Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting foam acoustic panels to stick to the walls
(09-29-2016, 03:51 AM)Frank Wrote: A good and simple way of treating studio walls is simple and natural : I use shelves of books. The have the mass, the irregular surface area ( Do not use encyclopedia´s )

whenever i enter a library with filled walls my ears confirm

Regards

By the way ebooks do not work, even if you have millions...
Spot on Frank, a mix of soft fabric furniture, curtains, book cases and complex shaped objects will create a nice room. Old fashioned drawing rooms with lots of fabric and paintings plus ornate objects make great spaces to record in. A studio doesn't always have to look like a studio. Some of the sweetest rooms are more like a living room or big play space.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
+1 for the T-Pins. Once pushed in on the edge or the corner of a foam piece, they are barely noticeable. Would be best if you could black T-Pins instead of chrome!
If you are purchasing suplies, this place has some great materials with reasonable prices.

https://www.atsacoustics.com/

Also, agree with Frank's use of book shelves. I told someone they work like a QRD without the math...

Bruce
We moved recently so I took off the foam panels held to the wall with t-pins. practically no traces left. No need to work on the wall for the buyers of the house. Now, in the new house... I've heard that sticking foam panels to the wall is not as good as having woodd panels on which the foam is tacked while these panels hang close to the wall, suspended, but not on the wall itself. Comments ?

Cheers.
I have friends on the Klipsch forums who do that for their music rooms, first reflection ponts, bass traps, etc. They can be made attractive if you want. You can make frames for Rocksul (sp?), with fabric coverings. Makes it nicer looking.
(09-08-2017, 05:40 PM)jonetsu Wrote: We moved recently so I took off the foam panels held to the wall with t-pins. practically no traces left. No need to work on the wall for the buyers of the house. Now, in the new house... I've heard that sticking foam panels to the wall is not as good as having woodd panels on which the foam is tacked while these panels hang close to the wall, suspended, but not on the wall itself. Comments ?

Cheers.

From my reading there's isn't really any foam products that help much in the lower regions. And that's where most issues are. So something built with rockwool or semi rigid fiberglass insulation is a better option. I made some with Owens Corning 703. But location will dictate what the best option is price wise. And next time I'm doing a room, I'm building the tube style traps for at least the corners.

https://sonicscoop.com/2017/02/16/diy-ac...ube-traps/
Best to use acoustic panels for walls. Acoustic treatment is usually done on walls or ceilings. Our environmental friendly acoustic panels for walls are widely used in classrooms, recording studios, conference rooms, hotel lobby, auditorium, education facilities, leisure centres, reception areas, studio sound, and so on.
The whole floor in my shed studio is a bass trap and so are the anti-reflection panels to the sides of the desk and behind. Approximate combined range 50-300Hz, however, one of my neighbours' pool pump resonates inside my shed, need to check if I can do anything - or do something else for these 30 minutes a day Smile
The whole ceiling is a diffusor.
The whole shed is *not* airtight, thus not overly sound proofing but at the same time avoiding heavy bass nodes.
MMM

Looks nice. What's the reason for having two different sections of floors, one made with lumber and the other seemingly with sheets or some other way ?

Cheers.
(10-06-2018, 04:59 AM)jonetsu Wrote: Looks nice. What's the reason for having two different sections of floors, one made with lumber and the other seemingly with sheets or some other way ?

The picture is not very talking, obviously Smile It's a shot at construction time, half finished.
The whole floor is elevated by 70mm and filled with earth wool. So in the front you see the supporting construction while in the back the planking is in already. The decking planks are 19mm thick and I put them in with a gap between them, approximately 7mm. The underfloor construction makes up different size chambers, the gap between the planks together with the thickness makeas a "bottleneck" and all together this forms a Helmholtz Resonator.
Here's a pic from the old studio, making it much clearer.

Cheers,
MMM