported goods and DAWs.

(03-30-2018, 01:25 AM)Shailesh Wrote: So, what I'm guessing is; SSL is for clean-style mixing.

Whereas, Harrison's mixbus32c has "TAPE". And, it is great for "ANALOG WARMTH". [But, WOW, FLUTTER and speed can not be adjustable]

Thus, my understanding is; SSL and mixbus32c is different.

Similarly, SSL has G-Bus(s) compressor. mixbus32c has compressor too. Now the question is; are they similar ?

So, for mixing SSL is advocated(Hyped) by Tutors/Books.

And, as I've said/wrote in my previous section/post; mixbus32c is an alternative for SSL.

Please, I really want to understand and clear my wrong-understanding. Please, help me.

Thanks !
Heart
There is no right or wrong, purely a matter of individual taste.
I prefer the EQ and Dynamics in Harrison to those of an SSL, but others will have another opinion.
A truck load of hits came from SSL studios, but many many more came out of studios with consoles like; Quad 8, EMI, Helios, MCI, Trident, Raindirk, API, Auditronics, Harrison, Neve... so so many.
I suspect much of the hype about SSL is just that... hype.
Apart from the musicians and the song, the major variables that make a 'sound' are:
The acoustics of the studio or space you are working in. The choice of microphone and preamp. The acoustics and monitoring system used to record and or mix in.
Then comes the choice of console EQ dynamics etc plus the effect of the recording medium used at the time.

The thing that Mixbus does is bring together the 'console' sound and the 'tape machine' sound, and they do it very simply.
They are also giving you much more of a 'console' experience than a third-party plugin.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Yes, the hype surrounding consoles like SSL is "interesting". Like many, I've never touched or even been in the vicinity of any large format mixing consoles. I've only heard the stories.

Anyway, Kenny Gioia (who has used a lot of these consoles) mentioned on the Reaper forum that he found it kind of funny that people were rushing out to buy SSL channel strip plugins. He said that he and many others always bypassed the eq on these consoles as they all hated it. They used outboard gear instead.

d.
"Come down off the cross, we can use the wood." - Tom Waits
(03-30-2018, 01:49 AM)Dingo Wrote: The thing that Mixbus does is bring together the 'console' sound and the 'tape machine' sound, and they do it very simply.
They are also giving you much more of a 'console' experience than a third-party plugin.

mixbus32c v4 has :
Console sound + Tape sound

Chan strip in each and every faders (selectable Q but not adjustable for EQ)
VCA : VCA and Bus both are awesome.
Monitoring section : it's practical.
multiple band Flat Tip EQ[a very good plugin as a gift]
Expander/Gate [wonderful plugin as a gift]
Meter Bridge[I like it very much] : practical
(Shift+Click) to send left/right [Very much practical]
Visible numbers [very very practical; when knobs are tweaked]
pan-knobs (here and there; Wow!)
and many more functions.

Summary :
mixbus32c is one of the best Analog mixer in software.
Win 7 x64(Desktop), Win 7 x32(two Laptops) and Win 8 x64(Laptop)

Audio-interface :
  1. Soundcraft analog mixer [USB]
  2. Komplete Audio 6 [USB]
  3. Roland Adirol [USB]

mixbus32c