Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best LTS Distro for Audio
Parole: deleted
against of parole (not good imo) i use VLC
for my dual boot win10 pro/linux i use ntfs-config : i can share all my data on win and linux (even audio sessions)
Hd1 : win10/linux : I can open an audio session on reaper on windows then on linux on mixbus as all my sessions are on a single HD (thx to ntfs confif it works "OTB")
HD2: data (for both OS) and they launch and mount with ntfs config
I'm sure you ll find a solution for your mac. (same kind of thing)
for my audio Waves/ AAC I connect my ipod classic to my PC under linux with gtkpod and it works
if you need itunes for movies, keep 1 partition for mac os.
then I make a ghost of HD1 (with both OS) with CLONEZILLA

regards Smile
Harrison Mixbus 4.3|Reaper5|Waveform8| Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS
(01-13-2017, 08:27 AM)Klaus Wrote: I'm testing out LInux and like it so far - except
- Parole Music player crash on quit prevents the whole rig from shut down or reboot
- no automatic mounting of FAT32 and HFS+ partitions
- permission problems to write to these
- can't prevent automatic booting on linux when power is applied to the machine.

Which Linux distro are you testing currently?
- Music player: I'm quite happy with Clementine
- automatic mounting of FAT32 (USB sticks?) should work, write issues are unfortunately possible in Debian based distros, sometimes it needs a line in /etc/fstab, sometimes exactly that line causes the issues :-(
- automatic booting after power return? That's actually a BIOS setting... no idea about Mac but I wouldn't be surprised if they have undertaken great efforts to make the life of other users as hard as possible

MMM
(01-13-2017, 09:02 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(01-13-2017, 08:27 AM)Klaus Wrote: I'm testing out LInux and like it so far - except
- Parole Music player crash on quit prevents the whole rig from shut down or reboot
- no automatic mounting of FAT32 and HFS+ partitions
- permission problems to write to these
- can't prevent automatic booting on linux when power is applied to the machine.

- automatic mounting of FAT32 (USB sticks?) should work, write issues are unfortunately possible in Debian based distros, sometimes it needs a line in /etc/fstab, sometimes exactly that line causes the issues :-(
- automatic booting after power return? That's actually a BIOS setting... no idea about Mac but I wouldn't be surprised if they have undertaken great efforts to make the life of other users as hard as possible

MMM

Testing 16.04.1 LTS Ubuntu Studio now…don't know what it is 'based' on

Other music players are in the testpipe…too

automatic booting after power applied ( cold ) : If booted into OSX previously > not a problem… anyone ? Is there a terminal command to verify / switch this off ?

Thanks

Klaus
Macmini core2duo / i7
OS 10.10-10.13
http://www.redmountain.ch/X32CoreFOHandBandclient.jpg
(01-13-2017, 05:59 AM)Ilaw Wrote: . left a trillion of expensive daws for mixbus.

i been there, done that : and we are not the only ones. MMM is one of them too

(01-13-2017, 05:59 AM)Ilaw Wrote: Done with ILOKS steinberg's keys and other craps. If someone thinks i'm crazy no pro (as i'm no pro i don't care) or idiot because i'm not using anymore my waves and slate, I don't care too. Tongue After ages of buying everything new on the market, from cakewalk to protools, logic pro9 to LPX, samplitude and sonar, studio one and many many others, left all that cr... for Mixbus,( waiting for mixbus 4 / ardour5 based) and reaper.

I occasionally surrender to a free plug in. And a flood of marketing follows. and i see just considering takes too much time..

Just learning what a plugin does takes considerable time..

(01-13-2017, 05:59 AM)Ilaw Wrote: Actually leaving mac os too as I see no new macs usable for music prod. Everyone knows the only serious choice we have on mac system are hacks, but as I don't want to spend my time and money fighting against the machine, i'm done with this too.

Have the same feelings : Do not like to be pushed in Itunes, Icloud etc.
But i still need it for my Instruments. I am first a player and i use a lot of VSTi for that : mainly Reaktor . whish NI and Air would port their work to Linux. Must not be so difficult if already ported to BSD.

Planning to make a virtualised mac for the instruments : couple via Netjack.
and make Super Collider my own to create new ibstrumensts on linux.

(01-13-2017, 05:59 AM)Ilaw Wrote: win10 is nice after all but linux works better for music prod. Linux for music linux for internet etc. works fine, costs nothing and unbreakable. and LEGAL. Linux everywhere. PC everywhere, dongles, activations, and other craps nowhere in my house/work.

Left Windows long time ago. They insisted om my resignation , because i refused to sign there non disclosure agreements. They were conflicting with our local laws, and proper code of conduct.

(01-13-2017, 05:59 AM)Ilaw Wrote: with ardour we have dozens of excellents plugins. Who seriously needs 100 versions of neve preamp ?
Against of buying all emulations, people should take ONE REAL preamp, put it on the rack and they'll be done for 10 years !

Preamps have not been my focus (yet?) .
Most of what i do is life. No space for can you do it again because i want a different preamp setting. Happy what my converters do : all Focusrite. I have a Liquid ( pre amp emulator) waiting to be touched.

