Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best LTS Distro for Audio
(01-16-2017, 06:03 PM)Klaus Wrote:
(01-15-2017, 06:03 PM)Sthauge Wrote: When you install Linux, you usually got the option to manually configure your hard drive(s). If you select this option you will see your previous partitions and you can mount they the way you like and format what's needed. You usually will not format your "home" partition if you want to keep your private files, Mixbus sessions etc.

Thanks Sthauge
I just tried it and booted from the DVD installer, selected the FAT32 partition ( that should get mounted at boottome ) / double clicked it and in the dialog set mount point to '/'
left the installer ( leaving the previously installation intact ) and rebooted,
but the FAT32 partition doesn't get mounted automatically at boottime…
Could you give me step by step instructions ?
Thank you
and best regards

Klaus
Hi Klaus

I have never ever heard that someone have used a FAT32 as the system partition on Linux. FAT32 is'nt a Linux file system. Linux have the possibility to mount them and read/write to them if you have the right software installed. You may already know, but here is an ordinary partition setup for a Linux system:

"/" is the "root" partition. It contain the Linux system and all your installed programs. It's a good idea to format this as EXT2(this IS a Linux files system). This is a none journaling file system. In this partition it is replaceable systemfiles and there are almost no "disk write" to the system files, so using EXT2 will reduce the disk i/o to this partition to a minimum. This partition should be fomattet at installation time. I always format this partition if I do a clean install. 15-30 Gb of size should be OK for most systems. SSD harddisks is a good choice because of high reading speed and little write operations to the disk.

"/SWAP" is what is named, a swap partition. You only have to allocate proper space for it, Linux will format it by it selves. Size depend on your system size.

"/HOME" is the partition for your private files, documents, photos, MB sessions ect. This partition should be formatted(NB only first time setup) as EXT4. EXT4 is a journaling file system, that will help you recover your data in case of disk problems due to power failures etc. If you install a new version(not updating) or reinstall to make a new "clean" installation, do NOT format this partition, only specify the mount point "/HOME".

You could chose to make a "/VAR" partition also. It is included in "/" if you do not allocate it, so there is no need for it to be a specified partition. It contains you system variable files, so it is at lot read/write to it. It could be ok to separate it from the "/" and put it on an ordinary hard drive because of heavy write operations. It can also be formatted as "EXT2", no need to have the journaling overhead for cache, temporary installation files etc.

I hope this helps, and as I said, I think your problem is trying to use a none Linux file system as the Linux system partition.

Steinar :-)

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
(01-17-2017, 06:42 AM)Sthauge Wrote:
(01-16-2017, 06:03 PM)Klaus Wrote:
(01-15-2017, 06:03 PM)Sthauge Wrote: When you install Linux, you usually got the option to manually configure your hard drive(s). If you select this option you will see your previous partitions and you can mount they the way you like and format what's needed. You usually will not format your "home" partition if you want to keep your private files, Mixbus sessions etc.

Thanks Sthauge
I just tried it and booted from the DVD installer, selected the FAT32 partition ( that should get mounted at boottome ) / double clicked it and in the dialog set mount point to '/'
left the installer ( leaving the previously installation intact ) and rebooted,
but the FAT32 partition doesn't get mounted automatically at boottime…
Could you give me step by step instructions ?
Thank you
and best regards

Klaus
Hi Klaus

I have never ever heard that someone have used a FAT32 as the system partition on Linux. FAT32 is'nt a Linux file system. Linux have the possibility to mount them and read/write to them if you have the right software installed. You may already know, but here is an ordinary partition setup for a Linux system:

"/" is the "root" partition. It contain the Linux system and all your installed programs. It's a good idea to format this as EXT2(this IS a Linux files system). This is a none journaling file system. In this partition it is replaceable systemfiles and there are almost no "disk write" to the system files, so using EXT2 will reduce the disk i/o to this partition to a minimum. This partition should be fomattet at installation time. I always format this partition if I do a clean install. 15-30 Gb of size should be OK for most systems. SSD harddisks is a good choice because of high reading speed and little write operations to the disk.

