Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I did the 32C trial and..
Is there a way for the numeric value of the EQ to show in gui while adjusting the knobs like Mixbus?
Loving MB4, but undecided on upgrading to 32C in May.
Anyone?
This topic has been covered a fair bit...

http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...-3983.html
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(03-13-2017, 09:38 PM)Dingo Wrote: This topic has been covered a fair bit...

http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...-3983.html

hmmm. Thanks. disappointing though.
Workaround :
I duplicate the track, and can drag'n'drop 'back' the EQ…then use undo
Best

Klaus
Macmini core2duo / i7
OS 10.10-10.13
http://www.redmountain.ch/X32CoreFOHandBandclient.jpg
(03-13-2017, 09:33 PM)clintmartin Wrote: Anyone?

Unpatient? :-)

Are you thinking about the frequency/volume that's changed or the actual knob value?

Thinking analogue, I thing that the knob value will be an approximately value and the actual frequency will be nearly impossible. If they modeled it down to the smallest component, then every knob will have an impact to the other knobs (or should in various degrees).

Despite of this, I believe this is somewhere in Ben's ToDo list, if I recall it right. But If they do it, I really hope they will have a function to turn it off. It happens way to often that the eyes decide what to do and not the ears.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
Both. I would like to see the values. I can't think of a negative to being able to see what you're doing.
Being able to turn that feature on or off seems like a good idea.
Well, there are values associated to each 32C EQ pot obviously. You can easily see them in automation. But, they do not reflect the scale shown in the GUI. They are linear from 0.0007 to 1.000 whereas the GUI (and the actual EQ) is bipolar with no cut no boost in the middle. A translation is made somewhere in the software and perhaps the same translation would have to be done for the GUI to show relevant values eq. 0 would be 0.485 or so. And then, there might be calibration issues which wouldn't make this easy. When I set automation I simply do the translation in my head so that I stay in the ballpark that was tested when playing in mix view.
I don't recall Ben saying it's on the to do list. I wouldn't mind if it gets done. Just don't want people holding their breathe. Because I do believe he's said, the 32C EQ isn't as simple as most eq's. And if they did put values on it, someone would run pink noise or something through it, and then complain that when I boost 512 hz it's actually boosting 515. Or something like that. So instead just twist the knobs until is sounds right. And then if you need to copy that setting, drag and drop the EQ box from one channel to another channels EQ box. Not sure why else you would need to know exactly what frequency your working with.

And fwiw kush audio plug ins use a similar methodology. Most knobs and meters work, but aren't designed to be specifically descriptive or ultra accurate. They're just there so keep it from being a plain Jane GUI. Let your ears do the work, not your eyes.
My suggestion to resolve this has been to display the value the knob has in terms of its position on, say, a 1-100 scale. The value wouldn't represent a frequency or dB setting; just a position. The project file shows values (on a 0-1 floating point scale) for each of these knobs. Presumably those values are the knob positions.

This would let you copy the value to another EQ, or to set it back exactly where it was after trying a change, but would avoid the issues with what the actual values really are.

The only issue is explaining what the numbers mean (or don't mean) this in the UI.