(01-13-2017, 05:59 AM)Ilaw Wrote: My projects for 2017/2018 ?
New PC (powerfull one) on xeon or coreI7 on linux with SSD 2 DATA discs
nvidia Geforce for video
maybe soundcraft MTK 22 signature
500 series (I prefer buying 1 real hardware than 10 expensive softwares)
1 control surface
Linux
basta ! Smile

When i get time i get my super server hooked up which will do all processing. Locked in a separate room where it can howl its fans.

It will connect to a Display server X-windows wise. a separate audio server will connect netjack in : firewire out to the converters. The server does not have Firewire for that.

Live I have Macs : which will slowly be fased out to Linux ..

Regards
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(01-14-2017, 03:03 AM)Klaus Wrote:

MMM

automatic booting after power applied ( cold ) : If booted into OSX previously > not a problem… anyone ? Is there a terminal command to verify / switch this off ?

Thanks

Klaus
[/quote]

Ubuntu is based on Debian

Why not testing 16.10 ?

I see automatic mounting on all removeable media

Except on HFS+ because i have no stick on that.

How bootsetting of your mini can be altered Boot settings

regards
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(01-14-2017, 08:46 AM)Frank Wrote:
(01-14-2017, 03:03 AM)Klaus Wrote:

MMM

Thanks

Klaus

Ubuntu is based on Debian

Why not testing 16.10 ?

regards
[/quote]

Thank you Frank

16.10 seems a bit to much on the bleeding edge…
Removable drives work, it's the separate partitions - even FAT32 - that don't get mounted at boottime.
Re : bootsetting of your mini, If you use rEFInd as bootmanager, and happen to use Mac start up controlpanel, it will defeat rEFInd bootmanager, and will hafe to be reinstalled…
Anyon e here happen to use rEFInd who could advice ?
Best

Klaus
Macmini core2duo / i7
OS 10.10-10.13
(01-15-2017, 08:46 AM)Klaus Wrote:
(01-14-2017, 08:46 AM)Frank Wrote: Ubuntu is based on Debian

Why not testing 16.10 ?

regards

Thank you Frank

Removable drives work, it's the separate partitions - even FAT32 - that don't get mounted at boottime.
Re : bootsetting of your mini, If you use rEFInd as bootmanager, and happen to use Mac start up controlpanel, it will defeat rEFInd bootmanager, and will hafe to be reinstalled…
Best

Klaus

There is nothing bleeding edge on 16.10: is a stable version. 17.4 alfa or betaś would be.

During installation one can define the partions already there to be mounted : and the file type they are supposed to be. Just do not format them.
But not mounted available drives appear on your desktop. And clicking on them mounts them. If not right click on your desktop, and go to Icons. There one can select which icons you want : choose filesystems.

I am not good at EFI stuff sorry

regards
Frank W. Kooistra

(01-15-2017, 11:48 AM)Frank Wrote:
(01-15-2017, 08:46 AM)Klaus Wrote:
(01-14-2017, 08:46 AM)Frank Wrote: Ubuntu is based on Debian

Why not testing 16.10 ?

regards

Thank you Frank

Best

Klaus

There is nothing bleeding edge on 16.10: is a stable version. 17.4 alfa or betaś would be.

During installation one can define the partions already there to be mounted : and the file type they are supposed to be. Just do not format them.
But not mounted available drives appear on your desktop. And clicking on them mounts them. If not right click on your desktop, and go to Icons. There one can select which icons you want : choose filesystems.

I am not good at EFI stuff sorry

regards

- Ubuntu Studio 16.10 Released
( release notes )
We are happy to announce the release of our latest version, Ubuntu Studio 16.10 Yakkety Yak! As a regular version, it will be supported for 9 months. Since it’s just out, you may experience some issues, so you might want to wait a bit before upgrading. Please see the release notes for a complete list of changes and known issues.
- Re : During installation one can define the partions already there to be mounted ,
I don't remember seeing anything of this during the install…
???
Automatic mounting of an FAT32 partition is needed since the Music player boots automatically ( autostart apps ) and needs the filesystem where it's audio is.
I know I can double click that partition, but I'm trying to set up a work-rig that has everything I need after boot
I may test 16.10 though
Thanks Frank
and best regards

Klaus
Macmini core2duo / i7
OS 10.10-10.13
When you install Linux, you usually got the option to manually configure your hard drive(s). If you select this option you will see your previous partitions and you can mount they the way you like and format what's needed. You usually will not format your "home" partition if you want to keep your private files, Mixbus sessions etc.

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
(01-15-2017, 06:03 PM)Sthauge Wrote: When you install Linux, you usually got the option to manually configure your hard drive(s). If you select this option you will see your previous partitions and you can mount they the way you like and format what's needed. You usually will not format your "home" partition if you want to keep your private files, Mixbus sessions etc.

Thanks Sthauge
I just tried it and booted from the DVD installer, selected the FAT32 partition ( that should get mounted at boottome ) / double clicked it and in the dialog set mount point to '/'
left the installer ( leaving the previously installation intact ) and rebooted,
but the FAT32 partition doesn't get mounted automatically at boottime…
Could you give me step by step instructions ?
Thank you
and best regards

Klaus
Macmini core2duo / i7
OS 10.10-10.13