Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mixbus v4 : Sneak Preview
(03-13-2017, 11:26 AM)Bakhano Wrote:
(03-13-2017, 12:04 AM)Lexridge Wrote: Okay, MP3 export is not native, but why reinvent the wheel? We already have fantastic tools to do that, and they can be added to the export menu as you please (ffmpeg, sox, lame), so it practically is the same as "native", if not better. Tempo Ramps were introduced in MBv4 and have been in Ardour since v5.5.

Not having MP3 export directly from Mixbus as a standard feature can't be "better"...lol...

Hmmm maybe having the choice which encoder to use *is* better?
Once the tool is added to the export options it will be available "directly".
MMM
(03-15-2017, 04:58 AM)Bakhano Wrote: As it is, Mixbus is just lacking the feature to export MP3. We can't be such fanbois that we begin to call bugs "features" and missing features "pluses"....lol...

Actually it was your post, which gave me flawless mp3 export within MB! Big Grin
http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...l#pid19158

I use my "BWF/Session Rate/24Bit + 256mp3" Export-Preset ever since, clearly resulting in proper mp3s.

Maybe Harrison should just make an "official" documentation/how-to/tutorial on how to set up this command-line encoding option...
(03-13-2017, 11:26 AM)Bakhano Wrote: As it is, Mixbus is just lacking the feature to export MP3. We can't be such fanbois that we begin to call bugs "features" and missing features "pluses"....lol...

I'd dare speculate that the feature is missing not because it's "better" as irrationally claimed, but because of some licensing ($) issues...

I Seriously doubt it is a money/licensing issue. It would only cost around $1.50 per user to add it anyway. However, everyone knows that LAME is hands down the best MP3 encoder available, and it's free. Sure, LAME code could possibly be added to Mixbus, but again, why? It is so easy to just add it to your export once, then it remains there forever.

And back to the licensing issues, the patents for MPEG 2 Layer 3 are set to expire this year. This may change things a bit for some companies.

What gets me is after all these years, we are still using MP3s. The format is among the oldest of all lossy audio compression formats. I will take AAC anyday over MP3.
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor 32GB RAM
M-Audio Delta 1010 / Echo AudioFire 12
Mixbus v7.x on Fedora 33 64bit
(03-15-2017, 04:58 AM)Bakhano Wrote: As it is, Mixbus is just lacking the feature to export MP3. We can't be such fanbois that we begin to call bugs "features" and missing features "pluses"....lol...

It's just me... I never missed MP3 export. I also think there are more rewarding goals for developers' time.
MMM
(03-15-2017, 06:37 PM)Bakhano Wrote: Yes, it would be nice if they somehow made it easily available to everyone. I don't know what the official reason is, but if the problem is licensing fees, I'd be more than happy to pay a bit extra to have the feature built into Mixbus. Until then, we can get by with the method you reference!

I was just thinking. It think it might be very easy to create lua scripts to both Import and Export MP3s, AACs, or whatever. I will attempt this over the weekend if time permits.
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor 32GB RAM
M-Audio Delta 1010 / Echo AudioFire 12
Mixbus v7.x on Fedora 33 64bit
Hi

Anyone else had trouble using the new stretch tempo map feature in OSX ?
Please see my post in the Mac section of the forum - just upgraded but cant get this ( very key ) feature to work .

Thanks
Pete
(03-17-2017, 12:19 PM)Lexridge Wrote:
(03-15-2017, 06:37 PM)Bakhano Wrote: Yes, it would be nice if they somehow made it easily available to everyone. I don't know what the official reason is, but if the problem is licensing fees, I'd be more than happy to pay a bit extra to have the feature built into Mixbus. Until then, we can get by with the method you reference!

I was just thinking. It think it might be very easy to create lua scripts to both Import and Export MP3s, AACs, or whatever. I will attempt this over the weekend if time permits.

I did this and it work perfect :-)

Mac Pro i7 3,4Ghz (Hackintosh)| OS X 10.12.6 | 16GB | 500GB SSD/2TB SATA | Interface: Audinst HUD-MX2 DAC | Mixbus 32c & Mixbus 4| Russell Cottier Mixbus Controller | OLLOaudio Play2Me Headphone System |
[/quote]

I Seriously doubt it is a money/licensing issue ... Sure, LAME code could possibly be added to Mixbus, but again, why? It is so easy to just add it to your export once, then it remains there forever. ...
[/quote]

Yes, Reaper uses LAME and it works great. I hate Mp3 but I have to live with it: clients often ask for a hint of added instruments, voice balance, etc, and they get it thru their smartphones, facebook, wapp and so.
Besides, recently I found that if we render our multitrack direct to Mp3, it sounds (a lot) better than doing it from the mixed LR project (in Reaper). As I use MB for final mix, I would desire that I could do the same and get that outstanding Harrison sound also in my Mp3s.
Any Music may go outside the studio must be the better-sounding one -
independent of its resoluction, ins't?