Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Give us back "Bounce region with processing"
Can we get the "Bounce region with processing" feature back?

Previously when we had that feature, drum replacement was easy and fast because we could easily do an offline render of the audio.
Also, rendering tracks to save processing power was easy and fast as well.

However, since the feature was removed you have the option of either:
A: setting up new tracks to record arm and do an online record, which takes precious time we don't have (time is money!)
OR
B: resorting to an external software to bounce out drum samples ahead of time, making decision changes costly and overly time consuming (again, TIME IS MONEY)

So could we please get this back?
back? When was this ever available in Mixbus?
I am still on MB 3.x (waiting for the 32C upgrade to be available), and there is only 'bounce without processing' option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-- Brett McCoy
Windows 10, i7 core, 64G Ram, RME Hammerfall Multiface II, Faderport16, Mixbus32C 8.2
Since the Mixbus engine is "always live" (like a real mixing desk), bouncing regions with processing is not really feasible.

I suppose an option to apply plugins until the first Mixbus processor on a strip (pre EQ, pre compressor) would be something that could be added.

PS. Ardour has "bounce with processing" which does just that, but Ardour has no channelstrip emulation.
Tongue 
(04-13-2017, 11:14 AM)x42 Wrote: Since the Mixbus engine is "always live" (like a real mixing desk), bouncing regions with processing is not really feasible.

I suppose an option to apply plugins until the first Mixbus processor on a strip (pre EQ, pre compressor) would be something that could be added.

PS. Ardour has "bounce with processing" which does just that, but Ardour has no channelstrip emulation.

I'm glad to have read this... I understand now the challenge of what you're saying. It may be difficult to achieve, but if you guys were able to implement this type feature... it would be awesome! I love Harrison (Plugged-in Member hereWink) But I promise, I'd love you even more hahah

Awhile back, I created a thread (see below) where I was writing about the issue with region export and delay compensation. My primary need for some kind of region bounce/export is all about CPU with large sessions. If there were a way to simply highlight a region(s) and click a button which would render only inserted plugins (not the mixer emulation) and place the new file within the session, it would be truly useful. Surely everyone could benefit from this!? Please forgive if I'm overlooking something.

I have a fast Mac, but since I regularly mix at 96K, I need a way to process a few tracks quickly. Not to make any comparison... but the way Logic performs this is nice... it places the new track in the arrange window and also mutes the plugins plus the original track(s).

Anyway, I'm excited about the upcoming release of the new 32C version! Let us know if there could be a way to implement this feature. As it is now, it seems I need to render some tracks in separate software first, which is a little cumbersome.

http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...-2921.html

Best,

-SD
(04-14-2017, 02:46 AM)sonicdefault Wrote: ....Surely everyone could benefit from this!? Please forgive if I'm overlooking something.

You're overlooking the completely flexible "signal flow" in Mixbus's channels.

You can reorder the instruments, plugins, and fader in any order. For example you could put the fader "before" the instrument, which would scale the MIDI notes going into the instrument ( because of velocity-switching, this results in a different sound than just bringing the audio fader down). So in that situation, you can't "freeze" the instrument in-place because the user could adjust the fader anytime (or even automate it), and the instrument needs to be active so it can respond.

Luckily computers are getting quite fast, and you can usually run several virtual instruments in your session. And this will only get easier.

If you are hitting the limits of your system, then it is possible to manually "bounce" the track (with all of the channelstrip instruments, fader, plugins, EQ & compressor settings) to a new track. Then disable the old track so it no longer uses cpu/disk resources.

It wouldn't be terribly hard to add a button that does those steps automatically (like Logic does). This has been on our ToDo list for a long time.

You might ask: Why hasn't it gotten done yet? We have a design philosophy that we try to follow:

* If you do something hundreds of times in a day (like adjusting a fader level) then it should be immediately accessible in the GUI, and/or accessible in a shortcut.

