Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mixing techniques: Correcting hearing loss
Our main asset is our ears and hearing capability. Unfortunately many of us have different types of hearing loss for several reasons. I’ve got my first loss from the shooting range and poor quality ear protections when I served in the army. Being a FOH engineer for many years did also add a little more into the equations. As people get older, their hearing is also weakening, so they may need to compensate for the loss.

I hope it is a good idea to share what I have done to fix this, not back to 100% hearing, but to a extent that I still can do a good job for my clients and have fun mixing music. It’s not a very scientific solution, but it works ok. So here is the way I used to correct two types of hearing problems, first hearing loss in some frequencies:

• From the use of guns in the army, I got a reduction at some frequencies around 3-4 Khz. To compensate this I used a pink noise plugin and a very accurate 10 bands EQ with a good Q control and where I could select frequencies to my need.
  • I needed to control left and right ears separately. I don’t have a dual mono EQ with separate controls for the left and the right, so I chained two EQ’s and used pin out/pin in to be able to control each side independently on the two EQ’s.
  • Then I went through the whole frequency spectrum listen to the pink noise by using a pre EQ that only pass a very small portion of frequencies(see second picture). The goal was to make the balance left/right and the sound level the same all the way. This gave me two EQ’s with slightly different settings that compensate the loss in left and right ear.

So far, so good. The problem though, is that over time a hearing loss often develop into a problem called “recruitment”. This is when you still hear the frequencies, but the damage start to increase the frequencies adjacent to the area where the hearing loss is. This make a “loudness” effect and you start to hear distortion in this frequencies. No need for a tube screamer pedal ;-)

To compensate for “recruitment” I did this:

• Two new EQ’s chained and pinned after the two previous ones. This time I only listen to music that made “recruitment” very audible and then identified the troubling frequencies. It’s not a bomb that they are in the same range and around the hearing loss area
  • When they are identified, it’s just a job with the EQ to mask only the distorted portion of the sound. Since “recruitment” is “loudness” the reduction in this frequencies should leave you with a relative flat frequency hearing without distortion.

In Mixbus and Mixbus32C I’ve used the monitor section and inserted the EQ’s into the “Processors”. I use a Zoom L12(14 ch. in, 4 ch. out) as a audio interface and it have 4 outputs that I can mix as I like into the 5 separate monitor mixes on the L12. For my hearing I use the two outputs from the monitor section that now are made to comply to my ears. Then I connect the master out directly to the two other outputs so I can use these for other people that needs monitoring without corrections.

See attached pictures.

The first it's an sample of the EQ's settings. I'm a left hand shooter so the hearing loss is bigger on the left ear as you can see. To have control and separate adjustment of hearing loss and the "recruitment", I've used four EQ's instead of two.

The second picture is the setup for the channel that I used for pink noise and the pre EQ setup used to feed the EQ's for balancing left/right ear and the level. Using the mouse wheel on the freq on the pre EQ will move what you hear up and down the freq spectrum. Adjustments are made in the left/right EQs in the monitor sections "processors" until everything is in balance.

Hope this can help others that experience the same type of problems. Happy mixing :-)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
(02-26-2018, 11:25 AM)Sthauge Wrote: Hope this can help others that experience the same type of problems.

Wow yes thanks! Same problem here, also from shooting and hammering on metal in an ocean shipyard. Similar idea for compensating, however you wrote a walk-through, saving me time. Thanks again.

MMM
Very good explanation and thanks for posting it.
Thanks very much Sthauge for sharing an insight into correcting hearing loss.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Good to hear that it can help some out. I've updated the OP with some more details as well.

If anybody have other takes on this type of problems, please feel free to add/share information. :-)

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
Great info! I never thought of compensating for my earing loss. I will investigate this. Thanks.

How does one determine the shape, eq wise, of ones hearing?
(02-27-2018, 08:42 AM)Black Jacque Shellac Wrote: Great info! I never thought of compensating for my earing loss. I will investigate this. Thanks.

How does one determine the shape, eq wise, of ones hearing?

I've updated the OP with some more info and a new picture that hopefully answer your question on how to do this.

+1 more. Thanks so much for this.
I’ve done something similar with my headphones. It’s a fascinating thing to listen to a swept sine wave from 20hz to 20khz. It will pan back and forth where you have issues. The only thing I did differently, was to always cut in the opposite ear to match the one with loss. I figure it’s better to miss a little bit in both ears, than to try and boost it in one, and take a chance at furthering the issue. But I was using in ears and try to be very aware of how loud they are. I.e. try to keep them as quiet as possible.

Now that I’ve been able to go back to proper monitors, I just mix in mono a lot. And have a plug in set up on the monitor buss that flips the left and right channels. Between those two things I’m fairly confident in my mix.
I also have some hearing loss from decades a live sound engineering. I've considered adjusting eq for monitors but have several reservations. Firstly you can never perfectly compensate hearing loss with eq, and secondly it would sound wrong to someone else listening. If it works for you though, go for it!
I prefer to play a reference track before the session and occasionally during to get an idea what I should be hearing. Often something with excellent production such as Black Cow from Steely Dan's Aja album. Even engineers with good hearing will do this.