Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tom tracks an cymbal bleed
What technique do you use if the gate of tom tracks and the cymbal leak cause a problem before the gate closes. Is there any other sensible way than to use a trigger?
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

I can recommend:
- Harrison's Tomgate
- Separate the tom hits from the bleed by cutting the region where the tom hit is and drag just the hits to another track or just mute the regions between hits (best for triggering)
- Or, my old video deals a bit with what to consider when treating toms and cymbals and their bleed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_61DRj3w...e=youtu.be
(the postfader remark in the video regarded the MB2 version, from MB3 on and now it is prefader)
best
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
+1 for XT-TG, it's a little bit of magic for cleaning up tom tracks.
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

I also discovered Wilkinson Audio's 'debleeder' ($30) recently. This is a plugin forged with pure magic and far better than anything else I've come across. It somehow gates the cymbal bleed without compromising the drum sound in a way that even Harrison's drum gates or Izotopes don't match. Well worth looking at imo.
Wood

i9-9900k CPU, 32Gb RAM, Nvidia 2070 Super GPU, RME Babyface Pro Interface, W10 Pro
(01-14-2020, 08:34 AM)Wood Wrote: I also discovered Wilkinson Audio's 'debleeder' ($30) recently. This is a plugin forged with pure magic and far better than anything else I've come across. It somehow gates the cymbal bleed without compromising the drum sound in a way that even Harrison's drum gates or Izotopes don't match. Well worth looking at imo.

This is good news. I have to test this plugin.
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

I just let it rip & don't worry about it.
Byron Dickens.

Mixbus 7. CbB.  HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.
There’s several ways to go about this. I probably use Harrison’s xt-tg tom gate the most. Another trick I’ve used is with their XT-DC drum character plug. With it you can set it to detect the transients. And then shape the first part of the hit, and then the decay. I’ll set the decay to remove the highs. And I also have debleeder. I’ve never tried it on toms. It does seem to work when I can’t quite get XT-TG to work like I want. It’s just more time consuming to set up. But the results are normally worth it. I also have slates bundle with their new gate. It has a drum mode. It’s not quite as quick and easy as xt-tg, and the results aren’t normally any better. Although it can do the eq thing kind of like xt-dc. So it has its place.
Oh, the other method I use with Toms, which is infinitely flexible, is to simply edit the wav file and create your own thresholds. For toms that are only going to play fairly occasionally I've found this is sometimes the most effective way. Very clean, and not affected by anything else in the signal chain (including gain staging) that might otherwise impact the gate. This would be silly on a snare track, but worth considering if having trouble with Toms.
Wood

i9-9900k CPU, 32Gb RAM, Nvidia 2070 Super GPU, RME Babyface Pro Interface, W10 Pro