Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Techniques: MixBus Compressor for Smoothing Bass
Hey all,

I've got a mix with an electric bass part that's way too dynamic, and I've been wrestling with it to get it the way I like. When I mixed this in Studio One, the stock limiter does really good by totally squashing the low end really hard. I liked the results alot. It's really even and I don't hear any artifacts at all from that limiter, even completely crushing it the lows. In MixBus, I could not push the limiter that hard without artifacts. Same for KClip and L1 limiters.

I really wanted to use the onboard 32C console tools as a solution for this. I usually reach for leveler mode first, but this needed more, so I used compressor mode, pushing up the ratio and smashed the lows pretty hard...GR just past halfway down the meter for the loudest parts. I'm also applying the "bump" technique https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM8XSfaGJuw

I'm really happy with what I'm hearing now. It's really smoothed out and warm with no artifacts I can hear. I'd like to see if that's an approach you all use for bass with the 32C controls, or if there is a better approach.

EDIT: I tried the level with the same amount of GR and it's doing well too. Totally like what I'm hearing.

Thanks,

Donny
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
Honestly I used to only use the leveler. Mostly because it was the default and super transparent. At least to me. I’ve just now started using the comp mode more. I’ve found I tend to use lower ratios with it. But sounds really good anywhere and can really squish the signal. The only time I’ve used the limiter mode is on drums. Just to catch those few extra loud hits that just barely cause the clip light to light up.
I'll have to experiment with compressor mode on a lower ratio this evening. I'm very happy though that I'm getting the smoothing out that I want with just the console tools.
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
Lately I would not make a single compressor work out so much. Instead I'd use two levels of compression, perhaps in this case the XT-LC (or Presswerk, or SSL - this is Linux, not that many choices) and the Mixbus32C onboard compressor, each doing a little part in bringing the smoothness. I find using multiple compressors of various kinds smooths out better, perhaps more sensibly, than having a single one doing all the work, especially when there's a substantial amount to be done. In cases of only doing a light compression this isn't needed. In all cases I find that a subtractive EQ before going into any compressor helps and cleans the compressor's work.
Excellent point on the subtractive EQ prior to dynamics. This very topic came up on another forum I'm on, and they suggested multiband compression, for different treatment of different frequencies. I'll be experimenting with this tonight.

Donny
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
Techniques: MixBus Compressor for Smoothing Bass

Where is the Technique ?
Did I missed link or page ?
Win 7 x64(Desktop), Win 7 x32(two Laptops) and Win 8 x64(Laptop)

Audio-interface :
  1. Soundcraft analog mixer [USB]
  2. Komplete Audio 6 [USB]
  3. Roland Adirol [USB]

mixbus32c
(03-15-2018, 01:23 PM)Shailesh Wrote: Where is the Technique ?

Well, there's a link in Don's first post of this thread.
(03-15-2018, 04:57 PM)jonetsu Wrote:
(03-15-2018, 01:23 PM)Shailesh Wrote: Where is the Technique ?

Well, there's a link in Don's first post of this thread.

Thank you !
Win 7 x64(Desktop), Win 7 x32(two Laptops) and Win 8 x64(Laptop)

Audio-interface :
  1. Soundcraft analog mixer [USB]
  2. Komplete Audio 6 [USB]
  3. Roland Adirol [USB]

mixbus32c