Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting foam acoustic panels to stick to the walls
I know I am late to the party, but I run an acoustic manufacturing company that specializes in Shroeder based diffusers. I can tell you that you would be shocked to hear what a properly designed high prime (large) diffuser will do to your room. I have a great performing model that has been proven in the field, and will blow your mind! It affects the bass as well as the mids and highs! check me out at www.srlacoustics.com and call with any questions. I am a Mixbus 32C user and love it!
Interesting that this has popped back up. I’ve recently decided to redo some of my panels I had built previously. After doing some research, I realized I had hadn’t done much properly.

Basically I initially built big 4’ x 6’ panels. However I only used 2” of 703. I had two leaned up in the front corners and one in the center. They basically took up the front of the room. But only being 2” thick weren’t doing much for the bass. I also built some 2’ x 6’ panels for the back Corners. Again only 2” thick. Then I added foam panels around at what I thought were the reflection points. I could clap in there and it sounded pretty dead. I thought I was good.

However that was years ago and I just now “reopened” that room. Mixes just weren’t working. So that’s when I researched. Realized the carpet floor had to go. From some advice on the johnlsayers studio design forums I started redoing panels and making them thicker. They recommended superchunk style absorbers for the corners. So I’ve bought some more insulation. This time Rockwool. I don’t even have the superchunk traps all the way to the ceiling. And nothing at the reflections points. (I repainted and took all the foam I had down). Already my mixes are better, and the mids and lows are so much clearer. And I have a lot still to add. Moral of the story is, do it right to start. Don’t skimp. And it doesn’t have to be expensive. I spent $100 on the insulation. It will take another $2-300 probably. But it’s money well spent in the long term. Still less than new monitors.
(01-16-2019, 11:12 AM)Matt Wrote: Interesting that this has popped back up. I’ve recently decided to redo some of my panels I had built previously. After doing some research, I realized I had hadn’t done much properly.

Basically I initially built big 4’ x 6’ panels. However I only used 2” of 703. I had two leaned up in the front corners and one in the center. They basically took up the front of the room. But only being 2” thick weren’t doing much for the bass. I also built some 2’ x 6’ panels for the back Corners. Again only 2” thick. Then I added foam panels around at what I thought were the reflection points. I could clap in there and it sounded pretty dead. I thought I was good.

However that was years ago and I just now “reopened” that room. Mixes just weren’t working. So that’s when I researched. Realized the carpet floor had to go. From some advice on the johnlsayers studio design forums I started redoing panels and making them thicker. They recommended superchunk style absorbers for the corners. So I’ve bought some more insulation. This time Rockwool. I don’t even have the superchunk traps all the way to the ceiling. And nothing at the reflections points. (I repainted and took all the foam I had down). Already my mixes are better, and the mids and lows are so much clearer. And I have a lot still to add. Moral of the story is, do it right to start. Don’t skimp. And it doesn’t have to be expensive. I spent $100 on the insulation. It will take another $2-300 probably. But it’s money well spent in the long term. Still less than new monitors.
This road is long and full of potholes, detours and downright roadblocks.

If your room is on the smaller side its all about trying to manage the low frequencies. No way to be perfect so its the age old trade off of how much treatment you need and how much you can afford. John Sayers is a real smart guy. So is Acoustic Science.

Do you have the REW measurement software? Its free but you need a measurement mic and a sound pressure meter. Its way above my head but it helped me to see where the huge problems were.

I also use Sonarworks room correction as it came with a measurement mix. Be careful as 32c 5.1 doesn't seem to like it.

Let me know if you would like to see some pics of my room - fourth try. By the way I have 72 or so of the 12 x 12 aurelex panels in my closet to remind me that I am getting smarter but alas I paid for the education.

Mike
Thanks Mike. I’ve been getting advice from the John sayers forum. So yes I have rew and have been taking measurements. Long story as short as I can. When I was still at home, I set up this room by reading what I could about treatment. Then I made some 2” thick 4’x6’ 703 panels and putting those across the corners. You know because having some air behind them is almost as good as having it full of insulation. Then put some foam on the walls “to finish it off”. Not sure if I ever did any measurements. Used it until I moved out.

