Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The XT-SC Spectral Compressor - Excellent!
(05-04-2017, 04:14 PM)Jostein Wrote: I just found out that the XT-SC compressor works incredible well on a double bass that's sounding deep muddy, with ambience and very dead thanks to a bad recording!

I'm currently mixing and partially mastering a whole bluegrass album where the bass sounds as described above. I've tried all sorts of EQing, compressing, limiting and processing, including the XT-BC Bass Character and also non Harrison pluguns, such as u-he Presswerk and Calf Bass Enhancer (which is quite good for this kind of job).

I suddenly got the idea to try the XT-SC compressor and BANG, the bass fit into the mix!

Whell, I go to sleep now and continue tomorrow, good night! :-)

Hi Jostein
I agree, I found XT-SC also a fine plugin, but looking at the picture you posted I may call your attention that all the bands are -6dB compressed by default. So not only the one you really set lower.
I almost fell into not observing it first since its original XT-SC default was all bands zero as default, so had got used to adjust the band I want and leave the others alone.
I really do not understand why Harrison changed it for all -6dB default in the new release. I hope it must have been only by accident and will be corrected soon.

To avoid getting half the volume (-6dB) on the whole range in view by just inserting the plug I saved my personal default set all zero to fit normal sense. I always start from there.
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
Hi Tassy!

(01-22-2020, 01:27 PM)Tassy Wrote: Hi Jostein
I agree, I found XT-SC also a fine plugin, but looking at the picture you posted I may call your attention that all the bands are -6dB compressed by default. So not only the one you really set lower.
I almost fell into not observing it first since its original XT-SC default was all bands zero as default, so had got used to adjust the band I want and leave the others alone.
I really do not understand why Harrison changed it for all -6dB default in the new release. I hope it must have been only by accident and will be corrected soon.

To avoid getting half the volume (-6dB) on the whole range in view by just inserting the plug I saved my personal default set all zero to fit normal sense. I always start from there.
Tassy

The zero defaults also make sense but don't the default -6dB also make sense if the meaning is to have everything a little compressed by default? I believe that the -6 dB also was the default when I did the OP, but I might be wrong. However, I will keep my eyes and ears open over this next time I use it.

Thanks!
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
(01-22-2020, 04:19 PM)Jostein Wrote: Hi Tassy!

(01-22-2020, 01:27 PM)Tassy Wrote: Hi Jostein

Tassy

The zero defaults also make sense but don't the default -6dB also make sense if the meaning is to have everything a little compressed by default? I believe that the -6 dB also was the default when I did the OP, but I might be wrong. However, I will keep my eyes and ears open over this next time I use it.

Thanks!
The original XT-SC cannot be seen in new MB versions because it is overwritten by the new one. I can show because I have a picture from 2016. XT-SC looked like that in that time MB version
Default 0, just info I based my notice on. Just info.
Tassy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
So...Does anyone know of a hardware multi-freq compressor that can do what the XT-SC does for live sound in a club?

It's the usual problem that I need to solve--the lead vocal and harmonies get lost in the din. It would be great to have a hardware equivalent for the XT-SC.
(01-23-2020, 11:45 PM)Jake Johnson Wrote: So...Does anyone know of a hardware multi-freq compressor that can do what the XT-SC does for live sound in a club?

It's the usual problem that I need to solve--the lead vocal and harmonies get lost in the din. It would be great to have a hardware equivalent for the XT-SC.

The Google search: "hardware multi-band compressor" shows up a ton of them, but they are very expensive. This is what I do:

I do occasionally mix clubs and other venues for an artist where backing tracks (in mono) are played from Mixbus32C and the vocals go live. We almost always bring a mixer with us and gives the FOH one XLR and we take care of the monitoring. For this setup, I normally use inexpensive mixers from Behringer or Mackie that have one knob compressors and that's more than sufficient for us. I also use the computer for reverberation (U-he's Uhbik-A) and we always receive nice words for great sound when this artist is on stage, maybe we wouldn't if they knew how we are doing it.

In the last gig, I used a Mackie 802-VLZ3 and I connected a Marshall ED-1 guitar compressor on the Mic insert point, it worked very well!

The Mackie 802-VLZ3 is less than ideal for this stuff, but thanks to the AUX-sends, patching insert points halfway down (splitting signal), I managed to give the artist his own monitoring (own version of the backing track and his voice) and give the audience their part, but this was a quite extreme situation.

If you have a good laptop and the latency is short enough, you might be able to route the vocals through it and the XT-SC?
I see many of you using Linux, cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(01-24-2020, 10:09 AM)mrskytown11 Wrote: I see many of you using Linux, cool!

It's probably many in numbers but maybe not so in percentage, but we are loud! :-)
Ya, anytime I see calf plugins mentioned I get inspired lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(01-23-2020, 11:45 PM)Jake Johnson Wrote: So...Does anyone know of a hardware multi-freq compressor that can do what the XT-SC does for live sound in a club?

There's the Drawmer DL251 Spectral compressor:

https://www.drawmer.com/products/pro-series/dl251.php

Around $1000.
Thanks, folks. Seems as though I have some research to do. I was surprised to find so few of the usual hardware solutions--rack units--and several of the doubtless inferior but perhaps interesting guitar pedal units that offer separate control over the three frequency ranges.

Too bad Harrison doesn't make rack units...