Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Give us back "Bounce region with processing"
(04-16-2019, 10:47 PM)Pro-Doucher Wrote: For sound design I like the ability to render plugins into regions and utilize freeze for processing heavy tracks. It’s a shame that Harrison is behind on these essential features. Emulating console workflow is the main appeal of mixbus but it is still a digital audio workstation.

<rant>
Easy: find some people who also think it's a "shame" and then you bunch can pay for an extra developer who's sole job is to create, implement and maintain this feature.
I don't need it, many others don't need it, it's not top priority, obviously. I find you today a good number of people who don't need virtual instruments and MIDI recording/editing at all.
You are totally free to sync any sequencer with Mixbus and do the MIDI stuff there and route these channels through Mixbus.
I just hate it when someone points a finger and screams "shame" on hardworking developers who undoubtedly do an amazing job here.
</rant>
MMM
(04-21-2019, 06:23 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: <rant>
Easy: find some people who also think it's a "shame" and then you bunch can pay for an extra developer who's sole job is to create, implement and maintain this feature.
I don't need it, many others don't need it, it's not top priority, obviously. I find you today a good number of people who don't need virtual instruments and MIDI recording/editing at all.
You are totally free to sync any sequencer with Mixbus and do the MIDI stuff there and route these channels through Mixbus.
I just hate it when someone points a finger and screams "shame" on hardworking developers who undoubtedly do an amazing job here.
</rant>
MMM

Couldn't have put it better.

But to be helpful, here's a video to explain the details: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJKSImri0vA
Usually doing live sound …
(04-21-2019, 06:23 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(04-16-2019, 10:47 PM)Pro-Doucher Wrote: For sound design I like the ability to render plugins into regions and utilize freeze for processing heavy tracks. It’s a shame that Harrison is behind on these essential features. Emulating console workflow is the main appeal of mixbus but it is still a digital audio workstation.

<rant>
</rant>
MMM

Perhaps I was venting some frustration and didn’t choose my words correctly. I have the utmost respect for the developers at Harrison and everyone involved in making this software and they really do go above and beyond what most larger developers do. I really want mixbus to be the best mixing/ recording out there and it is my favorite out of all of them. I’m just not a fan of sacrificing the speed of modern software to essentially do old school reduction mixing in real time.

One day I hope to use mixbus pretty much exclusively but I’m not quite there yet. Almost.
New features that may do our job easier are always welcomed.
A "Freeze" function could be very useful in order to free up resources in case some people (including myself) are using heavy for the cpu plugins.
Windows 10, Harrison Mixbus 10 Pro, UAD 2 octo, http://www.youtube.com/user/NikosPitloglou/videos
(04-21-2019, 10:23 PM)Pro-Doucher Wrote: One day I hope to use mixbus pretty much exclusively but I’m not quite there yet. Almost.

(04-23-2019, 03:32 AM)Arionas Wrote: New features that may do our job easier are always welcomed.
A "Freeze" function could be very useful in order to free up resources in case some people (including myself) are using heavy for the cpu plugins.

Never said it won't help those who want to use it and I'm sure if it's technically possible it will be done. Maybe after the big leap with universal time as of course latency is one factor for this feature, too.
But also, with a 24 core i10 with integrated DSP @ 10 GHz and a terabyte DDR6 RAM @ 2GHz this is not an issue anymore Big Grin

MMM
(04-24-2019, 12:12 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(04-21-2019, 10:23 PM)Pro-Doucher Wrote: One day I hope to use mixbus pretty much exclusively but I’m not quite there yet. Almost.

(04-23-2019, 03:32 AM)Arionas Wrote: New features that may do our job easier are always welcomed.

Never said it won't help those who want to use it and I'm sure if it's technically possible it will be done. Maybe after the big leap with universal time as of course latency is one factor for this feature, too.
But also, with a 24 core i10 with integrated DSP @ 10 GHz and a terabyte DDR6 RAM @ 2GHz this is not an issue anymore Big Grin

MMM
And where I will find the money to build a 24core i10 when it comes out? hehe... And even worst... I'm on a Mac Pro model of 2010. Quite old.
If I want (as I'm thinking) to stay on Mac OS, a good unit will be the next mac pro but I consider it will cost over $10.000 (with cpu, ram, bla bla specifications useful for my workflow).
So FREEZE will be a good friend and it will make me avoid to rob a bank Big Grin
Windows 10, Harrison Mixbus 10 Pro, UAD 2 octo, http://www.youtube.com/user/NikosPitloglou/videos
(04-24-2019, 03:54 AM)Arionas Wrote: So FREEZE will be a good friend and it will make me avoid to rob a bank Big Grin

Just steal a second machine somewhere and "outsource" some of your synths... in another thread I described how to route 50+ channels through Jack over network.

MMM
Resurrecting this for a minute -
I'd pay $$ for even a half-baked freeze button that only froze pre-channel strip.
Freeze -> offline render -> new region top layer w/ x preroll and y tail -> bypass plugins.
Unfreeze -> delete frozen region -> unbypass plugins

5-25x/day. No complaints about the discipline of only freezing pre-channel strip, minding trim, etc., etc.

As it stands, I use something like Tassy. My template has a "Bounce" track. Always empty. When I want to freeze a track, I arm "Bounce" and set its input to the track I want to freeze. I was on the export/import train for a while but this is less distracting. To me at least.

Problems:
-realtime only. Xrun roulette on a light-duty/travel computer.
-lots of clicks. Delete/bypass plugins. Drag new region into old track. Reset channel strip. Slide region manually b/c of latency. Can be 20-40 clicks.
-destructive if I delete plugins / reset channel strip. Which I just go ahead and do. But screw it. There's still no freeze function.

For what it's worth, the only reason I'm saying this stuff is because, as others have pointed out, the Harrison team actually cares. NOT A RANT. Just another humble request from a mixer that feels like a DAW maker finally gets me.
(02-04-2021, 03:48 PM)Flagfoot Wrote: Problems:
-realtime only. Xrun roulette on a light-duty/travel computer.
-lots of clicks. Delete/bypass plugins. Drag new region into old track. Reset channel strip. Slide region manually b/c of latency. Can be 20-40 clicks.
-destructive if I delete plugins / reset channel strip. Which I just go ahead and do. But screw it. There's still no freeze function.

For what it's worth, the only reason I'm saying this stuff is because, as others have pointed out, the Harrison team actually cares. NOT A RANT. Just another humble request from a mixer that feels like a DAW maker finally gets me.

All valid points.

Perhaps you could find a Lua developer for this feature request in this subforum here
Windows 7 x64 SP1
Mixbus 32C 7.1.92