"/SWAP" is what is named, a swap partition. You only have to allocate proper space for it, Linux will format it by it selves. Size depend on your system size.

"/HOME" is the partition for your private files, documents, photos, MB sessions ect. This partition should be formatted(NB only first time setup) as EXT4. EXT4 is a journaling file system, that will help you recover your data in case of disk problems due to power failures etc. If you install a new version(not updating) or reinstall to make a new "clean" installation, do NOT format this partition, only specify the mount point "/HOME".

You could chose to make a "/VAR" partition also. It is included in "/" if you do not allocate it, so there is no need for it to be a specified partition. It contains you system variable files, so it is at lot read/write to it. It could be ok to separate it from the "/" and put it on an ordinary hard drive because of heavy write operations. It can also be formatted as "EXT2", no need to have the journaling overhead for cache, temporary installation files etc.

I hope this helps, and as I said, I think your problem is trying to use a none Linux file system as the Linux system partition.

Thanks Steinar,
I have no problems installing Linux…
I thought Sthauge said earlier something about defining a FAT32 partition that already exists at install time to mount automatically,
but until now, no luck with this.
This FAT32 partition is the file storage / exchange place between different OSs, and OSX mounts it automatically at boot, but Linux not yet…
I probably have to dive into fstab…unless a FAT32 partition can be defined as 'auto mount' at install time
Thanks to everyone who helps !

Best

Klaus
Macmini core2duo / i7
OS 10.10-10.13
http://www.redmountain.ch/X32CoreFOHandBandclient.jpg
(01-17-2017, 10:53 AM)Klaus Wrote: I probably have to dive into fstab…unless a FAT32 partition can be defined as 'auto mount' at install time

IMHO getting to know fstab is generally a good idea - it's just good to know a bit about the system you are using. And I also wouldn't want to reinstall the whole OS just to get something auto mounted.
Disclaimer: Any resemblance of my nick with a given engineer is purely coincidental!
Desktop: AMD Phenom II x6, 4 GB RAM, Radeon graphics, RME HDSP 9652
Laptop: Thinkpad E560, i3 6100U, 8 GB RAM, Intel graphics, Tascam US-2x2
X32 Rack - Debian GNU/Linux - 32c
First, "sthauge" is my userID, "Steinar" is my name eg. same person. :-)

You said this in a previus post: "selected the FAT32 partition (that should get mounted at boot time) / double clicked it(the FAT32 partition - my commet) and in the dialog set mount point to '/' "

My understanding of this sentence is that you trying to mount the FAT32 partition as the "/" mount point - right? Your Linux system partition is "/", so if I understand your sentence and what you are doing correct, you will not get your FAT32 partition mounted. You either got a conflict with your real system partition or FAT32 is not supported as a Linux system partition. You have to name your own mount point in the dialog eg. "/EXCH" or whatever you like.

If you give the FAT32 partition a correct mount point it will probably get mounted at boot time. If not, your right about tweaking the FSTAB could be one option or you can type a short script that mount the partition for you at startup.

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
That previous post also said "...left the installer ( leaving the previously installation intact ) and rebooted,".

So basically you were doing... nothing? The installer is for installing the OS - not for modifying an existing installation.
Disclaimer: Any resemblance of my nick with a given engineer is purely coincidental!
Desktop: AMD Phenom II x6, 4 GB RAM, Radeon graphics, RME HDSP 9652
Laptop: Thinkpad E560, i3 6100U, 8 GB RAM, Intel graphics, Tascam US-2x2
X32 Rack - Debian GNU/Linux - 32c
ok, I'm having to dive into the fstab thing, and also into permission behaviors in Linux…
OSX has a 'ignore ownership on this volume' button, does something similar exist in Linux ?
After all, I'm the only person using my computers…
The ones that are online, I don't tweak…
Thanks

Klaus
Macmini core2duo / i7
OS 10.10-10.13
http://www.redmountain.ch/X32CoreFOHandBandclient.jpg
Hi,

This tutorial (setup) helped me alot to the get everything up and running. Been using it for couple of days and it works great.

Linux Audio Production Setup - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5LNm33BC_I&t=1137s