* If you do something tens of times in a day ( like renaming a track ) then it should be immediately accessible, but it's OK if it takes 2 or 3 clicks.

* If you do something only a few times per day ( like freezing/bouncing a track ) then it is OK if it takes a few steps.

Of course one could argue the details of these priorities. And we don't always follow our own rules, anyway.

But that might help to explain why we assign different priorities to some features, when compared to other DAWs.

Best,
-Ben
(04-14-2017, 09:34 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote:
(04-14-2017, 02:46 AM)sonicdefault Wrote: ....Surely everyone could benefit from this!? Please forgive if I'm overlooking something.

You're overlooking the completely flexible "signal flow" in Mixbus's channels.

Best,
-Ben

Hi Ben! Thanks for the response, but I may have been too ambiguous. It was late, and when I read your response I questioned if had had posted in a wrong thread or misread the OP!

To be clear, I don't use any MIDI instruments in MB. I'm talking about bouncing inserted plugins for individual Audio tracks, and creating a new file while leaving the original in the project. I'm running some rather intensive processors/effect chains at times, and would find it beneficial if there were a way to render them and have the resultant file placed onto the same channel (or at least within the session so I can add it manually). It's important to understand, I'm not mixing basic stuff. Much of what I do is already prepped with hardware, FX etc. Nonetheless, it's very complex sessions which require me having the freedom to use lots of plugs.

For example... say I have percussion on a channel and want to use some 3rd party EQ and High-end reverb... it would be nice to render the effect and move on without it bogging down the session. I have a powerful Dual-Quad Mac, and even with streamlined sessions, adding a few processor intensive plugs can affect my workflow.

I referred to my original thread (which was long ago) in the post above. It was about Exporting and PDC. I thought exporting was exactly what I would use to achieve this which was fine. But then I noticed the delay compensation was an issue. The only reason I brought up rendering plugins on individual tracks without the Harrison emulation, is because I thought that was what x42 was indicating is the challenge. Perhaps I misunderstood.

Recently, I had read some comments which seemed to indicate there was indeed an issue with the Export feature regarding PDC. I've been trying to move towards eventually mixing everything within 32C, so I admit I'm not fully acclimated to the entire MB feature set. This is why I apologized in case there is an existing feature to render 3rd party plugins and it be correctly time compensated.

Sorry for the long post... hope it made sense- been up all night.

Best,

SD
@sonicdefault:

You can certainly "render" a 3rd party EQ and high-end reverb to a new track, disable the old track, and thereby decrease your CPU load. It's not a one-click operation, but it's not very many, either ( solo the track -> export (non-realtime) -> import resulting file as new track -> disable original track ) .... perhaps 6 clicks, if you learn some shortcuts.

Regarding PDC, there aren't any known "issues" with PDC when exporting, except for the limitation that we don't support 'stem' exporting the mixbuses in v4.0. You have to use regular export fro those. ( we'll re-add stem-exporting of mixbuses in a future version )

-Ben
(04-17-2017, 10:31 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @sonicdefault:

You can certainly "render" a 3rd party EQ and high-end reverb ...

-Ben

Ben thanks again. I'm going to try that! I would have resolved the matter long ago or written support if I had been working primarily in MB. But now is the time when I'm about to make the switch. I've had a lot of trust in Harrison and kinda letting MB develop as I finished a few things. Needless to say, I'm excited with the upcoming 32c release. I know I'm going to enjoy working more with it because the limited things I've done have sounded great. All the best to you.

Warm regards,
-SD
(04-17-2017, 10:31 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: You can certainly "render" a 3rd party EQ and high-end reverb to a new track, disable the old track, and thereby decrease your CPU load. It's not a one-click operation, but it's not very many, either ( solo the track -> export (non-realtime) -> import resulting file as new track -> disable original track ) .... perhaps 6 clicks, if you learn some shortcuts.

That screams for a script Smile
MMM