Now I’m divorced and have moved back in while saving up funds to build a house. Anyway decided to use the room again. I first tried to use some pipe insulation as tube traps in the corners. Wasn’t really helping. So I finally got serious and asked the guys’d at sayers forum. Pulled the carpet and put down wood floor. They said the corner treatment needs to be deep. So I took apart my old panels and cut them for a super chunk style trap. Bought 2 bundles 4” rock wool they had at an insulation supply (it was all they had on hand). Added it and built 2 - 6” deep 2’x4’ first reflection panels. My super chunks aren’t even to the ceiling yet. I need about 2 more feet. Anyway the difference is already huge. My measurements are still showing some issues, but the depth and width detail are so much better. And my mixes are finally translating quite well. So I’m excited to finish the front corners and do what rear corners I can. (There’s a closet that complicates things). Then I’ll probably do a cloud and a few more back and side panels. Anyway the point is simply this.

I’ve spent a couple hundred bucks and have made more improvements than I could have imagined. So before you spend that money elsewhere, fix your room. As best you can. It’s the best money you’ll spend. Because only God knows how much I’ve spent in other gear trying to get great mixes. And I could. But they never translated. They only sounded great in the room. Now they’re finally starting to sound good everywhere. Smile
(01-24-2019, 06:12 PM)Matt Wrote: Thanks Mike. I’ve been getting advice from the John sayers forum. So yes I have rew and have been taking measurements. Long story as short as I can. When I was still at home, I set up this room by reading what I could about treatment. Then I made some 2” thick 4’x6’ 703 panels and putting those across the corners. You know because having some air behind them is almost as good as having it full of insulation. Then put some foam on the walls “to finish it off”. Not sure if I ever did any measurements. Used it until I moved out.

Now I’m divorced and have moved back in while saving up funds to build a house. Anyway decided to use the room again. I first tried to use some pipe insulation as tube traps in the corners. Wasn’t really helping. So I finally got serious and asked the guys’d at sayers forum. Pulled the carpet and put down wood floor. They said the corner treatment needs to be deep. So I took apart my old panels and cut them for a super chunk style trap. Bought 2 bundles 4” rock wool they had at an insulation supply (it was all they had on hand). Added it and built 2 - 6” deep 2’x4’ first reflection panels. My super chunks aren’t even to the ceiling yet. I need about 2 more feet. Anyway the difference is already huge. My measurements are still showing some issues, but the depth and width detail are so much better. And my mixes are finally translating quite well. So I’m excited to finish the front corners and do what rear corners I can. (There’s a closet that complicates things). Then I’ll probably do a cloud and a few more back and side panels. Anyway the point is simply this.

I’ve spent a couple hundred bucks and have made more improvements than I could have imagined. So before you spend that money elsewhere, fix your room. As best you can. It’s the best money you’ll spend. Because only God knows how much I’ve spent in other gear trying to get great mixes. And I could. But they never translated. They only sounded great in the room. Now they’re finally starting to sound good everywhere. Smile
Matt,

Been thru the divorce thing. All ill say is I wish her well.

Sounds like you have a plan. As Oat Willie says "Onward thru the Fog".

I spent about $1,500 So far on my room.

Then I spent about $3,000 on upgrading my transducers-speakers.

Just spent $2,000 yesterday on a RME ADI-2 DAC and a faderport 16.

Decided to go in that order so that I could actually hear the difference the converter makes, at least that's the plan.

We shall see next week if the plan comes together!

Mike
Hey Mike
Def keep us posted on what you think. My plan is to do a bit more. Don’t want to spend too much. This is mostly temporary. My plan is to build a place that has at least a control room and a live room (that doubles as a home theater). At that point I’ll be taking my time to do every little detail right. And after seeing what some of the people do on John Sayers forum, I’m really excited about that. Smile