Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
u-he plugins crash mixbus 3.7
I installed 3.7 today and I'm having crashes every 10-15 minutes. 3.6 was quite stable for me, despite some issues with u-he's GUI. Still i had no crashes, now it crashes whenever I try interacting with any of my u-he plugs.

Also, when I try to remove a MIDI track with a u-he synth on it mixbus crashes.
hm, thanks for report. In this case I better stay with 3.6.
Mixbus32c, Mackie Onyx 1640, Neumann km1, WA 47 jr..MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, UA, etc., iPad2/4/Pro
I tried u-he Diva just now, and it works reliably (debian/testing, Mixbus 3.7.22, Diva rev4408), plays in a loop since 30mins now.

I managed to reproduce the crash when removing the MIDI track with Diva, twice earlier. It seems to be erratic, most of the time it works, sometimes it crashes. I'll investigate. I'll keep things playing for a bit longer to check those crashes every 10-15min..

There have only been 3 changes pertaining VST handling since 3.6 and none of them seem relevant here:
* convert VST parameter names to UTF8 --- fixes session re-load for some VSTs tha have a parameter called "µ-iness"
* VST threading: block processing while loading plugin state --- fixes some VSTs that didn't properly restore state
* Fix a crash when toggling back and forth between a generic plugin GUI window and a VST plugin's own GUI

PS. On Linux different versions of Mixbus can be installed at the same time, just say "no" when the 3.7 installer asks to un-install 3.6.

@Overmann, Which u-he plugin(s) are you using? and which version of those?
if I can't find the issues on this system here, would you be willing to help to chase this down?
thank you x42 for testing.

I didn't receive the mail with the 3.7 version yet, as soon as I get it I will also do some tests with Diva, on Windows.

edit: found it. It was in the spam folder, for reasons I don't know. Going to do the tests tomorrow.
Mixbus32c, Mackie Onyx 1640, Neumann km1, WA 47 jr..MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, UA, etc., iPad2/4/Pro
(11-07-2016, 03:45 PM)Phil999 Wrote: thank you x42 for testing.

I didn't receive the mail with the 3.7 version yet, as soon as I get it I will also do some tests with Diva, on Windows.
You should have received the email by now. Please email us so we can help.
I'm testing 3.7 on Mint 17, using jackd, the latest u-he releases,
an i7 8gig ram, intel chip graphics:

the scanning seems awry.
Only Zebra2 and Repro-1 are showing up in the main instrument list,
and they work OK, but none of the other U-he instruments
are in the main list, only in the Creator/Category lists,
and when loaded, they fail to present their audio output for connection.

The flawed condition persists even after clearing everything
and re-scanning multiple times. I can load Zebra2 and Repro-1,
but no other U-he synth opens an audio output
for connection.

I also tried removing all paths except .vst, and also tried linking
the u-he plugins to /usr/lib/lxvst, same results.
Other vsts like zynaddsubfx, oxefm etc could be
added to the session and work OK.

I saved a session with a working zebra2, repro-1, and Beatzille with the
missing audio output, as per the above behavior,
and when I opened the saved session in 3.6,
the Beatzille audio output was available for connection, and works as expected.

Also the 'replace plugin' function in 3.7 appears to be missing in action for me.

Happy hunting! This was quite a large update, not surprising for a bug or two
to sneak aboard.
Cheers
discoDSP Discovery Pro also fails to provide audio out connection in 3.7,
but their Bliss Sampler does provide it. More drama...at least it's not Friday!
Cheers
(11-07-2016, 12:53 PM)x42 Wrote: I tried u-he Diva just now, and it works reliably (debian/testing, Mixbus 3.7.22, Diva rev4408), plays in a loop since 30mins now.

I managed to reproduce the crash when removing the MIDI track with Diva, twice earlier. It seems to be erratic, most of the time it works, sometimes it crashes. I'll investigate. I'll keep things playing for a bit longer to check those crashes every 10-15min..

There have only been 3 changes pertaining VST handling since 3.6 and none of them seem relevant here:
* convert VST parameter names to UTF8 --- fixes session re-load for some VSTs tha have a parameter called "µ-iness"
* VST threading: block processing while loading plugin state --- fixes some VSTs that didn't properly restore state
* Fix a crash when toggling back and forth between a generic plugin GUI window and a VST plugin's own GUI

PS. On Linux different versions of Mixbus can be installed at the same time, just say "no" when the 3.7 installer asks to un-install 3.6.

@Overmann, Which u-he plugin(s) are you using? and which version of those?
if I can't find the issues on this system here, would you be willing to help to chase this down?

That is interesting! Thank you for looking into this. A couple of days ago I managed to get my machine up in a twist and I'll be without a Linux-machine for a while, sadly. Sad

I was using all of u-he's linux betas. None of them worked (perhaps I did not test Diva. I am unsure. I think I tested them all). Ace absolutely did not work, and the uhbik plugins caused crashes as well.
(11-08-2016, 06:34 AM)Overmann Wrote: A couple of days ago I managed to get my machine up in a twist and I'll be without a Linux-machine for a while, sadly. Sad
Hope you get going soon. It is good luck to create
a separate /home partition, so you can choose not to reformat it
when a new install is needed, saves some time setting up
various prefs, keeping a .wine install, .webrowser folders, data etc

The 3.6 demo is on the avlinux bootable dvd, if you get the itch.

Qtractor is very reliable with the commercial linux plugins.
I think Rui has the inside track when it comes to proper linux vst scanning.
Cheers
(11-07-2016, 03:55 PM)Mike@Harrison Wrote: You should have received the email by now. Please email us so we can help.
thank you for the reply. For unknown reasons the mail was in my spam folder, it's alright now. Haven't installed it yet as promised, but will do tomorrow.

And I realised I'm in the wrong forum, I have no Linux installed at the moment. My mind responded to the term 'u-he' and was alarmed, because since recently I usually host Diva and Bazille in Mixbus 32c.

Thank you Mike, this is very kind of you.